Michigan and the UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quiltlady

We recently made reservations to go to Michigan and the UP. Everything I is see seemed to be open. Has anyone been there recently? Is that your experience. Thank you.

We were there in May and had a GREAT time. Everything was open and fully booked up so make sure you get reservations for the places you really want to stay.

In the UP we stayed in Munising at a "city" owned park right on Lake Superior-Munising Tourist Park Campground. It was a great location to tour around the West end of the UP.

Michigan has some wonderful campgrounds and locations. You're sure to have a great time.

We were there in May and had a GREAT time. Everything was open and fully booked up so make sure you get reservations for the places you really want to stay.

In the UP we stayed in Munising at a "city" owned park right on Lake Superior-Munising Tourist Park Campground. It was a great location to tour around the West end of the UP.

Michigan has some wonderful campgrounds and locations. You're sure to have a great time.
Thank you for your feedback. We have all of our reservations, so we are good to go.

Have not been there in years.. But I love the UP I mean "God's Country"

IN fact there is a sign in the UP "Welcome to Paradise... Glad you made it"

They are not kidding :)

Now the major concern in all the USA is COVID.. I just checked the NYTimes page on this and it shows the UP is fairly cool
Most of the counties I scanned over were below 2 in 100,000 citizens new infections (I'm not sure the UP has 100,000 citizens.. ok that's a joke but I know one county that has 8 full time citizens) And the General Store.... Run by a pair of Ham Radio Operators.

Have not been there in years.. But I love the UP I mean "God's Country"

IN fact there is a sign in the UP "Welcome to Paradise... Glad you made it"

They are not kidding :)

Now the major concern in all the USA is COVID.. I just checked the NYTimes page on this and it shows the UP is fairly cool
Most of the counties I scanned over were below 2 in 100,000 citizens new infections (I'm not sure the UP has 100,000 citizens.. ok that's a joke but I know one county that has 8 full time citizens) And the General Store.... Run by a pair of Ham Radio Operators.
Thank you. We won't actually arrive there until Sept, so hoping everything stays "cool". A lot can happen between now and then. Thanks.

Quilt,
John is right. What he does not tell you is why he is FROM Detroit. The only problem the UP has had is that the governess wanted to treat the entire state like it is that one city....
Really, when they had telephone books, the UP was all in one 1/4 inch thick book and that included the Yellow Page.
We love the UP, but I hate crossing the bridge to get there because they can't count axles, only tires in side view. So they charge us like a Greyhound bus.
Matt

We just returned from the UP,, toured the Keweenaw peninsula at length and gained an insight into the history of ships groundings and and the hardy folks that settled the area. Worth spending twice the time we used..>>>Dan ( A beautiful RV place is the union city Big Bear Campgrounds just west of Okanogan..)

Beautiful country with plenty to see and do. We were there in June (2017) and sadly the mosquitos were horrendous. Cooking outdoors and evening campfires were out of the question.

Go figure,, we went very prepared and found nothing that took away from the enjoyment.>>>D
( Altho my dog did get a tick while there,, coller and all.)

If you want to see the big lake freightors up close, try Aune Osborn Campground one mile east of the Soo Locks. It is a city park and water and electric only, but is located where Lake Superior enters the St, Mary's River as it heads for Lake Huron. You can wave at people on the decks. Aune Osborn Campground | saultcity. There is a web site that shows you where each ship is on the Great Lakes and when they are expected to go through the locks. Get a waterfront site, if you can, but there are no trees, so your view will be blocked only by other campers.

Wow, thank you for the info. We are excited about our trip and looking forward to going to Soo Locks. I'll check this CG out. Thank you.

Our drive from Wisconsin across rt 2 last fall was some of the best foliage you could ask for. It peaked late September last year, but is remarkable a few weeks.

If conditions are right, get up to the north coast of the UP to see the aurora borealis.. the view north looking over Lake Superior is exceptionally light-free.

Also if time allows, the northern part of the lower peninsula has a lot to see and do, too. We really like the Leelanau Peninsula and Grand Traverse Bay.

Last edited:
Thank you. We will be in Empire, near Traverse City early Sept and on the UP Sept 11 thru the 21st so we are hoping to see some fall colors. We would love to see some Northern Lights if possible.

We recently made reservations to go to Michigan and the UP. Everything I is see seemed to be open. Has anyone been there recently? Is that your experience. Thank you.
Just got back. Nothing I saw was closed. Roads are horrible!

Oh my. Glad things are open. Not looking forward to the bad roads, but we are trying to park the MH in one location for several days and travel around in the car. Thank you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom