Microwave convection oven

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Last year, being used to a trailer with a full propane oven, I was concerned that 90% of the motorhomes I have been looking at did not have standard burner ovens.  Instead they have microwave convection oven and just burner tops.

This forum pretty much convinced me that with the microwave convection oven I would not miss the old fashioned type of oven.  I do not have first hand experience, but I trust the folks enough on this forum to feel certain I will be happy with the change.

That said, the Admiral asked me a perplexing question.  She knows that metal utensils or wrappings cannot be used in a microwave.  She wants to know what utensils to use if she is going to bake a roast or a turkey, or a pie, etc.

You wouldn't be baking or roasting with the microwave function, you would be using the convection oven feature and you can use the same dishes that you would use in a conventional oven.  When using the microwave feature, the usual restrictions apply.

Howdy, Smokey.

That said, the Admiral asked me a perplexing question.  She knows that metal utensils or wrappings cannot be used in a microwave.  She wants to know what utensils to use if she is going to bake a roast or a turkey, or a pie, etc.

In my Sharp microwave/convection oven, it is OK to use metal utensils in the Convection mode.  My understanding is that Convection cooking is  done by circulating hot air throughout the oven cavity. I rely a lot on the operation manual. :D

Regards,
Liz

If your microwave/convection has a "fast bake" mode, then it probably uses a BOTH microwave and convection when in that mode. In that case, microwave restrictions likely still apply.  Check the manual for the oven to be sure. Standard convection cooking has no restrictions, as others have already advised.

For what it's worth, on our GE Spacemaker, Nancy has not found "Fast Bake" to be notably faster than standard bake (convection only) so she never uses it.

Smokey,

My Magic Chef is a full cooktop/oven and, quite frankly, I don't use it (the oven) that much except for the occasional pizza. Without a top broiler burner, it can't be used for steaks anyway, so most of the time it's used to store larger pots and pans. Seriously considering replacing it with a convection/micro and using the gained space for a cabinet, but the downside is that you need shore power or be running your genset; not a big deal UNLESS you plan to do a lot of baking/broiling/roasting.

As an aside. DiGiorno now makes thin crust pizzas that are square. Fit well into the freezer - not like those round things! ?

Smoky said:
That said, the Admiral asked me a perplexing question.? She knows that metal utensils or wrappings cannot be used in a microwave.? She wants to know what utensils to use if she is going to bake a roast or a turkey, or a pie, etc.

Smoky,
I use? Pyrex glass baking dishes for most items that I cook? in the convection oven.? They also work in the microwave.? I have 3 sizes.? The 9x13,? a? 2 quart 11x7? and a smaller one for meatloaf/ sizes. They stack nicely inside of one another with little foam piece between them to prevent rattling.? If you use the large one the? oven will not turn and this is a problem.? I mostly use the 11x7 size.? I just noted a big metal cake type pan in the cupboard when I was looking for the sizes and noted I never use it.? Next stop I will? give it away. At one of the seminars I attended they said you should not carry any dish that will not have multiple uses.

I did not believe this until I had been on the road a year.? THEN I gave my cupboards a good look to remove the unused pieces.?

Betty

RTFM.  ;D The manual that comes with the oven covers what you can use and what you can't. It's a pretty thick manual so don't let your legs fall asleep.  ;)

I think it is better I let Sam answer this one.  Heres Sam.

Hi..

when using the microwave use only glass dishes; Corelle or Corning ware.  When using the convection oven, metal pans can be used.  The instruction book that comes with the microwave will have all the info that you need.  Hope that helps.

Betty Brewer said:
? and a smaller one for meatloaf

Is that the one you use when you have George and Pam over for dinner?? ?;D ;D ;D

No , it's Pam's job to feed meatoaf to George.? The dish would be? way too small for that meal.

Betty

Thanks again all for the great answers.  I believe Sharon also talked with Sam about this over the phone.  As long as the Admirals have worked this out I won't worry about it any more.  :D

Smoky said:
Thanks again all for the great answers.? I believe Sharon also talked with Sam about this over the phone.? As long as the Admirals have worked this out I won't worry about it any more.? ?:D

Do you know the make and model of the microwave.  You should be able to get a copy of the applicable manual on line.

I should know the make and model in another couple days or three.  and have a brand new manual to go with it!!
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

In my Sharp Carousel convection/microwave over I can use whatever metal dish I want. I just have to be careful that it doesn't topuch the sides which will produce sparks.

Woody

Back
Top Bottom