Mildew Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zkweber7

My RV is in Florida, and it's developed mildew on all the seals around the doors and windows.

I've been told that bleach will destroy the rubber seal.? Is that true?? If so, does anyone know of a way to remove the mildew?

Use a bleach solution rather than full strength bleach and it won't bother the rubber at all.  You can make it fairly strong, 10-15% bleach, but be careful of cloting, your eyes, etc.  A heavy duty cleaner such as Simple Green or Mean Green also helps.

The bad news is that the mold tends to get down into the pores of the rubber and cab be very stubborn to remove, even though the bleach solution may have killed it.  Sometimes replacing the rubber is the only way to get it looking clean again.

In addition to Gary's suggestion to use a bleach solution, you may want to try commercially made mildew removers.  I've seen them on sale at Home Depot and Lowes.

Have you checked your roof and awnings for mildew as well,,these are places where mildew in Florida often grows. :(

All the  "mildew remover" products I've seen have the same active ingredient - sodium hypochlroite, just like household bleach. Usually the same percentage too.  Check the labels before you buy - plain old laundry bleach is probaly only 1/10 the cost.

If that's all it is Gary, then you're right.  Gosh, I thought they might have contained a heavy duty, professional quality new improved formula ??? ;D

Not that I know of, Steve, but check the labels the next time you see one.  I haven't looked at one in awhile either, so who knows? Maybe there is something new besides the ads on the label.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom