Minimizing heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerd

Well-known member
Joined
May 29, 2018
Posts
621
Location
MN
Our group decided this past weekend that we were going to boondock more next year to avoid all of the shenanigans of the party animals at regular camp sites. Our camper gets pretty hot, as I am sure most others do. We do have AC, but I am trying to avoid running the generator so we can enjoy the peace and quiet. I added blackout curtains, mirror tint and a windshield reflector, which all seem to help. What else can I do to minimize heat absorption? We have fiberglass siding, an aluminum roof, and I also added Camco vent covers so I can keep the vents open when it rains.
 
Parking under a large shady tree helps a whole bunch for me. Start the A/C long before you need it, pre-cool the rig. I also run a lot of small fans. I almost always have one blowing directly on me.
 
I had an aluminum roof on my old class C.  Dang the roof got hot.  Maybe consider painting it white with the special sealer you can get at Home Depot etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-75-Gal-587-100-Acrylic-Dura-Brite-White-Elastomeric-Roof-Coating-HE587871/202091022?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD22%7C22-10_ROOFING%7CGeneric%7CLIA%7c71700000044086327%7c58700004607994977%7c92700038798651175&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp5_qBRDBARIsANxdcimpCZMl2wY5gzIeYY9roCdkkt4LsuflVa3hYkMKuUlJM59muMOAtMwaAvrqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
 
SpencerPJ said:
I had an aluminum roof on my old class C.  Dang the roof got hot.  Maybe consider painting it white with the special sealer you can get at Home Depot etc.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-4-75-Gal-587-100-Acrylic-Dura-Brite-White-Elastomeric-Roof-Coating-HE587871/202091022?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CG%7CBase%7CD22%7C22-10_ROOFING%7CGeneric%7CLIA%7c71700000044086327%7c58700004607994977%7c92700038798651175&gclid=Cj0KCQjwp5_qBRDBARIsANxdcimpCZMl2wY5gzIeYY9roCdkkt4LsuflVa3hYkMKuUlJM59muMOAtMwaAvrqEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

X's 2
 
SeilerBird said:
Parking under a large shady tree helps a whole bunch for me. Start the A/C long before you need it, pre-cool the rig. I also run a lot of small fans. I almost always have one blowing directly on me.
The spot that we plan to go to doesn't really have trees, so we would be parking in the sun. I don't currently have a generator, so I won't be able to run the A/C. I am trying to do what I can without electricity...at least minimal. I have 2 house batteries, but that's it.

SpencerPJ said:
I had an aluminum roof on my old class C.  Dang the roof got hot.  Maybe consider painting it white with the special sealer you can get at Home Depot etc.
Which is better; acrylic or silicone? I've heard it both ways. I would think that silicone would insulate better, but it may peel. Acrylic on the other hand, I think would stick, but may be prone to cracking. I have never painted a roof before, so I don't know how each one reacts over time.
 
I have heard good things about the Henry's, the link I sent you.  Also has good reviews. 
Since you really are only looking at the white, cooler reflecting property, I'm not sure it matters. 
 
Hi,

Besides lighter colors, putting reflective bubble wrap in the windows should help keep the cool in or in the cold the heat in. I use vent pillows which really seem to help quite a bit with the heat. Natural shade (like Seilerbird said) helps a lot.
 
All the above are good ideas, but I've found the key is to stop heat before it enters, this means exterior shade screens for all windows. You can get them custom made, then attach snaps to your rig and snap them in place. I would recommend 90% black screening. This blocks 90% of the light/heat and the black obstructs your view out the least (vs ones that are lighter colored such as white or tan). These will make a dramatic difference in heat buildup as you're stopping it before it even touches the glass. And you get this benefit while still enjoying your view.
 
I agree with the exterior screens, but not the color.  Lighter shades reflect the sun's rays better in my opinion.  We have a very light beige, almost white, windshield sun screen that works quite well.

An example of reflection is to stand near cars sitting in the sun as we once did.  They were lined up in a row - black, very light gray, and white.  You could barely touch the black one with your finger.  You could place your hand briefly on the gray one.  You could put your hand on the white one and leave it longer than the gray.  I always wonder why people buy black vehicles when they live in the desert because they absorb heat, not reflect it..

ArdraF
 
Bob Wells (cheaprvliving.com) is a big fan of solar shade cloth.  It's open weave lets air through while blocking the sun's heat.  This lets you use it in winds that would give fits to solid tarps or awnings.

He says black works better than white, it absorbs more heat that is then dissipated into the air around the cloth instead of continuing through to the area underneath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH62mPCQARs

 
ArdraF said:
I always wonder why people buy black vehicles when they live in the desert because they absorb heat, not reflect it..

I also wonder why Car Manufacturers seem to have 95% black dashboards.  It drives me nuts.  I like a cooler tan or grey dash and seats, and they are harder and harder to find.
 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
132,775
Posts
1,400,641
Members
138,401
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom