Mississippi has free dump stations at every rest stop. So, we decided to use one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Humanaquarian

BIG MISTAKE!!!
That thing was full and well... a lake of unfortunate splillage formed. The wife and I barely got out unscathed.
What the hell, Mississippi?!

On another note... how do you know if a tank is full, besides the obvious?

I usually open the dump drain cover and shine a flashlight into it to see if appears full or nearly so, before I decide to proceed with using the dump station. Also check that the rinse water hydrant is functional. And why do I do that?... I think you found the answer.  Free isn't always dependable.

Whenever I hook up to a dump connection, I always do a short grey water dump first to check for any problems like a leak or backup without making a significant mess. That's no guarantee that the dump site tank won't back up part way through dumping of course...

Sometimes it's ignorance of what the dumps are, and what they are used for. I went to a state park some years back and while hooking up the sewer I noted something shiny it the pipe. Getting an awning rod, I pulled out two empty beer cans.  The ranger was driving by and so I informed him about it. He wasn't surprised as a rental RV had been there the night before with foreign visitors driving it that only spoke broken english. 

Apparently they just assumed that the pipe was just for any refuse, and used it accordingly. I guess it was not an unusual occurrence. 

Georgia used to do that and some other states too.. I played nice with a rest stop/welcome center attendant in Ga and was told that the problem is kids dump rocks, sticks, metal rods and other crap down the drain that breaks the lift pumps and/or clogs the line..  Vandals ..

Too bad that some of the Rest stops have not gotten the idea of a viceo camera focused on the dump and then recorded say a week at a time and when the drain is clogged or pump breakes.  Play back the tapes in rapid reverse till they spot the vandals.. Then send 'em a bill..  A very very very BIG bill plus 90 days or so as a guest of the county doing public service work.

Thank goodness - Now I know Mississippi is a great place to take a dump!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom