Mksmilen alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mksmilen

Is there anyone out there driving a 30ft rig with a toad alone? If so how difficult is it being alone.

I'm not alone, but my wife's health issues often means she's not able to assist me in setting up or breaking down for travel, including managing our toad. The actual toad hooking up or unhooking process is easy enough for me to handle alone. The only issue at times is what to do with the toad when arriving or leaving back in sites, but I've found ways around that including parking the toad temporarily as close as practical to the site, or at least within a reasonable distance. For hooking up, sometimes I just pull the motorhome out of the site enough to back the toad all the way in before backing the motorhome back in to hook up. Of course pull-through sites make life a bit easier when available. What issues are you seeing as potential issues?

I do, what are your concerns? As Dutch said, hooking and unhooking aren't a big deal. The only thing I can't do is back up with the toad attached. This has only been a problem a couple of times and it isn't that big of a deal to unhitch the toad, turn the motorhome around and hitch it back up.

I travel alone now, in a 37' coach. The toad isn't an issue.
My wife usually handled all the inside prep, while I handled anything outside, including hooking up the Jeep. I just have to remember to make sure all the cabinets and drawers are latched and the coffee maker is placed on the floor.

I drove a 38' with towed from 2005 to 2013 with wife along. (I only drove it) And from Easter 2013 to last October 15 alone.. Now it's totaled (That actually happened earlier in the year and I was parked at the time) but it was not that much of a problem. But then I grew up on a farm so things like backing into a site is something I've been doing since pre-teens.

I'm not alone, but my wife's health issues often means she's not able to assist me in setting up or breaking down for travel, including managing our toad. The actual toad hooking up or unhooking process is easy enough for me to handle alone. The only issue at times is what to do with the toad when arriving or leaving back in sites, but I've found ways around that including parking the toad temporarily as close as practical to the site, or at least within a reasonable distance. For hooking up, sometimes I just pull the motorhome out of the site enough to back the toad all the way in before backing the motorhome back in to hook up. Of course pull-through sites make life a bit easier when available. What issues are you seeing as potential issues?
Thank you so much for answering! I have not begun my journey with full time rving yet, I’m trying to figure out all potential problems I may have doing it alone. I just needed to hear it is possible to boost my confidence. You have done that! I appreciate it! Blessings and health to you and your wife!

I do, what are your concerns? As Dutch said, hooking and unhooking aren't a big deal. The only thing I can't do is back up with the toad attached. This has only been a problem a couple of times and it isn't that big of a deal to unhitch the toad, turn the motorhome around and hitch it back up.
Thank you for your reply! I just needed to hear that there were others out there able to navigate the issue of unhooking when pulling into a site that wasn’t a pull through by their selves, as I will be doing this alone.

I drove a 38' with towed from 2005 to 2013 with wife along. (I only drove it) And from Easter 2013 to last October 15 alone.. Now it's totaled (That actually happened earlier in the year and I was parked at the time) but it was not that much of a problem. But then I grew up on a farm so things like backing into a site is something I've been doing since pre-teens.
So sorry to here it was totaled! Hope you will be able to get a different rig and travel again! I’m glad to here all the positive remarks, this builds my confidence! I’m in the process of downsizing so I can purchase a rig and get on the road.

I travel alone now, in a 37' coach. The toad isn't an issue.
My wife usually handled all the inside prep, while I handled anything outside, including hooking up the Jeep. I just have to remember to make sure all the cabinets and drawers are latched and the coffee maker is placed on the floor.

Back
Top Bottom