Moab guide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skookum

Thinking of looking into a guide service for a trip to Moab this Spring. An experience not too extreme and with good scenery. Any recommendations?

I dont know about guide services, but my favorite place to visit in the Moab area is Dead Horse State Park. I would camp here if possible. Incrediable views not to far from the parking lot. 2000' drops into the canyon with the Colorado river snaking though the canyon. Magnificant color and rock formations. Note Arches National park requires a park pass to get in. Reserve it as soon as possible. Have fun. Dennis

The parks in the area are all really easy to get around yourself. You don't need to walk far to see great views.

Happy to give you suggestions.

Jeep rental easy and still plenty of spots you can get to without being on really bad roads.

What are you specifically looking for?

The Moab area has Arches National Park, Dead Horse Point State Park, numerous trails for 4WD vehicles, and river trips along the Colorado. The Utah tourist information website (VisitUtah.com) is fabulous, much better than most. You could map out your own tour without a guide, based on what you want to do. Note it gets HOT in Moab in the summer, like 100+ during the day to a low of 80 at night. Spring and fall are much more reasonable.

March and October are the two busiest months. We learned this the hard way last October. People from all over the world. Lots of bicyclists.
We visited there in ’88 or ‘89 when population was about 4000 and it’s still a small town. We enjoy it. Recommend the Hole in the wall.

The parks in the area are all really easy to get around yourself. You don't need to walk far to see great views.

Happy to give you suggestions.

Jeep rental easy and still plenty of spots you can get to without being on really bad roads.

What are you specifically looking for?

Thanks Jackie. We'll be at Portal RV resort (already have reservations) and towing our Jeep.

Looking for a day-trip adventure(s) on a Jeep trail(s). No imminent body damage nor do I want to fear for my life. Something with some good scenery or a destination, enough to get out and push the capabilities of the Jeep and driver.

The Jeep is a JK Wrangler (2-door) with AEV parts- bumpers, lift. It's on 33's, 3.73's, 6-speed. No lockers, but it does have a limited-slip. The rig has been all over Montana up in mining country over the years so we're not beginners, but we will be new to Moab, and smooth rock. It's got a winch.

Basically the worry is we don't want to spend our limited time on this trip driving all over to find and try something if we don't know it's going to be great. That's where I think a guide might help, but I've run into some good information on trails just reading online.

Curious what others may have done or if there as a specific service anyone can recommend.

Do a search on the Forum as we used to have an annual Rally there. We attended around 2010 and had no difficulty finding lots of good off road trails. Seems to me that there were several guide books for sale listing the trails and their level of difficulty, you may try a Google search to see if any are available. We really enjoyed the trail from Dead House Park to Moab where several scenes from Back to the Future was filmed.

Ed

"Fear for your life"? It depends on if you enjoy driving on the edge of 500 foot cliffs or not. A 1964 Chevrolet Impala conquered Moab. My folks had one when I was a kid.

Last edited:
Thanks Jackie. We'll be at Portal RV resort (already have reservations) and towing our Jeep.

Looking for a day-trip adventure(s) on a Jeep trail(s). No imminent body damage nor do I want to fear for my life. Something with some good scenery or a destination, enough to get out and push the capabilities of the Jeep and driver.

The Jeep is a JK Wrangler (2-door) with AEV parts- bumpers, lift. It's on 33's, 3.73's, 6-speed. No lockers, but it does have a limited-slip. The rig has been all over Montana up in mining country over the years so we're not beginners, but we will be new to Moab, and smooth rock. It's got a winch.

Basically the worry is we don't want to spend our limited time on this trip driving all over to find and try something if we don't know it's going to be great. That's where I think a guide might help, but I've run into some good information on trails just reading online.

Curious what others may have done or if there as a specific service anyone can recommend.
I'll give you some ideas. Do you want to see petroglyphs too?

Last edited:
Thinking of looking into a guide service for a trip to Moab this Spring. An experience not too extreme and with good scenery. Any recommendations?
Hopefully you'll receive plenty of suggestions from our members &/or from forum searches.

If you're a Western movie fan, be sure to visit the Museum of Film and Western Heritage, downstairs at the Red Cliffs Lodge (alongside the Colorado River).

Just make sure you don’t come around Easter. That is Jeep week, and everything with 50 miles is full.

One of these years I’d kinda like to be part of the EJS hype just to see all the crazy rigs and watching people wheel like they’re sponsored. Just once would be enough for me.

We will be avoiding the week(s) around Easter for this trip, though.

A few years back, when I was at Moab, I picked up an interesting book entitled Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells. It has 55 trails with 60 maps, plus GPS waypoints. He also rates the trails as Easy, Moderate and Difficult. He also talks about specific National and State Parks, as well as some hints/suggestions on etiquette and techniques needed on many of these trails.

As you may gather, I found it very useful

A few years back, when I was at Moab, I picked up an interesting book entitled Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells. It has 55 trails with 60 maps, plus GPS waypoints. He also rates the trails as Easy, Moderate and Difficult. He also talks about specific National and State Parks, as well as some hints/suggestions on etiquette and techniques needed on many of these trails.

As you may gather, I found it very useful
Thanks for the reminder Larry, I think I bought the same book; It's probably on my bookshelf back home in CA.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom