Mobley Died -- Repair or Replace with Something

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

So here are the facts:

1. While plugged in and getting internet normally, the Internet connectivity suddenly stopped on July 10.

2. Device gets power. The reset button does not turn the left light to red, and then back to green. When depressed, light stays green

3. Called AT&T Advanced Tech Support which did a good job of running diagnostics and checking for cell/internet service in the area which was good.

4. AT&T decided it was the SIM card so they sent a new one.

5. Called AT&T today to activate new SIM, but I still don't have service. They say the card is activated. Had me call Connected Car, which then sends you to ZTE.

6. ZTE claims it is a hardware problem with the device and I should send it in for repair - cost is $59.00

Has anyone had a Mobley repaired by ZTE?

Is there another AT&T Hotspot device I should consider purchasing rather than repair the Mobley? Or should I just have the Mobley repaired?

Please refrain from discussing primary cell phone plans. I'm not interested in them. I just want to have AT&T hotspot capability such as that provided by the Mobley. I already have Verizon hotspot capability.

Thanks to all who can help.

Linda

I would suggest you have it repaired, there is no direct replacement that provides the same functionality as the mobley and the unlimited plan.

I have one also, I would repair it. Where else can you get $20 internet.

Linda if you search this forum for 'Mobley' you will find the ZTE router can be replaced by a non ZTE router and how it is done.

Jennifer

Linda if you search this forum for 'Mobley' you will find the ZTE router can be replaced by a non ZTE router and how it is done.

Jennifer
yes it can, but because of the devices IMEI difference, you will stand the chance of deactivation or disconnection at the least. AT&T used to be lenient with "unknown" devices on specific accounts but in recent years they have been enforcing IMEI compliance, especially with the ipad plans. there is a way to circumvent these issues, but the legality of it it is questionable which is why I have not suggested it.

Thanks all. I have researched AT&T hotspot devices which they sell. Not impressed with reviews.

Then I looked up current AT&T hotspot plans and the table comparing plans is confusing. They list an unlimited data plan for $50/mo, but under the Hotspot column show 10GB. ??? Don't understand what they are indicating. Obviously I would need to clarify this with AT&T.

Also I think I can use any device that uses a SIM card for an AT&T account i.e. not purchased from AT&T -- as long as it isn't flagged by them as fraudulent merchandise. Some purchased on Amazon have been so flagged.

About convinced to just send the Mobley back for repair.

What a pain!

Linda

Linda,
We put our Mobley sim in a Netgear 815S that we bought off of Amazon right after we got the Mobley. We still have the Mobley device but have always used the jet pack. Of course I think there are better ones out now like maybe the Nighthawk I think it’s called. Since we could use an antenna with the jet pack for better signal, we just always used it.
Vicki

I still have a working Mobley that I carry with me "just in case." But I moved the SIM card to a Netgear Nighhawk MiFi/Router a few years ago and have no desire to move back to the Mobley.

The Nighthawk is a super capable device and routinely sees speeds 3 to 5 times higher than the Mobley. I've had zero trouble from ATT as they seem to not have any desire to stop this SIM moving practice.

Now, the Nighthawk costs ~$200 or so so it's not a cost saving thing to be sure. But the Nighthawk has great features and especially helpful is the dual Antenna ports on the bottom (TS-9 ports). If you get the Nighthawk be sure to also get the Netgear MiMo Antenna for about $50. It's plugs into the nighthawk's antenna ports and in many case work better than a Weboost cellular booster to improve your signal.

One thing to be aware of - ATT forced out a firmware "upgrade" about 2-years ago that put a hidden PIN code lock on the SIM card. The idea was probably to stop folks from moving the SIM to other devices. But ATT will give you the info to bypass this PIN code without any charge or question. It's just something you need to be aware of.

ALSO - notice that not all Mobley's got this firmware update and hidden PIN. My Mobley was purchased directly from ZTE and not ATT. These devices didn't get that update. You can tell if you have this SIM Code issue if you put the SIM card in a different device and you get a request for the PIN code to confirm the move.

We put our Mobley sim in a Netgear 815S that we bought off of Amazon right after we got the Mobley. We still have the Mobley device but have always used the jet pack.
Hello Vicki and Mark
So nice to hear from you. So, regarding the above. What procedure did you go through to activate the SIM in the netgear router? What plan do you have for data/internet? Is it a stand-alone hotspot plan or is it tied to your cellular phone plan?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm on a steep curve.

I think I discovered I owe you a phone call!

Thanks for the info.

Linda

Not Vicki or Mark - but generally you don't do anything to activate a Mobley SIM card when you move it to a new device. You simply move the card. Of course unless you receive a request for the PIN number of the SIM then see above for details.

I've had zero trouble from ATT as they seem to not have any desire to stop this SIM moving practice.
Thank you creativepart.

How does the information you've provided jive with the info from solarman's post who warns against moving SIM cards? What is "enforcing IMEI compliance"? and does it have any bearing on your info?

Just trying to learn. And trying to determine what AT&T is doing now compared to 1-3 years ago.

Linda

Hello Vicki and Mark
So nice to hear from you. So, regarding the above. What procedure did you go through to activate the SIM in the netgear router? What plan do you have for data/internet? Is it a stand-alone hotspot plan or is it tied to your cellular phone plan?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm on a steep curve.

I think I discovered I owe you a phone call!

Thanks for the info.

Linda
As creativepart stated, there wasn’t a procedure. We just put the SIM card in and it worked. It’s the stand-alone $20 unlimited hot spot Mobley plan. Of course that was before the update with the pin codes. We called and got the pin codes just in case we ever need them but it has never asked for it. HTH.
Vicki

Moving a sim from a Mobley involves having to call AT&T and ask for the PUK code, which most AT&T reps will tell you if you simply ask for it, after confirming your identity as the account owner. Just don't tell them too much information, keep the conversation simple, don't tell them what you are doing or why, just tell them your device got accidentally locked and you need the PUK code. Here is a link to a portion of a message thread discussing the process AT&T Stand alone AT&T Unlimited ZTE Mobley Hotspot now only $20!!!!! - Page 445

here is the info on IMEI.

it is used by the telco to identify the device, AT&T have recently ( from the advise of an AT&T engineer acquaintance ) begun to take a more detailed "look" at connected devices and verify the IMEI against the device registered on account creation. I'm told that if the user stays under a certain data threshold, he/she will be overlooked(for now), large data users will be suspended until they insert the sim in the correct device.
there is BTW, a facebook forum called "lte hacks" specifically aimed at people circumventing such restrictions.
now, you may be ok for a certain time, but who knows how this will play out long term..
in the case of the Mobley device, the lawyers that wrote the terms of service were idiots and left gaping holes in the TOS and users have capitalized on this. apparently, the TOS does not limit the device to a vehicle and can be used 24/7 with an adapter in a home etc.. That's why the device had such a short lifespan. AT&T fixed their mistake with the replacement device the "harmon spark". the TOS on this device prevents it from being used anywhere except a vehicle, it plugs into the OBD port and talks to your car. it will disable itself if it cant verify it's actually in a vehicle.
so yes, you can put the SIM into another device and it may well work for a certain time and then stop, it's
a risk and it's your choice of course..

Thank you all so very much!! And ---Thank you solarman. I know that was a long reply but it is exactly what I needed. I read about the Harmans, and determined it was not an option for the reason you stated. At this point, it appears to be how much $$$ do I want to part with - both in a new device and a more expensive plan.. Mobley repair is the cheaper route, but now I also know what I'm looking at down the road if that option fails for some reason.

Much obliged to all.

Linda

Moving a sim from a Mobley involves having to call AT&T and ask for the PUK code, which most AT&T reps will tell you if you simply ask for it, after confirming your identity as the account owner. Just don't tell them too much information,
Hi Isaac-1

So I read the info you linked and this is gonna sound dumb, but . . they talk about "entering" PINs, PUK codes -- on a Mobley and other devices. How? The Mobley doesn't have a key-pad, how do you enter something? How do you enter a PIN on another device - is there a screen or keypad on them?

I know this is basic info to you gurus, but it's all new to me.

Mucho thanks

Linda

Most other devices you may move the SIM to will have a touch screen, for the Mobley the PIN code can be entered through the web interface 192.168.1.1 with password attadmin though if PIN is set to anything other than the hidden PIN set by the bios upgrade then you must log in with PIN before it will connect to the internet each time the Mobley boots up.

If you move the Mobley SIM to another compatible device (mine is in a Netgear 815S), this one needs to go through using the PUK code to unlock the device, then set a PIN which would need to used each time to connect to the internet, then after that step is done you can set it to no PIN needed and it will clear the PIN code.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom