Mold on soft spots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csarm

I recently got a 2000 Forest River Sandpiper and it's in pretty good condition, but there are some soft spots in the wooden walls and floor. I live in AZ and this RV has been in dry Arizona for at least a year (if not it's whole life), and there hasn't been a hard rain in months, so I doubt there's any mold, but I'd like to just be sure. I'd prefer not to remove the wallpaper to check for mold. What are some good ways to find out if there is any mold on the soft spots or anywhere else in the trailer?

To adequately check your going to have to strip the wall and floor. If stuff has or was wet for aby length of time guaranteed you will find mold

Maybe no mold in many parts of Arizona, and even if there is it may not be anything harmful. Folks tend to get panicky when they hear "mold" these days, but there are a zillions molds and only a few are troublesome unless you have some specific mold allergies.

Since there is no practical way for you to test this short of lifting the covering (a test lab could do it with a syringe), I'd ignore the possibility as long as the surface is firm.

Having just replaced two bathrooms in my S&B due to water damage, if it was ever wet it's not a matter of if there's mold, it's how much. Once water gets into a wall or floor it takes a very long time to dry back out again and fiberglass insulation is the worst. My take on it is if you're OK with the structural integrity of what's there, seal it up so whatever mold may be there won't circulate within the interior space. In my view if it's "soft" the ship has sailed in terms of integrity, but depending on what you want to do with this unit it might be OK once the damage has been contained.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

My home inspector recommended Timbrol, sodium borate for pests mold mildew. Available online but use with caution.

Back
Top Bottom