Mold (?) Spots on Rubber Roof - Treatment and Recoating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eastfork

Hello All, I have a 1998 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision motorhome with a 'rubber' roof, which is speckled with black / gray spots that look like mold. My hope is to kill whatever is causing the spots, and to coat the roof with some kind of rubber roof-renew product. For those of you who have dealt with this same issue, what did you do and which products do you recommend? Thanks very much.

Attachments

• IMG_3423.jpeg
    IMG_3423.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3425.jpeg
    IMG_3425.jpeg
    196.4 KB · Views: 7
The first thing to do is to scrub it well with some good quality rubber roof cleaner and a good stiff brush. Once it is cleaned thoroughly you can better access what needs to be done. Of course this does assume that it isn't leaking. If it has no leaks there is Dicor coating kit for it, as they are most likely the company that made your roof material. There are also a number of other options that may be a better choice, depending on how long you expect to keep this RV. You may want to consider one of the products like RV Armor or similar product.

Yes that is mold.
Mix up a strong mixture of bleach and some Spic and Span liquid detergent. Then wash the roof with a stiff brush. Do a small area maybe 8’ X 8’ at a time. Then rinse real good including the sides of the rv. You may have to wash it a couple of times

Try THEFORD's Black streak remover. I get mold on the under side of my canopy and that work's to get rid on the mold.

Wi1dBi11

Yes that is mold.
Mix up a strong mixture of bleach and some Spic and Span liquid detergent. Then wash the roof with a stiff brush. Do a small area maybe 8’ X 8’ at a time. Then rinse real good including the sides of the rv. You may have to wash it a couple of times
I do that with every roof scrubbing, but not a strong mixture. I use approx. 3 oz bleach and a cup of auto wash soap in a 5G bucket of water. It does work well, I scrub my RV roof 3-4X a year and it remains free of mold/mildew, as does the awnings.

The first thing to do is to scrub it well with some good quality rubber roof cleaner and a good stiff brush.
Yeap, and Rene described that cleaner - a goodly dose of bleach and a heavy duty detergent cleaner. No need to worry about damaging the EPDM - it is sturdy stuff. Just avoid solvents (lacquer thinner, napthat, etc) that will penetrate and loosed the glue that holds it down. Rinse well and wash down the sides of the RV to get rid of the gunk removed from the roof.

Once clean, you can recoat with any quality EPDM rubber roof coat. Dicor and others make coatings for RV roofs, but commercial roof products such as Henry's Tropicool work fine too.

30 second mold and mildew cleaner works as advertised. spray it on let it set about a minute brush and rinse .

Back
Top Bottom