Monaco Knight v.s. Allegro Bus Please help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Torchbearer

I have been searching for a  motor home as I have posted previously.  I finally decided to go with a 2007 Monaco Knight 40QST.  A dealer that I have become friends with called me and said he just got in a 2006 Allegro Bus 40QDP.  The price of the 2 are within a couple $1000 dollars of eachother.  I am not familiar with the Allegro Bus.  I would like opinions on these 2 motor homes to help me decide if I should go with the Knight or seriously consider the Bus.  I realize the Bus is a couple of price ranges above the Knight as a new product and that is why i am trying to decide. Thanks.

Tiffin, the maker of Allegro Bus, has a great reputation among owners of Tiffin products.

We have a Monaco Camelot, but seriously considered an Allegro Bus at one point. My guess is we would have been every bit as happy as we are with our Monaco.

If I were shopping and those were the choices the Allegro would be my choice. ?I think if you investigate you will find the Allegro has IFS (Independent Front Suspension) ?Monaco does not offer IFS. ?Now Monaco is a fine coach but IMHO it could be much improved with IFS.

We have owned two coaches without IFS and now have the Eagle that has IFS. ?Having owned and driven coaches with and without IFS I would not any DP without IFS.

Bottom line I think you would be much happier with the Allegro.

Torchbearer,

We have an Allegro Bus and love it.  Don't get me wrong, I think both motorhomes are great.  Tiffin is marvelous to work with.  We have had a couple of things that needed to be fixed and they were right on it.

As Ron says, our Allegro has IFS and we can get that thing in and out of all sort of tight places because you can cut the wheels close to 50 degrees.  Ours is only 35' so it's a bit shorter.  My only thinking on your decision is if the Allegro is used since you say it's a 2006 and the Monaco is a 2007.

Marsha

I recently gave considerable thought to an 03  Allegro Bus and problably should have purchased it, but I think they are one to top notch Working man's MH out there.  It just wasn't equiped exactly as I wanted it.  Recently also look at some new AB's  Wow they sure are nicel

Hi Torchbrearer,

I think you'll find the Allegro Bus is an upgrade from the Monaco Knight. It has real wood cabinets and that's probably only the beginning. I would suggest getting a list of what is included in the Bus. I think that is where Allegro starts putting in the optional heated tile floor. I'm sure there are many other upgrades possible. The Knight most likely has wood doors but not wood framing. The whole coach should be much better than the knight as long as it has been cared for properly.

People waving the flag for IFS need to take a look under the front ends of the semi's running down the road and then scratch their heads and wonder why they'll see solid axle front ends.  I drive a Corvette with 4-wheel in dependant suspension but a coach with a solid axle.  As I tried to say before, a good solid axle beats a poor IFS hands down.  Drive and then buy what feels right.

I should have put this in my original post, the Allegro Bus has 3,000 miles on it.  The guy that owned it used a couple of times and had it in a garage.  Thanks for all of the feedback so far.  I am scheduled to see the Allegro Bus on Friday.  This was kind of a last minute thing, I had already made up my mind on the Knight and a dealer friend of mine called me and said he had one of the nicest coaches he has ever had coming in this week and wanted me to check it out.  The Knight has an unusual flloor plan and I have just fallen in love with and so has my wife.  I feel that I must check out the AB because it is an opportunity to get into a coach I probably couldn't afford new.  The Knight has several advantages; 1) It is new  2) It comes with a $750 gas card 3) The dealer threw in a 5 year warranty.  I don't know if I could work any of this in to the AB deal.  All that said, I still want to hear from you guys opinions on what I should do or look for. Thanks

The Knight has several advantages; 1) It is new  2) It comes with a $750 gas card 3) The dealer threw in a 5 year warranty.

Lets examine the  real benefit of the listed advantages.  1 Its new - suffer the big depreciation hit.  2 $750 gas card - just peanuts compared to what is being spent. 3. The dealer isn't really giving you much.  The coach allready comes with a three year warranty.  You probably can get a warranty on the AB.  I still recommend the AB.

If this is the one on the internet for 216K  It's over priced according to the NADA  without trade you can buy a 2007 for close to that figure.

As others have said, the Allegro Bus is further upscale than the Knight. Although we own a Monaco, I'd recommend the AB over the Knight, but not because of the IFS; The Knight will handle very well on the RR8R chassis with H-frame sub-chassis and has a 50 degree wheel cut. Check out the video here for further explanation. But the Knight is lower in the Monaco range and isn't intended to compete with the AB.

Hi Torchbearer,

Please remember one thing if nothing else.....a dealer NEVER gives you anything!!! :) They will make it look good but unless you are actually pushing them to throw something extra in the deal you will end up paying for whatever they offer. I don't know if anyone mentioned this before but you should expect at least 25% off the list price without having to argue. If you can get more than that or get them to throw in extras you are doing well. One thing I always tried to get them to do is add window awnings for free. Now many coaches already come with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom