Monaco Knight

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tmac

Hi,

Would be interested in any comments or advice on the Monaco Knight. The rig we're looking at is a 2001 34-ft w/12,000 miles. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Monaco makes a good product and I've yet to talk to anyone who was unhappy with theirs. Of course, they have a range of products with an accompanying range of prices.

I see you've asked a question about horsepower in another discussion and have received some responses.

Thanks, Tom

Was it ok to make different posts on two topics? Even if they're sorta related?

Tom

Tom,

Your two posts were fine. Since they had different subject lines, it makes it easier for others to find them the way you posted them. Apologies if I confused anyone by cross-linking your messages.

Tom, you're probably right but we did have a very bad experience with Monaco.

We purchased a 2001 Monarch new and never made a trip in the four years we owned it without a problem that made us enjoy the trip less.

Now it could be that we had the less expensive Monaco but it's the same company.

The chassis was Ford and we had absolutely no problem with it.  In fact, I love the Ford V-10 and had it in the Monaco and the '98 Itasca before it.

We had a water leak in the passenger floor that eventually rotted the carpet.  They said it was normal condensation and did nothing.

We had two of the windows loose their seal and get moisture inside and they said it was normal wear and tear and did nothing.  We finally couldn't even see out of the passengers window and the mirror.

The living room slide kept shearing the pins and when the factory warranty stopped repairing it I had to learn how to do it myself.  And, I don't like tinkering.

We just traded it for a new RV and the main reason we took a beating by trading it in instead of selling it ourselves is that I didn't want to take advantage of someone like Monaco did of me.

The brochure, we had when we purchased it, showed a spare tire as standard equipment and the unit we bought had a place for the spare.  When I got home and found it wasn't there I called and they simply said that it was a mid-year change to delete the spare.  Even though I had the brochure they informed me that I should read the 'disclaimer' in fine print that gives them the right to make changes.  No spare tire and no offer to help get one.

Personally, and I hope I'm not sounding like a complainer, I'd never reccommend Monaco to anyone.

Sorry!

Sorry to hear about those problems you had with the Monarch. Monaco's lack of support is very surprising because, when we were at their service centers in Oregon and Indiana, folks were raving about how Monaco was continuing to support their older coaches; These included the ones built by other companies that Monaco subsequently purchased, although the coaches were long out of warranty.

I had issues with terrible dealer support, which was why I chose to visit the factory service centers., but the folks at the service centers wouldn't let us leave until we were happy with the coach.

Didn't realize the Monarch was built on a Ford chassis; I thought Monaco built all their own chassis at their Roadmaster chassis plant in Indiana  ???  I must not have been paying enough attention when I took the Roadmaster tour a few years ago - the guy was pointing out which chassis was for which model coach, but I think I was focused on the one for our Camelot.

the main reason we took a beating by trading it in instead of selling it ourselves is that I didn't want to take advantage of someone .....

I understand how you felt. When we "traded" our old Pace Arrow I didn't want to take anything for it, although I had to charge the dealer the obligatory $1 to be able to transfer title. I made it an "as is" deal and listed everything I knew that was wrong with the old coach on the bill of sale. I probably left a chunk of change on the table, but my conscience is clear.

Gypsy,

It sounds like you were having an issue with  Monarch model and it sounds like the DEALER was not being responsive to your needs which is unfortunate.  Having just returned from the Monaco Factory in Indiana I san say that Monaco is the only company I know of that manufactures their own chassis and house.  They have several improvements over many other quality RV brands, including a custom chassis made to carry the weight where an RV has it (in the side and baggage compartments) and not in the center like a truck chassis (Freightliner).  And they have a hung wall which allows for more insulation in the sidewalls (2.5" as opposed to 2") which makes for more comfort.  Of course I sell Monaco's for a living but I also repeasent 3 other DP lines and in my opinion at the Knight Price point, it cant be beat.

The MONARCH is a GAS model - not on a ROADMASTER chassis.  It is produced on a purchased gas chassis - much like all other GAS motorhomes - and MONACO makes only the "house" portion. 

I regret adding additional diversion from the original topic of the thread, but I'd like to know WHERE in the motorhome this "condensation" took place and collected?

MonacoMoe said:
It sounds like you were having an issue with  Monarch model and it sounds like the DEALER was not being responsive to your needs which is unfortunate.  Having just returned from the Monaco Factory in Indiana I san say that Monaco is the only company I know of that manufactures their own chassis and house.  They have several improvements over many other quality RV brands, including a custom chassis made to carry the weight where an RV has it (in the side and baggage compartments) and not in the center like a truck chassis (Freightliner).  And they have a hung wall which allows for more insulation in the sidewalls (2.5" as opposed to 2") which makes for more comfort.  Of course I sell Monaco's for a living but I also repeasent 3 other DP lines and in my opinion at the Knight Price point, it cant be beat.

Besides Monaco, Country Coach, Alpine, Bluebird, Foretravel (might have changed with new ownership) and Newell also build their own chassis.

Freightliner is NOT a truck chassis, it is derived from the Oshkosh RV chassis and is built in the Freightliner Custom Chassis factory far away from the nearest FL truck factory. To the best of my knowledge, Spartan and Freightliner chassis also are designed with side loads in consideration. I don't believe that Monaco uses more sidewall insulation that Travel Supreme.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom