Monaco's new Marketing /Pricing strategy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

Monaco recently introduced a new program called Partners for the Future at its 06 introductions in LV. My understanding from published reports is that the program will financially reward dealers who devote more lot and showroom space to Monaco. They stated that the present customer expectation of 20-30 percent off MRSP regardless of such factors as a companies longevity in business and other measures was irrational. I assume this is a slap at all the new entrants such as Alfa See Ya and many others. They stated that there surveys show that customers would be willing to pay a 5% premium (but not much more) for a Monaco brand and dealers should go for it. They intend to raise the MSRP by 2% but hold invoice price for dealers who participate in plan to allow them some extra profit margin.? ?

On the build side they say they are implementing new design checking software that should eliminate design errors in build and will have automatic painting for full body paint in place soon.?

The beat goes on.

blueblood said:
They stated that the present customer expectation of 20-30 percent off MRSP regardless of such factors as a companies longevity in business and other measures was irrational.

Leo,

In a pig's eye!!

Jim Dick said:
Leo,

In a pig's eye!!

Jim - well I understand what you say - do you know the derivation of the saying ? looked on web but no real answer that I can find. Just wasting time on a cool mountain in UT  ;D

blueblood said:
Jim - well I understand what you say - do you know the derivation of the saying ? looked on web but no real answer that I can find. Just wasting time on a cool mountain in UT  ;D

Hi Leo,

I can't say I do but just remember it from my younger days. It would be interesting to find out the origin. I guess most people understand even though they don't know the root source. ;D Actually I should have also quoted the part about paying a 5% premium! That's even worse!!!!

Jim/Leo

Are you sure it's not "a pig's ear"? From Red Herrings And White Elephants by Albert Jack:

To make a pig's ear out of something is to attempt a task and get it so badly wrong the effort is useless. The phrase dates back to the Middle Ages when it was said that the only part of a pig that could not be eaten or used in any way was the ear. Therefore, any craftsman or (usually) apprentice making something ineffective or unusable was considered to have produced a pig's ear.

Tom,

I can't say it isn't a pig's ear but I have always remembered the eye. Of course things do get changed over the years. Kinda like surnames. ;D ;D

I think you're at the wrong end of the pig's anatomy.

LOL Ned, you never ate rump steak or pig's trotters?

Jim Dick said:
Tom,

I can't say it isn't a pig's ear but I have always remembered the eye. Of course things do get changed over the years. Kinda like surnames. ;D ;D

Appears there are a couple of origins out there...

One:
in a pig's eye - never, 'in your dreams', impossible - 'in a pig's eye' meaning 'never' seems to be an American development, since it is not used in the UK, and the English equivalent meaning never is 'pigs might fly', or 'pigs will fly' (see below), which has existed since the late 19th century and possibly a long time prior. 'Pigs' Eye' was in fact 19th century English slang for the Ace of Diamonds, being a high ranking card, which then developed into an expression meaning something really good, excellent or outstanding (Cassells suggests this was particularly a Canadian interpretation from the 1930-40's). I suspect this might have been mixed through simple confusion over time with the expression 'when pigs fly', influenced perhaps by the fact that 'in a pig's eye' carries a sense of make believe or unlikely scenario, ie., that only a pig (being an example of a supposedly stupid creature) could see (imagine) such a thing happening.

Two:
N A PIG'S EYE - "Never, highly unlikely. Whether the originator of the saying meant that a poor idea was something to put in a pig's eye or that it would look bad to a pig's eye is a matter of speculation. As an expression of scorn the expression was picked up in 1872 by Petroleum V. Nasby (David Locke) in one of his satirical newspaper columns: 'A poetical cotashun.which.wuz, -- 'Kum wun, kim all, this rock shel fly From its firm base - in a pig's eye.'" From "The Dictionary of Cliches" by James Rogers (Ballantine Books, New York, 1985).

Back
Top Bottom