Monte Carlo trailer opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobbyg2013

I am looking at buying a 2018 Monte Carlo model made by Recreation By Design. It is 40' long and 8.5 feet wide with three slides, washer/dryer, fireplace, two recliners, four burner stove, very large bathroom, and two mirrored sliding wardrobes, a 36" front door and tons of storage inside (but no outside underside storage). I need to replace the front a/c but no other major problems. I am not familiar with this brand and am asking if anyone has knowledge or experience with the Monte Carlo. Thanks.

I am not familiar with this builder. I do note the weight. I have a 39' Grand Junction with 3 slides that weighs over 12K DRY WT. I am wondering how cheaply it was built to shed 4000# of weight.
What do you plan to tow this with? At 8000# DRY WT and likely over 10,000# ready to camp weight, no ½ ton can pull it safely.

grashley, I did a quick Google, this is a Park Model.
To the Original Poster, I do not know the quality, most RVs are not high in the quality category, but you certainly could hire an independent inspector to evaluate it. Google your zip code and 'RV Inspector, or even RV Mobile Mechanic' Just a thought, good luck.

Is this something your planning to park permanently or towing around? Park models are not intended to be moved more than a couple of times.

Park models that large are normally only moved by a commercial mover with an 18 wheeler type class 8 to move it.>>>Dan

Thanks for your replies. Yes, it is a park model design but on 3 axles. i plan on moving it twice a year, from storage to a RV resort and back again at the end of winter, a total of approximately 20/25 miles round trip. It will never be "on the road" so to speak. It has over 400 sq ft with many desirable features, but the overall quality is about standard for the rv industry, which is poor in my opinion, unless you are prepared to spend mega bucks.

Looking at the Recreation by Design website, it would appear that what you are considering is a trailer built by the commercial division of the company and was custom. It may well be a better than average trailer in terms of construction. I have only seen them with carnivals and harvest crews. They also build some bunkhouse models and also some with several separated quarters in them.

So at 8.5 ft you over width so it needs permitted to be moved, call you local state patrol and ask. What does the tongue look like? Pindle or 2 5/16"? Normally factory to site, maybe a second sale and move. You need to research Park model moving & movers.

WHOA! 8.5' (102") is not "over width" and I see nothing about the Monte Carlos I can find online that suggest it is "park model". It's a big TT for sure, but that doesn't make it a park model. Maybe it would be considered a "Destination trailer", intended primarily for seasonal use. The TT version has a standard ball coupler and the weight is within range of a one-ton pickup truck. The usual equipement includes triple fixed axles for travel, water tanks, RV shore power hook-ups, etc.

Make sure the trailer has power slides. I went to look at a 8.5' destination trailer the other day and the slides were manual - you needed two strong men to push and pull them in and out.

Good point about destination trailers (and any custom design, for that matter). If intended for use solely with RV park hook-ups, they may lack features that are useful for travel. Maybe no or small fresh or waste water tanks, manual sides, front windows that require manual covers for travel, no batteries, etc. I'm not saying that's the case here, but best to verify all that sort of thing.

WHOA! 8.5' (102") is not "over width" and I see nothing about the Monte Carlos I can find online that suggest it is "park model". It's a big TT for sure, but that doesn't make it a park model. Maybe it would be considered a "Destination trailer", intended primarily for seasonal use. The TT version has a standard ball coupler and the weight is within range of a one-ton pickup truck. The usual equipement includes triple fixed axles for travel, water tanks, RV shore power hook-ups, etc.
Brain Fart my 5W is 102" guess I was thinking single wide trailer. Still going to be a big move and destination or park model? Difference is like trailer/manufactured home/mobile home, semantics.

Still going to be a big move and destination or park model? Difference is like trailer/manufactured home/mobile home, semantics.
More than just semantics, but that's a discussion for another time & place. Let's stick to what is helpful to bobbyg2013.
It has over 400 sq ft
By law, no towable RV or park model trailer is over 400 sq ft. Yours appears to be a hair under that.

Any chance you could post a picture or two of this trailer? Since the Monte Carlo Platinum is a custom design & build, most of what is here is just guesswork. You haven't even told us if it is a travel trailer or a fifth wheel type.

More than just semantics, but that's a discussion for another time & place. Let's stick to what is helpful to bobbyg2013.

By law, no towable RV or park model trailer is over 400 sq ft. Yours appears to be a hair under that.

Any chance you could post a picture or two of this trailer? Since the Monte Carlo Platinum is a custom design & build, most of what is here is just guesswork. You haven't even told us if it is a travel trailer or a fifth wheel type.
show me and we can discuss the other any time you would like.

I am looking at buying a 2018 Monte Carlo model made by Recreation By Design. It is 40' long and 8.5 feet wide with three slides, washer/dryer, fireplace, two recliners, four burner stove, very large bathroom, and two mirrored sliding wardrobes, a 36" front door and tons of storage inside (but no outside underside storage). I need to replace the front a/c but no other major problems. I am not familiar with this brand and am asking if anyone has knowledge or experience with the Monte Carlo. Thanks.
We've had 2 from this brand over the past 12 years now. We have pulled them many miles and they've held up well. They've both been fifth wheel though. In our opinion, they're much better than a regular camper you get off a dealer's lot. They are built better to handle full time living if that's what you're doing. They're custom built, we've never built one ourselves (bought both used), but are very happy with them

I am late to this party but I have correct information to shsre.
bobbyg2013 concerns are real, as were mine, before buying my used 2021 model.

To most this is very confusing but it is technically a travel trailer that has no fresh water, Gray or black water holding tanks. It also has a 20 gallon electric only water heater and mine has a residential style refrigerator that runs on AC only.

I guess you could call it a destination trailer trailer suited for RV parks parks or a location where you can connect to water and electricity and sewer.

It is as close to a park model without the high price and looks of a park model. It is a bumper pull with a removable tongue and 2-5/16 inch ball.

I worked on the 1st generation of park models in the mid to late 70's that started out as tip outs and then double slide outs and then full length slide outs and understand a bit about quality.
I would not have bought this if I did not appreciate the quality. The slideouts are electric on mine which was an option and they are built on a very solid metal framework that works perfectly and trust me, I hate water leaks such as you have from a roof, slide out or around windows and doors.
All areas that we used to use putty tape on is sealed with silicone that should be good for 20 to 30 years.

I towed this from the seller's property to my house in the Phoenix area which is flat with my half ton Toyota tundra with a 5.7 l motor and it was a stretch, even for 4 miles. I will not tow it to the mountains but hire it to be towed because my truck does not quite meet my comfort level.

When my wife and I 1st looked at this we thought it reminded us very much of a studio apartment or similar as they are very spacious and well designed including a double sync almost the size of a residential house and plenty of counter space.

Rick20220324_152729.jpg20220329_143139.jpg20220323_133930.jpg

Attachments

• 20220329_143222.jpg
    20220329_143222.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom