Monument Valley to Grand Canyon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanglemoose

Guessing we should go to Flagstaff and then up to south entrance.... road better? Pulling 30' Thanks.

Just over 2 years ago we did Goosenecks state park outside Mexican Hat, UT to Page, AZ for 3 days (US160 to 98 to Page), then to the Grand Canyon via the east entrance (US89 to 64 in Cameron). So much of the most direct route you could take. While there are some climbs there is nothing bad, and you will be doing the elevation change to get there one way or another. The climb up from Cameron is not too bad hills mostly, its just when you get to the top of one hill there is little going down and a more going up, over and over again. As long as your truck is up to it without overheating, you should be good to go up to the east entrance, and once inside the part it is mostly level with lots of pull off overview points. (this assumes the east entrance is open, I know it was closed due to covid for a long time).

If you go this route hopefully you will not get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle like we did, we took over 90 minutes to make it from Cameron to Desert View Watchtower, due to being stuck behind a Skoolie, or what ever you call a RV converted from a blue Air Force bus, which would get down to under 20 mph going up some of the hills. I am not saying our 8.1L P32 28 ft gas motorhome would have been doing the speed limit going up all those hills if not for them, but we would probably have topped the hills at 45-50, not 15-20 mph.

Didn't you believe me? šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Ha.. yes, I always trust you! Couldn't find my posts.. then hubby did 180 on me. Supposed to be in grand Canyon tonight. Instead missed the campground Tony told me about and made the BIG mistake of driving... in dark, Virginia recreation area closed still so ended up... in Walmart lot in Mesquite... ... ugh.. double ugh.. so... 'xff ft b gcgggc. Oh well...

Ha.. yes, I always trust you! Couldn't find my posts.. then hubby did 180 on me. Supposed to be in grand Canyon tonight. Instead missed the campground Tony told me about and made the BIG mistake of driving... in dark, Virginia recreation area closed still so ended up... in Walmart lot in Mesquite... ... ugh.. double ugh.. so... 'xff ft b gcgggc. Oh well...
WOW!

It always closes at Jacob Lake,, from there south to the lodge is two lane and twisty with some grades.. They do not plow it in the winter months or when snow happens..>>>Dan ( By the way,,Jacob Lake campground is a lovely place for a few days.)>>>

It always closes at Jacob Lake,, from there south to the lodge is two lane and twisty with some grades.. They do not plow it in the winter months or when snow happens..>>>Dan ( By the way,,Jacob Lake campground is a lovely place for a few days.)>>>
Yeah, our first host job was 2 seasons at Demotte Campground, 20 or so miles south of JL. The same company runs the FS campground at Jacob's Lake.
BTW, anyone actually seen the "lake" at Jacob's Lake? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

The "Lake" was only a pond in the day,, but a valuable source of water for the locals..>>>Dan
Bingo! Had a camper with a big-a$$ed ski boat ask me for directions to the lake one time. I laughed out loud. His kids were not happy.
I had a bigger pond on my 5 acre place in Arkansas.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom