Moral Trespassing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So it is OK to steal from a farmer?
NO. because you are taking his livelyhood
(Though the Bible tells us to leave a bit for the needy. but Still)

This thread is not about taking fruit that a farmer will harvest and sell
It's about taking fruit that will. if not taken, rot on the tree attracting insects and other vermin and creating a nuisance.

Major difference.

What's the fruit rat situation like in your area?
Around here squirrels will raid just about any type of fruit other than citrus fruit, about the only thing that will raid citrus is raccoons, and they can strip a fully loaded orange tree bare in a day or two.

NO. because you are taking his livelyhood
(Though the Bible tells us to leave a bit for the needy. but Still)

This thread is not about taking fruit that a farmer will harvest and sell
It's about taking fruit that will. if not taken, rot on the tree attracting insects and other vermin and creating a nuisance.

Major difference.
I think Kirk was referring to me taking a few oranges back in the 50’s and 60’s on our trips from Daytona to Tampa. But I think the statute of limitations has expired so even if I turned myself in no charges would be filed. 😎

Just to clear up a few things, I have not, at least not yet harvested any of the fruit next door, partly due to the fact I have a few hundred Satsumas on our own tree, many more than we can eat ourselves. I am not really worried about getting caught with how grown up the front yard is next door as you can barely see the house from the street and there is no fence between our yards in the front. Also if there were a police response I really doubt it would go beyond them saying to stay out of the neighbors yard, likely not even that far given that is is a vacant house. If by some chance the cop was having a bad day and wanted to push things, my wife knows the DA very well, she talks with him several times per week as part of her job as the director of a local public agency, plus I know both of the local district judges on a first name basis, and went to high school with one of them.

my wife knows the DA very well, she talks with him several times per week as part of her job as the director of a local public agency, plus I know both of the local district judges on a first name basis, and went to high school with one of them.
Do you think the DA or the judges have reciprocity in Florida? I might need some muscle to handle a problem concerning a few oranges. On a serious note, when I lived in England I took quite a few walks from one village to another. I often saw baskets of apples by the front curbs of houses with signs saying “Free, help yourselves”. It would seem a good deed might to be pick the fruit and give it away.

"--my wife knows the DA very well, she talks with him several times per week as part of her job as the director of a local public agency, plus I know both of the local district judges on a first name basis, and went to high school with one of them."

Isaac, given this . . . why the question here?

I have not, at least not yet harvested any of the fruit next door, partly due to the fact I have a few hundred Satsumas on our own tree, many more than we can eat ourselves.
I wonder if there might be a way to get permission to harvest them and donate them to a food bank or similar needy place? I don't like seeing things go to waste either, but also have a ethics that would require me to get some sort of authorization. There must be a way to do that.

I wonder if there might be a way to get permission to harvest them and donate them to a food bank or similar needy place? I don't like seeing things go to waste either, but also have an ethics that would require me to get some sort of authorization. There must be a way to do that.
Issac said he didn’t need the fruit since his trees are full. Call the local HUD office and ask if the fruit can be harvested and donated. But me being an ask for forgiveness rather than an ask for permission type of guy would just pick it and take my chances. Give the fruit to a shelter.

The only issue there is that the "local" HUD office is 240 miles away on the other side of the state, so not so local, and I suspect this house is a best a number in a file somewhere that has nearly been forgotten.

The only issue there is that the "local" HUD office is 240 miles away on the other side of the state, so not so local, and I suspect this house is a best a number in a file somewhere that has nearly been forgotten.
Somebody here mentioned a raccoon can strip an orange tree in short supply. May I suggest trapping a few raccoons and tossing them over the fence. The fruit will not be wasted. After they eat oranges you could trap them again, euthanize them and skin and dress. Since they ate so many oranges you may already have a good start on Coon l’orange.

The issue is not the fruit.

The issue is trespass and respecting ourselves, local laws and ordinances. Stealing is secondary as you're already a criminal if you're on the property and close enough to touch the fruit.

Next, we'll be saying - "Hey, no one is there, guess I can move in and set up a tent and just eat the fruit because no one will care - AND, no one can evict me as I'll sue and post about the bad cops and HUD officials on Twitter/Tik Tok."

Oh, wait - that's exactly what "we" are doing...

I'm no saint or other holy roller - but I've been burned by others that have no respect and instead of thinking I can get "self-justified revenge" by doing a similar act to some anonymous entity I go the other way and further abhor the action.

And yes, sometimes I do grab that extra mint-flavored toothpick out of the bowl on the way out of a restaurant.

I guess we're all individuals as revealed in the thread.

It is a HUD foreclosed property which is now owned I would assume by HUD which is part of the US government

If HUD does not want the fruit picked they should post a sign “No Fruit Picking”. And if anyone does pick the fruit do not offer any to Domo since that would be akin to accepting stolen property. But having said that if the evidence has been eaten I’m not sure how a conviction would be upheld. Does fruit contain DNA? If it does I would not want to be the one that would have to collect the evidence post digestion. Maybe Judge Wapner or Judge Judy would be lenient. On second thought, I don’t think Judy would. 😎

If HUD does not want the fruit picked they should post a sign “No Fruit Picking”. And if anyone does pick the fruit do not offer any to Domo since that would be akin to accepting stolen property. But having said that if the evidence has been eaten I’m not sure how a conviction would be upheld. Does fruit contain DNA? If it does I would not want to be the one that would have to collect the evidence post digestion. Maybe Judge Wapner or Judge Judy would be lenient. On second thought, I don’t think Judy would. 😎
I think Judge Wapner would be silent on this case. He died several years ago. 😢😖☹️

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom