MORE ??? Good Sam's? Passport America??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackbetsy

We have ordered the 5er and plan on purchasing the truck next week. Now we have questions about service. I have read pros and cons about Good Sams and mostly pros regarding Passport America. What's the difference? Do we need both? And regarding insurance...will our homeowner's policy cover the camper while it is in the driveway....and our auto insurance while on the road?? Boy, this is overwhelming sometimes! Thanks for all your help!

Personally I do recommend Passport America (campground discounts) and Escapees.  I DO NOT recommend GS or membership campgrounds.

Jack and Betsy,

Good Sam will get you a 10% discount at GS participating parks. In pratice I've found that parks that offer the GS discount will also offer a discount for either FMCA or AAA. No reason to join Good Sam just for the discount.

Passport America offers you a 50% discount at participating parks. Quite significant and forum members report getting their money back after only a few short stays at PA parks.

will our homeowner's policy cover the camper while it is in the driveway....and our auto insurance while on the road?

You'll have to check your homeowners policy to answer the question about coverage, but I wouldn't rely on it to cover our motorhome. As for when you're on the road, don't you have or plan to have separate insurance for your RV? If not, all bets are off. Just my opinion. You should talk to your insurance agent.

What Tom said

I have both Passport America and Good Sam.  I don't belong to FMCA (us trailer trash can't) or AAA.  I tried AAA for a year and did'nt find it worthwhile.

Both Passport America and Good Sam pay for themselves with the campground discounts.

My auto/house insurer (USAA) provides excellent road service.  I've tested that once with a car.

While we're talking about it.  GS has the reputation of flooding you with junk mail.  I get "occasional" junk mail from them but nothing like what they apparently did in years past.  It seems like when I joined in '04 there was a lot but now it has tapered off.

The fifth-wheel trailer can be covered by a special rider on your auto insurance policy.

mfa said:
The fifth-wheel trailer can be covered by a special rider on your auto insurance policy.

That could be true.  With my insurer the 5er is another vehicle.  The insurance on that vehicle includes road service.  The cost is low enough that I don't know what it is.

Joel

OK, did our comparison shopping today.? ?A rider to our auto insurance (AIG) would be about $750 yearly. A homeowner's rider would be $450 yearly and Good Sam's (GMAC) a whopping $1250 yearly, although GMAC did include complete coverage on everything moveable in the trailer and also includes the awnings in case of wind damage, as well as roadside assistance.? (Not exactly necessary as we have that with the truck.)? Hmmm, we have about 5 months to decide as we are not taking delivery of the 5er until winter lets up around here.? Thanks for everyone's help!

Gheeeeeeezd  And I thought my MH insurance is high, then I looked at my Car insurance  I'm  Happy  Car $606 a year, car 2  $534 A YEAR, Trailer $96 a year, MH $581 a year, full coverage $100 deduct  I staying with this agent  Thought the MH was for 6 mos  but nope  they are all for 1 year.  I'm happy  That's hard to believe

Shayne said:
Gheeeeeeezd  And I thought my MH insurance is high, then I looked at my Car insurance  I'm  Happy  Car $606 a year, car 2  $534 A YEAR, Trailer $96 a year, MH $581 a year, full coverage $100 deduct  I staying with this agent  Thought the MH was for 6 mos  but nope  they are all for 1 year.  I'm happy  That's hard to believe

Shayne:

Your m/h rates are low because you are not fulltiming, tell them you will be in it all year and add Homeowner's Liability and check the rates then. ;)

jackbetsy said:
OK, did our comparison shopping today.? ?A rider to our auto insurance (AIG) would be about $750 yearly. A homeowner's rider would be $450 yearly and Good Sam's (GMAC) a whopping $1250 yearly, although GMAC did include complete coverage on everything moveable in the trailer and also includes the awnings in case of wind damage, as well as roadside assistance.? (Not exactly necessary as we have that with the truck.)? Hmmm, we have about 5 months to decide as we are not taking delivery of the 5er until winter lets up around here.? Thanks for everyone's help!
I'm surprised it is that high for a trailer. ?I just bought a new MH and insured it with Progressive for around $850 yearly with maximum coverage. ?The quote from GMAC was about $1010 for lesser coverage. ?My normal auto insurance carrier (Allstate) wanted around $2300! ?

You might try Progressive Direct online.

A rider to our auto insurance (AIG) would be about $750 yearly. A homeowner's rider would be $450 yearly

That's sounds very high for collision and comprehensive coverage on a trailer - what kinds of coverage are provided for that princely sum?  Since it is a trailer, there is no need for vehicle liability coverage, so I would expect the premium to be on the order of $100.  Even adding "vacation liability" (which you don't need if you have homeowners or renters insurance) should leave it well below $750.

My motorhome, which is insured for fulltiming, is $860/year and that amount includes vehicle liability coverage at Florida rates (high) and full replacement value if I total it.  I think thatis consistent with what others are paying for motorhomes as well, and a trailer should be much less expensive.

Jeff I wish I could go full timing  I wanted to buy an American Dream and go FTime and put my foot down to do so. But then the Boss put her foot down and almost broke mine.  I haven't brought that subject up again.  As she told all at Q last Jan  She's country just not that country.  Guess we just have too many possessions.  That and I probably spoiled her too much.  After 52 years  I guess she's worth it.  Well  maybe.    Ouch, she just whacked me.  Guess I'll be fulltiming  for the night at least.

Back
Top Bottom