More Photo Winners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron from Big D

Moderator Emeritus
All:

I submitted several images into an open competition sponsored by the Heard Nature Museum and was honored with two images placing.  My panorama of the Glowing Aspens won a Second Place Ribbon and my Lady Banksia Rose, which is a slightly manipulated image, won an Honorable Mention.  There were 650 entries.  There were about 35 awards given.  I have attached the images.  Most of you saw a similar image earlier of the Aspens.

Attachments

• Aspen Glow 6x16 Pano (Small).jpg
    Aspen Glow 6x16 Pano (Small).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 125
  • Lady Banksia Rose in motion (Small).jpg
    Lady Banksia Rose in motion (Small).jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 105
Good job, Ron.  Lovely photos, especially the rose in motion.

Great Ron.

Now I know why you have all those big lens. ;D

Ron,

Great job!!! The aspens didn't seem to d/l completely but I saw enough to appreciate. :) I'm about to submit a couple of entries in our contest at TGO. Got one the other morning while it was foggy. Not sure it's a winner but I do like the photo. :) I've attached a copy.

Attachments

• CRW_4841_JFR.1 (Medium).jpg
    CRW_4841_JFR.1 (Medium).jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 92
Ron,

Those are beautiful photo's, and Jim, Thats one's winner ! You guy's should do a couple of books like Ansel Adams did with Yosemite !

Maybe call it" RVing in the range of light"  lol ::)

Truely nice work guys.

Ron,

Both are great photos but I particularly like the Aspens.  Good Job!

Do you have a printer that will handle a 6" X 16" panorama? 
If not how does one go about getting a large panorama printed?

JerryF

Ron and Jim,

Nice images!  :eek:

I'm hoping to move to a digital SLR... but for now have to be satisfied with a point and shoot digital.  Good resolution at 5 megapixel, but not much zoom capability.  :-\

Kenneth said:
Ron,

Those are beautiful photo's, and Jim, Thats one's winner ! You guy's should do a couple of books like Ansel Adams did with Yosemite !

Maybe call it" RVing in the range of light"  lol ::)

Truely nice work guys.

Hi Kenneth,

Thanks but Ron certainly has one up on me. You should see some of his art work with photos. I believe he calls them photo escapes. Sure wish I was as talented.

Skedaddle said:
Ron and Jim,

Nice images!  :eek:

I'm hoping to move to a digital SLR... but for now have to be satisfied with a point and shoot digital.  Good resolution at 5 megapixel, but not much zoom capability.  :-\

Mike,

My first winning photo was with the Nikon 990 which had 3.3 megapixels. A digital SLR is not a necessity for good photos. It's all in the eye of the photographer. DSLRs just allow more latitude in composure. :) Sometimes I get lucky. :)

Great image Jim but it would be better with just a little different composition.  Had you framed it with the branch tailing off to the lower right corner and placed the bird in the upper right third of the frame, rather than centered; it would be outstanding.  Nothing else other than that.  It may still be a winner however.

I couldn't believe the images that lost in this competition that I was in.  Terrific stuff.  Fortunately, one of the committee members was listening to the judges and passed on this advice.  Anything that was not well composed and well focused, was automatically knocked out.

JerArdra said:
Ron,

Both are great photos but I particularly like the Aspens.  Good Job!

Do you have a printer that will handle a 6" X 16" panorama? 
If not how does one go about getting a large panorama printed?

JerryF

Yes Jerry, I have a printer that will do 13x44.  There are online printing services that can do the panorama shots for you.  There is one that is very good and inexpensive, but I'll have to get the URL for you when I talk to another photographer. 

My pano might have done better printed larger and perhaps worse.  Some images make entirely different impressions at different sizes.  You never know.  The judging is very subjective.

I want to take a moment to thank all of you making comments on the photos.  Jim deserves just as much.  I had a little head start with my art and architectural training.

I find that you need to shoot with other photographers as much as you can to learn their techniques.  There is one woman in our group that has the most unbelievable eye for the unusual.  It is easy to walk right by a great image that she sees and you don't.  That's a real gift.  As expected, she took at least one first place.  Another woman, who has been in the club for years, said that it was an honor to just make an Honorable Mention in that competition.

Jim Dick said:
Hi Kenneth,

Thanks but Ron certainly has one up on me. You should see some of his art work with photos. I believe he calls them photo escapes. Sure wish I was as talented.

Jim and others, I have attached a couple of the older Photo Escapes for you to enjoy.

Attachments

• Copy of Sunset after storm.jpg
    Copy of Sunset after storm.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Bluebonnets in Inks Lake St. Pk (Small).jpg
    Bluebonnets in Inks Lake St. Pk (Small).jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 62
Jim,

While I was out fishing today I saw several large birds that reminded me of your photo. I was wishing I had my camera with me  :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom