More videoing of crime instead of calling police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jayflight

The mayor addresses this growing problem yesterday.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms spoke out Wednesday after a shooting in the city left two people dead, claiming members of the public had responded by taking videos at the scene instead of calling 911.
Bottoms also claimed people were posting information about the crime on social media rather than alerting city police.

There was a news story here a couple of weeks ago about a Peeping Tom. Apparently a bunch of people caught him looking in windows, but no one called the police. Instead, they posted on Facebook.

The police department actually issued a statement reminding folks to call the police if they witness a crime, and not depend on social media.

Though the police do need to be called and often EMS as well
When the people shoot video and post it the police have what is called a "Lead".
So I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

I'd do both (Shoot video and buzz the fuzz) I've a body camera on order in addition to the cameras in my phone.

The danger in shooting video however (And it is dangerous in the case of a homicide or attempt) is you need to be exposed and the bad guy may look at you and say "Next".
(My body cam is tiny and can be hidden while I take cover)

Though the police do need to be called and often EMS as well
When the people shoot video and post it the police have what is called a "Lead".
So I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

I'd do both (Shoot video and buzz the fuzz) I've a body camera on order in addition to the cameras in my phone.

The danger in shooting video however (And it is dangerous in the case of a homicide or attempt) is you need to be exposed and the bad guy may look at you and say "Next".
(My body cam is tiny and can be hidden while I take cover)
I heard a comment just yesterday about having a function on the video portion of your phone that would call 911 as you were filming. That could get interesting in many areas.:eek:

I heard a comment just yesterday about having a function on the video portion of your phone that would call 911 as you were filming. That could get interesting in many areas.:eek:
Bad idea, IMO. There would be too many nuisance calls while videoing Junior's birthday party.

We have our own police department in our little town here, and this problem is rampant. We even have the police chief monitor FB (when he can) and it is just incredible. Call the cops first, video later if you can. It's a common sense thing. Which too many people don't seem to be blessed with anymore.

Re, the call from within the video recorder.
Depends on how complex it is
Used to have a phone that would auto-dial 9-1-1 if you sat on a specific key. (I disabled that feature)
We got a lot of "Butt Dials" where someone had their phone in their pocket and the key was pressed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom