Mosquito contol at campsite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mosquitos?  Only one thing works, DEET.  The stronger the better.  Failing that, I recommend screen doors.

Bug zapping flyswatter is a good fallback when one of the blighters gets inside the rig.

Carl

We have had so much cool and rainy weather up here in Alaska on this trip that we haven't had a problem with them so far.  Only when I flew to Ft. Yukon on the Arctic Circle where it was very hot and they were vicious.

Carl Lundquist said:
Mosquitos?  Only one thing works, DEET.  The stronger the better.

Problem is that stuff is a very strong toxin, and humans aren't immune either.  Not something you want on your skin all the time.  Does anyone use the "older" style bug zappers anymore, that were real popular in the 80's?  Seems like those would keep the bugs at bay, and provide a nice blue light at the same time, hehe.  8)

We use a mister. You spray it low to the ground. It puts out a fine fog that settles into the grass. Does a good job, mostly. I read somewhere that one should not let dogs on the grass for a few minutes, while it dries. We take the dogs in, and let them out, again, (on leashes) when it is dry. We only do this when the bug problem gets irritating. Don't remember the brand, but if necessary will go out to the RV and look at it, and report it here.

If that is not enough, we put up a "bug Zapper." Yes, some people still use them. It finishes the job. We are not bothered with that thing going. Well, we are entertained by the constant poping as bugs fry.

I have been looking into a clothing product called "Buzz Off." My son and family wear that and report that it works very well. They have hats, shirts, and pants - long or short. A bit spendy but worth it. May get a set or two for each of us.

Ray D

Ray D said:
We use a mister. You spray it low to the ground. It puts out a fine fog that settles into the grass.

If that is not enough, we put up a "bug Zapper." Yes, some people still use them. It finishes the job. We are not bothered with that thing going. Well, we are entertained by the constant poping as bugs fry.

I have been looking into a clothing product called "Buzz Off." My son and family wear that and report that it works very well. They have hats, shirts, and pants - long or short. A bit spendy but worth it. May get a set or two for each of us.

Ray D

I have yet to buy some of the Buzz Off clothing but will be giving that product a try for fishing and backpacking trips.  From what I read the clothing keeps its ability to repel bugs for 25 washes.

A product that interests me for either sitting around a campfire or for watching an evening baseball game is:  ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent

I use DEET as well but I don't like the feel of the stuff on my skin.  I look at it as a last resort.

My son tells me that he is way past 25 washings and the clothing is still working fine. He also says that sometimes he only wears one piece, sometimes just the hat, and that works, too.

Ray D

scottydl said:
Problem is that stuff is a very strong toxin, and humans aren't immune either. Not something you want on your skin all the time. Does anyone use the "older" style bug zappers anymore, that were real popular in the 80's? Seems like those would keep the bugs at bay, and provide a nice blue light at the same time, hehe. 8)

Rather than get into the pros and cons of DEET I will just pass on The Word from The Annals of Internal Medicine, a professional journal at CLICK HERE.

As far as bug zappers are concerned a Consumers Report article a few years back demonstrated that mosquitoes and flies are not attracted by the light bug zappers.? Mosquitoes react only to CO2 and lactic acid concentrations -- they move towards greater concentrations and thereby come into conact with animal hide as a consequence.? ?We all know what flies are attracted by.? All bug zappers do is kill moths and harmless insects -- some being even beneficial.

By the way DEET works by interfering with the CO2 attractor of mosquitoes.? It reverses the effect I understand by screwing up the neural signals.?

The choice of repellent is not a choice in a vacuum.? ?Mosquitoes are notorious transmitters of disease, yelllow fever, malaria, and west Nile disease.? ?You have to weigh the toxic effects of DEET against those risks.? ?Read the article.

There is a newer repellent that is being touted on the Search and Rescue lists.  I think I remember how to spell it, Picaridin.

Check with any sports shop as I am sure they will have it.  Also is does not react with the flame resistant clothing that fire fighters wear as Deet does.

>>I have been looking into a clothing product called "Buzz Off."<<

Consumers Report recently did a test on insect repellents & the pre treated clothing didn't fare too well. The winner was one that had 98% Deet....I have been trying to find it but haven't been successful.

I HAVE A FOGGER AND I FOG SEVERAL TIMES, THE FOGGER WORKS WITH BUTANE CANISTERS THAT SCREW ON WITH THE CHEMICAL THAT YOU POUR INTO A RESIVOR. PLUS I LIKE TO USE MOSQUITO COILS THEY LAST LONG AND I PUT SEVERAL AROUND ON A TIN PIE PLATE, IF YOU NEED TO CONTROL NO-SEE-UMS LIGHT THE MOSQUITO COILS AS THE SUN IS GOING DOWN OTHERWISE HARD TO CONTORL.
WE SPEND A MONTH IN THE KEYS EVERY SUMMER AND THIS IS WORKS WELL I HAVE TRIED ALL KINDS OF STUFF, I HATE PUTTING ON BUG LOTIONS AND SPRAYS BUT IF YOU HAVE TO USE AVON SKIN SO SOFT.

COLLEEN? FL

Caps and red together  Can't read  Hard on eyes and Caps indicate shouting.  Please  Thank you.

Jim,

From what I've found, Picaridin is a good alternative to DEET products, and is less irritating to the eyes and mucous membranes. Not sure if it's available in the U.S. yet, but the EPA has apparently given it the green light. Supposedly it will be marketed by S.C. Johnson & Sons, headquartered in Racine, WI.

Karl,

I saw a spray can in Walmart a few days ago but didn't buy it as I have at least 3 full cans of OFF, DEET, and we have little need of them here.  I do always have them with us though!! VBG

The Search and Rescue folks are moving to the new stuff though as fast as they can.  Also the wildland fire fighters as DEET damages their clothing.

Jim,

I understand that there are 2 different concentrations - the normal one is, I believe, 92 gm/liter, and the other is 196 gm/liter. My GUESS is that the higher concentration is more suited for those who spend a lot of time in the wild (firefighters, etc); also maybe those who are susceptible to bites/stings.
Do you happen to recall which you found at WM?

We use mosquito coils.  Light one end, place it down in the holder, and it will burn for a couple of hours.  Buy replacement coils in the sportgoods dept, and they are cheaper,  instead of the garden dept.  We've used closepins as holders also.  Light the coil and stick it the closepin in the ground under your chair at night at the campfire.  Keep an eye on them.  They work great on Michigan black flies also.  If the bugs are really bad, we light 2 or 3.  Place them on the ground where no one with step on them.  You can cook, and eat with them burning too.  They don't take up alot of space in the rv, and you don't have all stuff on your skin and clothing.

This tip we got from the ranger at Denali...wipe your clothing down with a dry, dryer sheet.  The bugs don't like the smell, therefore they don't bother you.  Light weight, and portable while hiking.  The rangers in Denali are mosquito supporters.  The have their uses in the circle of life, that's why mother nature has put them here.  They feed the birds, the birds eat the seeds, etc etc etc.  They would like to think of this while swatting..........

I'm still a swatter
Barb

I choose to interrupt that "circle of life" thing as well, when I'm on the donor side..... ;D

We have West Nile in our area so unfortunately we have to take mosquitoes more seriously than before.

Back
Top Bottom