Motor Carriers' Road Atlas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I've been meaning to buy Rand McNally's Motor Carriers' Road Atlas for some time, but I always get sticker shock every time I see the Deluxe version (spiral bound, laminated pages) at Flying J for $79. Today I saw it at a Pilot truck stop for only $29.99 (deluxe, laminated, spiral bound, '07 version) and jumped at it.

The Motor Carriers Atlas has the national truck routes highlighted and it has a wealth of information in the front, much of which is useful to RVers as well as truckers.  Tables listing low clearances by state and weight and size restrictions are among them.  I'll show you ours next time you come to town.

This has to stop!

Sue is tired of me keeping up with all the Forum toys as it is. She hasn't completely gotton even for the MotoSat (But she is close) and now I bring up an $80 road atlas? ;D ??? ::)

Jeff, it's only $30 at Pilot, so let Sue know how money you'll be saving. That's what Chris says to me every time she goes shopping  ;D

Tom said:
Jeff, it's only $30 at Pilot, so let Sue know how money you'll be saving. That's what Chris says to me every time she goes shopping  ;D

Tom:

That was the line I used on the used MotoSat. Maybe describing the cost of giving the Tradewinds a headache on a low overpass will work. ::) ::)

If you don't get the nice spiral bound version, it's only about $15. That's what we have - I don't use it enough to wear it out - only need to check it if I'm going off into the weeds.  :p  The spiral edition is really nice, though.

And the pages are coated so it's practically waterproof.

Jeff,

Now you need to change/supplement the Motosat for an in-motion internet connection so you can read the stuff online while going down the highway  ;D

Today Flying J had the deluxe spiral bound for the same price as Pilot, $29.99.

So does the Rand McNally's Motor Carriers' Road Atlas contain the same information as RV'er Friend, and the Mountain Directory? If it does, than you'll have 3 books in one.  Same on money space, and weight.

Barb
Currently in Lake Havasu City

The most important information that the Motor Carriers Atlas has that the others don't is the highlighting of the national truck routes.  If you stay on those roads, you're pretty much guaranteed sufficient clearances and reasonable grades.  We use it along with the RVer's Friend as the latter has all the fuel stops which the atlas doesn't.

Tom said:
Jeff,

Now you need to change/supplement the Motosat for an in-motion internet connection so you can read the stuff online while going down the highway  ;D

Tom:

That is our Verizon MOK. ;)

So does the Rand McNally's Motor Carriers' Road Atlas contain the same information as RV'er Friend, and the Mountain Directory? If it does, than you'll have 3 books in one.  Same on money space, and weight.

Barb, no they have different info.  The Truckers Atlas is primarily maps but tells you by each state what roads are restricted and why.  If you've got a low clearance that's what truckers - and RVers - need to know.  The Mountain Pass books (East and West) are good for telling you where difficult passes are located, but these are not necessarily restricted roads, just maybe steep with a curve at the bottom where you don't want to pick up speed.  And the RVers Friend is more useful for locating fuel stops.  We have all three and use them for different information.

ArdraF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom