Motor Home Will Not Start - Any Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVcyclist

We returned home today from a 10-day camping trip.  The drive was about 7 hours and everything worked well during the drive.  When we arrived at home I parked the motor home in the driveway.  When I went to move it a few minutes later, it would not start.  It will not do anything.  When I turn the key the dash lights do not illuminate and the headlights do not work.  It appears that it is not getting any power from the battery.  I tried the auxiliary start switch, but nothing happened.

I checked the battery terminals and they looked good with a minor amount of corrosion.  I cleaned them and reconnected, still no power.  I put a charger on the battery to check it and within a few minutes it was showing full charge.

Any recommendations on what to check next?  The chassis is a Workhorse W22 with an 8.1 liter engine.

Thanks,
Delbert

Is it possible you hit your disconnect switch for the chassis battery when you got home ??
Something has disconnected your battery from the starter. Maybe a fuse blew ??

Woody

It sounds to me like the battery is history. I once drove across NC, shut off at fueling and it wouldn't even pick the starter solenoid 5 minutes later. Time for a meter checkup of the battery. > 12.5 volts is needed plus clean connections all the way to the starter.

Woody said:
Is it possible you hit your disconnect switch for the chassis battery when you got home ??
Something has disconnected your battery from the starter. Maybe a fuse blew ??

Woody, I don't think that I have a disconnect switch for the chassis battery; I have not seen any place where there would be one (this was my second trip in the MH and I do not know every thing about it).  I looked at several of the fuses yesterday and all looked good.  If I do not find the problem soon, I plan to go buy a voltage meter and start testing.

I plan to go under the MH this morning to see if the connection at the starter is OK.

Thanks, Delbert

I'll let those who know your make and model, but you would definitely have a disconnect switch.  Mine has 2 seperate switches, one for the coach and the other for the chassis, and when they are off, there are only one or 2 systems hat can draw any power, and the starter is not one of them.  Since you are not getting any power to even the lights, even when using the emergency switch, it is unlikely to be a battery problem.

RVcyclist said:
We returned home today from a 10-day camping trip.  The drive was about 7 hours and everything worked well during the drive.  When we arrived at home I parked the motor home in the driveway.  When I went to move it a few minutes later, it would not start.  It will not do anything.  When I turn the key the dash lights do not illuminate and the headlights do not work.  It appears that it is not getting any power from the battery.  I tried the auxiliary start switch, but nothing happened.

I checked the battery terminals and they looked good with a minor amount of corrosion.  I cleaned them and reconnected, still no power.  I put a charger on the battery to check it and within a few minutes it was showing full charge.

Any recommendations on what to check next?  The chassis is a Workhorse W22 with an 8.1 liter engine.

Thanks,
Delbert

Turn on your headlights (even if they will not come on) and THEN check your voltage on your engine battery.

If your headlights will not come on, for now, forget the fact that the engine won't start. It will be easier to find out why the headlights won't come on. You might  have an intermittent battery. They can do weird things, such as look okay on a charger but  crap out under a load. 

-Don- SSF, CA     ​

Problem solved!

I crawled under the MH this morning and found that the terminal connector that connects the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid is broken.  It broke in the flat section between eye and the barrel that goes over the cable.  I have never seen one of these break.  I have a new connector and will have it running again soon.

FYI, my coach apparently does not have a chassis battery disconnect.  I searched for one and checked the coach and chassis manuals, no indication of a disconnect for the chassis battery.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Delbert

RVcyclist said:
Problem solved!

I crawled under the MH this morning and found that the terminal connector that connects the positive battery cable to the starter solenoid is broken. 

But how come your headlights would not come on?

-Don- SSF, CA

The positive battery cable goes directly from the battery to the starter solenoid.  There is another smaller cable that is attached to the same bolt on the solenoid.  All other power for the chassis must come from the smaller cable from the solenoid.  When the cable broke, their was no power to anything on the chassis.

Delbert

Back
Top Bottom