Motorcoach to weigh station

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hapecamper

Traveling north and south on I-75 in southern Tennessee last weekend, noticed a message board that stated "Motor Coaches must enter weigh station".
What's up with that? I didn't and no one came after me, but did see a motorhome in one of them.

Every state has different rules/regulations, so you'd probably have to contact Tennessee to know for sure.  Usually weigh stations are only for commercial motor vehicles that have to follow a separate set of rules, but maybe this weighing was for purely statistical purposes (highway survey sort of thing)?  Passing up the the weigh station was a gamble!  If a Trooper would seen & stopped you, the fines probably would have been in the hundreds of dollars for ignoring a clearly marked sign.  But I can understand the confusion, since RV's at weigh stations are a rarity.

Cant Wait said:
In this case "Motor Coach" means commercial bus lines, and charter buses, COMMERCIAL entities.

Ah ha!  Very valid clarification, thanks for posting.  I wonder why the sign doesn't read "Commercial Buses must enter weigh station" ... ?  ???

As long as you had an authorized pass to enter, I would have gone in and gotten weighed. It's always a good idea to get weighed when you have a chance. You get to review your loading and tire pressure requirements.

In Maine they make that distinction and their signs say commercial Buses must enter station. Just remember that Weigh Stations are ment for the regulation of "Intrastate and Interstate Commerice," Motorhomes and TT not involved in such are not required to enter weigh stations.

In California, the motor vehicle laws still refer to RV's as motorized house cars. When it comes to the government, anything is possible.

George

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom