Motorcycle Trailer Tow Dolly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

byoungquist

Has anybody tried the a Motorcycle Trailer Tow Dolly, i.e., you can load a motorcycle or quad on a platform in front of the dolly that is used to tow a four-wheel vehicle.

Thanks,

Bob

San Diego

No I have not but have considered it.  I have a lift by Overbilt who makes a dolly with a platform on the front for bikes/4-wheelers.  I am happy with the lift by my wife would like to take her bike also.  I will be going to New York this fall and may bite-the-bullet on that trip as that is where Overbilt is located.

Hi Bob,

I haven't but did look into it. There is a warning on the site that says some states consider it triple towing. Since half our time is spent on the east coast I can't use it. No state from FL to ME allows triple towing. It sure would make it easy to carry bikes! I imagine it will be quite difficult to check with each state. Many times they don't even know what you are talking about!

There is a warning on the site that says some states consider it triple towing.

I looked on the Overbilt site and didn't see any warning. Hard to imagine how the Motorcycle dolly could be considered any different than any other car dolly - its just a little longer.  I suppose, though, at some point the "dolly" could get big enough (maybe one of those double deckers they show) that it is really more of a utility trailer with a car perched on the back end and that could perhaps raise some questions.

Hello.  This is Overbilt Lifts Inc.  I have read your questions and replies regarding our extended car dolly and I would like to clarify a few things.  Our car dolly is NOT considered a triple tow as it is merely a car dolly extended in the front to accomodate more toys.  Many states have limits to the length of what you can tow.  For the east coast, the limit is 60-65' total length.  I have a list of the laws by state, please email me if you would like a copy.  Even the double decker is covered under this.  If you do have any questions call us toll free 866-382-1369 and we can help.

Gary,

The "dolly" to which I'm referring has a single dolly wheel at the rear center of the platform. An example can be seen at http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/. I have also seen another with two dolly wheels.

The "dolly" to which I'm referring has a single dolly wheel at the rear center of the platform. An example can be seen at http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/. ?

I see the sort of utility trailer with the single wheel. Not really a "dolly", since it does not appear to be designed to handle a car as well as whatever you put on the platform.  Is that where you saw the "triple tow" warning? I still didn't see one on the site.

But certainly if you have a bike or ATV on a trailer and then attach a car "4-down" behind the trailer, you would indeed have a triple tow. That's a distinctly different scenario than using a car dolly with a bike platform on the front, which I thinnk is what Jim Jognson was referring to (the Overbilt bike/car dolly).

Gary,

Yes, that's what I was talking about. I can't find the exact site right now but there was a warning about triple towing with that unit.

Triple on this is related to being attached to a trailer, not to an RV. 

Is the Swivel Wheel System in conjunction with my Fifth Wheel trailer considered a triple tow vehicle?
Yes! It appears that the Swivelwheel System is considered to be a triple tow.

The tow dolly with platform looks to be one good option, but the lift and receiver extension looks to be the best.  That is if you do not exceed any weight issues.

Bill,

In order to use that dolly with the RV and car I'd have to attach it to the car. I'm sure that would then become a triple tow in some states. :(

That would definitely make it a triple.  I was thinking that with the tow dolly with a platform attached to RV, it would then be a double.  You would just have to put car-wheels up on the dolly. 

What capacity do you have for towing?

My favorite is the rack that raises up with a receiver extension. 

Bill

PancakeBill said:
That would definitely make it a triple.  I was thinking that with the tow dolly with a platform attached to RV, it would then be a double.  You would just have to put car-wheels up on the dolly. 

What capacity do you have for towing?

My favorite is the rack that raises up with a receiver extension. 

Bill

Bill,

I'm not sure how much they enforce the triple tow law unless there's an accident. Two days ago, on our way north, I was parked next to a 5th wheel with a Tracker behind. The truck was an custom 4 door pickup. That whole rig had to be way over the 65' limit which I think is the longest in any state. I caught up to him on the Interstate just as a State Trooper passed him without even looking!

With the bike and an aluminum rack on the coach I'll be at the limit for the rear axle. Can't use any kind of power lift since they all weigh too much.

Jim,

IIRC, the website that talked about triple-towing also had a chart of maximum lengths by state, and I believe I saw one (SD?) with a 75' limit and a few with 70' - but it becomes moot unless you plan on doing all your travelling strictly within one of those states :D

Jim
Trip north?  You aren't joining the migration already are you?  You havn't even come over for lunch yet!

We will be nearby next week at the rally in Daytona, if still in TGO maybe you might decide to do a day pass?  We will be camped in our rig while I am working, Jolene and the pup.  And the bike.

Karl,

You're probably right. That's why I said as far as I know. :) From what I read no state on the east coast allows triple towing which pretty much prevents me from getting from FL to CT.

Bill,

I'm afraid we've already migrated. Arrived in CT yesterday. I have to start work on Monday. Just came back from Chet's with the bike. Unfortunately it rained just as we were leaving so I have a job to do tomorrow.

Sorry we didn't make it to Lazy Days. Time just got away from us. We'll do it next winter!

Jim
Did you ride the bike from Chet's?  Wow! 

Hmmm, guessing there was another option. 

It is only April!  Still cold up yonder!  Was perect weather today, is I should say.  I was hoping to get together while in Daytona this week.  Guess not...

Next year, we will be here!

PancakeBill said:
Jim
Did you ride the bike from Chet's?  Wow! 

Hmmm, guessing there was another option. 

It is only April!  Still cold up yonder!  Was perect weather today, is I should say.  I was hoping to get together while in Daytona this week.  Guess not...

Next year, we will be here!

Roy, our Service Manager and I picked the bike up yesterday with his trailer. Ten hours on the road!! Well, at least it's here and I got in a 17KM ride this morning. I think I'm going to like the bike. Sure behaved better than the one I had in training!

It is cold but should start warming up soon. Roy road his Ultra Classic to Pomfret today. Stopped on his way back. Way too far for me to go yet.

Back
Top Bottom