Motorcycles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Who else rides?  How do you transport the bike or bikes?  What do you ride?  What made the choice easy? 

Me:
I ride a 2006 Yamaha V-Star Classic 1100cc. 
I pull an enclosed trailer, which works well to carry the other extra stuff without loading it in the slide-on. 
My choice was easy, I wanted something bigger than previous bike.  Yamaha dealer had special finace option, 6.99% simple, so I can pay off early, and keep interest down.  Plus I loved the bike, the style etc.  Wanted driveshaft, classic styling, and didn't want the priice of a new Harley.  Maybe next bike. 

I have my trailer set up to carry 1 or 2 bikes. 

Jim Dick...  trailer also allows me to offload some of what used to appear out of my old slide-in.

Hi Bill,

Glad you found room for the "extra stuff" you always carry!!! ;D I haven't purchased a rack yet but I'm leaning toward an aluminum ramp/rack that is only 70lbs and will hold up to 700lbs with the triple stinger. Will do more research before actual purchase. Lots of goodies to buy for the piglet before that. :)

I've ridden about 150 miles so far and it is a great bike! First fill up showed 65mpg!! Hope to start riding to work soon.

Jim
Good deal.  Will it be up in the air?  Consider driving up on it, can be tricky.  Best if on the ground then lifted.

Neighbor back home had a rack that carried 2 like yours.  Opposite facing as you would imagine.Never saw him load it though. 

Your mileage may get a little better as it goes thru breakin.  Have you added any goodies yet?  Gary DeLong bought mine, and he replaced the windshield, he may be interested in selling.  Pretty nice and hardly any miles on it.  Only had it on for about 2 months before buying the new bike. 

Any mods?  The drilling out the 3 rivets in the exhaust and popping that last baffel, makes exhaust sound better, yet still quiet.  Can be easily replaced. 

Ride safe!  See you in the Fall. 

Hi Bill,

The rack will be mounted on the receiver with a tilt ramp. A small winch can be attached. No way to drive up on it.

I've removed the silencers and it does sound much better. I have an order put together for Richard in Korea. Includes windshield, center stand, fog lights, heel shifter, luggage rack, and possibly the hard saddle bags with the hard case on the carrier that match the color of the bike. That should do it for now. ;D I've had a good spring at work so the money is there. Just hope it keeps up the rest of the summer!

Hope to get a ride in today. It's still pretty chilly this morning and sometimes a little windy. Should be better in an hour or so.

Jim

Thought of you yesterday when a Kountry Star pulled in near us with a pair of big motorscooters hung on the back. With the exception of the smaller wheels, it was hard to distinguish them from a cycle.  Racy lines, fancy fairings, saddle bags, etc - very pretty!  Maybe you could get Pat one of those!  ;)

Glad to hear work has been going well for you too.

After 35  years of non-injury Harley riding, I have sold my last one. We bought a Yamaha Zuma scooter [49cc] . I found a receiver mount rail w/ramp for the back of the RV to haul it. This is perfect for zipping around the camp area, or making a run to the store without moving the Minnie. And I hate to admit after so many years of Harley riding, it is a heck of a lot of fun to ride ! I have trouble keeping my wife and daughter off of it !
This was our solution to a tow vehicle.

Jack.

Bill,

I carry a 1600cc Yamaha Roadstar Silverado on the back of my Dutch Star on a lift made by Overbilt Lifts.  I have a 1500cc Gold Wing that I ride on long-distance touring.  My wife rides a 750cc Honda Aero.  She has been trying to talk me into getting the dolly that Overbilt makes that will carry two bikes.  Looking at trading the Roadstar but cannot decide what I want.  Somewhere between a Yamaha FJR and a Yamaha Roadliner S.  Talk about bandwidth ::)

RV Roamer said:
Thought of you yesterday when a Kountry Star pulled in near us with a pair of big motorscooters hung on the back. With the exception of the smaller wheels, it was hard to distinguish them from a cycle.  Racy lines, fancy fairings, saddle bags, etc - very pretty!  Maybe you could get Pat one of those!  ;)

Glad to hear work has been going well for you too.

Gary,

I was going to get the 650cc Suzuki scooter. We can ride those at TGO but not a motorcycle. The problem is the Suzi weighs in around 600lbs! My Hyosung weighs around 350. That I can carry on the rear of the coach. No way do I have the payload for the Suzi. There's a lot of storage on those scooters even without the box on the rear. The speedo on the Suzi goes to 130!!! Waaay too fast for me. :)

I just finished my second ride for today. I now have 355km on the odometer. Everytime I feel a little better but will always be looking out for the "other guy"!

Work has been very good. I was actually expecting some time off last week as we had only two going out in the afternoon. Didn't happen. I ended up doing a PDI on a motorhome.

Hi Jack,

As I mentioned to Gary in a previous post I was looking at the big scooters. I talked to a couple of guys at TGO that own them and they said they were more fun than a motorcycle. The big problems were weight and cost. A new Suzi is over $7000! I got the Hyosung for $2400. It's a left over 2004 but came with a 2 year warranty, which they didn't have originally.

One of the guys in my park has the Bergman thing.  What I don't like about the scooters is the wheel diameter.  Just doesn't look stable to me.  I am likely completely wrong, but what the heck.  Have to nail our bias to something. 

I saw a trailer/tow-dollie the other day.  Carried 2 bikes and front wheels of car.  Looked like a good solution for some.

Now how does the winch work?  Doesn't the bike get a little unwieldly to balance on the way up?  Or does the bike strap on and the winch pull the rail up?  Saw something like that for a pickup truck.  Looked way too expensive a solution for not driving up a ramp. 

My solo trailer I have up in CT just had the wheel width rail, I used to ride that one up no problem, but the highest it got was about 18". 

Parts for Hyosung.  What will the windshield cost?  I bought one out of Jacksonville for 200 change.  Nicely made.  Oh, get a headlight visor, otherwise the edge of the w/s picks up the light and it is distracting at the top.    OR, put tape or somehow opaque the edge around the light.    Centerstand, always wanted one, never got one.  Hard bags make sense, I had soft bags that were too small.  Looked right on the bike, but nothing fit in them!

What do the g-kids think about it all?
+++++++++++++

I love the Roadstar, but I would likely trade next for the Strato-Liner.  2000 CC, neat styling, and all the bells. 

I was going to get the 650cc Suzuki scooter. We can ride those at TGO but not a motorcycle. The problem is the Suzi weighs in around 600lbs! My Hyosung weighs around 350.

Uh, that's a bit over the top, wouldn't you say?  You don't have to buy the very biggest model, just because its available!  The Suzuki Burgman 400 is "only" 385 cc and 400 lbs. Or the Honda Reflex Sport at 249 cc and 375 lbs.  Sexy and serious without going overboard. 
http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/model.asp?ModelName=Reflex+Sport&ModelYear=2006&ModelId=NSS250S6

Or maybe better yet, the Alien scooter, 149 cc and 250 lbs and a top speed of around 60.

http://www.gsmotorworks.com/PRODUCTDETAIL/c27_f744/Sport_Scooters/0.html

Bill,

Lots of guys ride the Bergman in FL. I agree they seem a little short in the wheel size and that was one of my concerns. Doesn't seem to affect them on the road. I'd be sure to watch out for large pot holes!

Not sure how the winch works but there is a wheel grabber available. Can't say if only works once the bike is on the rack or not. I need to find out more info. With the winch, Pat could operate that while I balance the bike.

The windshield from Richard in Korea is $70 plus shipping. Works out to around $100 with the other stuff I ordered since shipping everything at once is less expensive. I've read that comment on the visor and will be looking at J.C. Whitney for one. Grandson loves it but granddaughter doesn't care. :)

I thought, before I actually picked up the bike, that I might upgrade someday. After riding this around CT I have no desire to get anything larger. I'm not looking for Interstate riding and this is great for any back roads.

RV Roamer said:
Uh, that's a bit over the top, wouldn't you say?  You don't have to buy the very biggest model, just because its available!  The Suzuki Burgman 400 is "only" 385 cc and 400 lbs. Or the Honda Reflex Sport at 249 cc and 375 lbs.  Sexy and serious without going overboard. 
http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/model.asp?ModelName=Reflex+Sport&ModelYear=2006&ModelId=NSS250S6

Or maybe better yet, the Alien scooter, 149 cc and 250 lbs and a top speed of around 60.

http://www.gsmotorworks.com/PRODUCTDETAIL/c27_f744/Sport_Scooters/0.html

Gary,

No, I don't think it's over the top. All you have to do is listen to a 400cc compared to a 650cc and you'll hear a difference. The 650 is much smoother than the smaller one. I know a guy who traded down from a 600 Honda to a 400 Suzuki. He doesn't like it as well. They all have their place and it's just a matter of what you want to do with it. The smaller ones are great for running around town but they won't do the long rides. Top speed is really pushing any of the bikes. My Hyosung has a top speed of around 80mph. Pushing that for any amount of time can really do damage to the engine. It's much happier around 55-60. :)

The Hyosung is great on backrroads, probably would have stayed with it except for the roads I travel on a daily basis.  60 speed zone with average car at 65 to 75.  Sitting there at 55 to 60 just gets uncomfortable.  The ability to safely get around the sand trucks was another issue. 

That price on the w/s is great, I paid over 200.  Not sure how the difference would be, the one I bought was made very nice.  If I had had the chance to buy one for 70 + ship I would have jumped on it.  One advantage for the extra moey was delivery, mine came 2 days after I ordered it. 

Think about floorboards.  Very nice. 

Just saw a new scooter at the Yamaha shop, a Morphus I think.  Looked like a wave runner with wheels.

Before you do anything you need to go to www.towingworld.com and check out all the motorcycle carriers that BLUE OX has. I just ordered the sports loader and seen it at a show this spring. Blue Ox is not just a tow bar company anymore I was really suprise at all the products they have.

irishbear65 said:
Before you do anything you need to go to www.towingworld.com and check out all the motorcycle carriers that BLUE OX has. I just ordered the sports loader and seen it at a show this spring. Blue Ox is not just a tow bar company anymore I was really suprise at all the products they have.

I've looked at their products but they all weigh too much for my application. I need a light aluminum rack so I don't overload the rear axle on the motor home. I've found one that will carry a 500lb bike and only weighs 70 lbs.

PancakeBill said:
The Hyosung is great on backrroads, probably would have stayed with it except for the roads I travel on a daily basis.  60 speed zone with average car at 65 to 75.  Sitting there at 55 to 60 just gets uncomfortable.  The ability to safely get around the sand trucks was another issue. 

That price on the w/s is great, I paid over 200.  Not sure how the difference would be, the one I bought was made very nice.  If I had had the chance to buy one for 70 + ship I would have jumped on it.  One advantage for the extra moey was delivery, mine came 2 days after I ordered it. 

Think about floorboards.  Very nice. 

Just saw a new scooter at the Yamaha shop, a Morphus I think.  Looked like a wave runner with wheels.

Bill,

Richard's typical shipping time from Korea is 3-5 days. We'll see if that happens here. Should be arriving today. :) Some parts were delayed but were shipped yesterday. He is absorbing the additional shipping costs due to Hyosungs inability to provide them in a timely manner. He's quite a guy.

I've read about the floorboards. Seems some of them are rigid and will create a real problem if the bike goes down. I think Don found a way to mount one set so they will flip up in a spill.

I thought all the floorboards were spring mounted, maybe not. 

Hope all arrives soon, the windshield makes all the difference inthe world. Guess you haven't been riding lately?  Heard about the rains.

Folks are heading to St Augustine for a rally, then on up to RI.  The ought to be there in about 2 weeks I guess. 

We are heading up to Cherokee, NC in early Sept.  Going to ride the Dragon.

Back
Top Bottom