Motorhome Enclosure rated for SNOW??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Trying to come up with the most practical solution to store our motorhome under cover in the winter when not travelling. Wood pole barns are one possibility. Also looked at adding a lean-to structure to our external garage. I also see a number of portable models both online and at various campgrounds. Are any of these able to safely handle snow loads? We can get some pretty good snow storms from time to time here in upstate NY.

jymbee said:
Trying to come up with the most practical solution to store our motorhome under cover in the winter when not travelling. Wood pole barns are one possibility. Also looked at adding a lean-to structure to our external garage. I also see a number of portable models both online and at various campgrounds. Are any of these able to safely handle snow loads? We can get some pretty good snow storms from time to time here in upstate NY.

My '96 Safari Sahara, (with now 150k+ miles), has been outside, with no cover, for 22 years. (Including 17 winters in northern Wisconsin): http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-tW9bKnUzmKg/VaJgaVy9obI/AAAAAAAArMg/3nDHodmrpso/s640/0707152020_resized.jpg

There are internet sites that show anticipated ?snow loads? for the area. Pole Barns can/should be designed for the particular region!

The Dutchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck NY has a number of large exposition buildings that fill up with RVs and boats every winter.  These buildings hold up just fine to the winter snow, they were designed by engineers who took the snow load into account when doing their sums. Don't know how much the Fair management  charges for storage, but mighten't you be better off with someplace like that as opposed to trying to build your own?

This company is 60 miles from me and they carry quality products for the AG industry, they literally have 1000's of structures all over the mid west and snow is not an issue for their buildings.  Check them out.

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/cat1a;ft_fabric_buildings.html

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_fabric_buildings-ft_economy_buildings-ft_clearspan_value_line_buildings;pg105596.html

I have one of the clear span buildings from farmtek. 20x40 I believe. Been up about 15 years now. Great building. I believe it?s 12 oz. fabric. Anyway, it?s the same weight of fabric as DOT has for their sand sheds around here. They offer a high snow load frame which I think puts the framing on 4? centers. I bought the standard frame which I think is 6? centers. I?m in northern Colorado.
  My building is green with a white stripe down center of roof which lets in an amazing amount of light. Only downside is heat buildup in the summer. It?s like a greenhouse. I recommend full doors on both ends. I originally had a man door on one end and full door on other. After first summer, replaced man door with full door for ventilation. I framed in rollup doors.

I am not sure about the portables in Snow.  But depending on if you have snow. Snow or SNOW!!!!

A metal roof sheds snow better than anything else. and the steeper the roof the faster it sheds.

The flatter the roof the more weight it will have to carry.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom