Motorhome height

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be too chicken to go under less than 14 feet, in my 12' 6" RV unless I could do it at less than 2 MPH.
Then that is your answer. But what are you going to do when you encounter a "low bridge" on your route? Are you prepared to find a turn-around and backtrack miles to an alternate route?

Be aware that most highways in the eastern US were constructed when 13'6" was the standard height. Even on interstates. Also that many old highways were granted exceptions for existing low railroad crossings that were impractical to replace.

BTW, the height shown on underpass signs is the lowest point over the pavement. In most cases, there is additional room at either the center (arch openings) or one side (slanted openings).

I would be too chicken to go under less than 14 feet, in my 12' 6" RV unless I could do it at less than 2 MPH.

-Don- Everglades, FL
You won’t enjoy the northeast. 13’6” is the norm. Tractor trailers go under at highway speeds all the time.

If you are going to clear, doesn’t matter the speed. Also, if going to hit.

NY State DOT marks all overpasses with less than 14 foot clearance as one foot lower than actual by law. That only applies on state and federal roads though. Towns and counties may have different rules.

Every RV I've owned that was tall enough to possibly be a concern, I've measured by simply laying a board across the fixed high point, typically an A/C shroud, and measured down to the gutter or awning rail. Then I measured from the gutter/rail down to the ground, from the ground. For safety, I then add an additional foot on the tag I stick on the dash. I also have a low clearance points of interest file on my GPS with an alert set for 2 miles before there's a problem.

I measured our Holiday Rambler and it was right on 12'6" to the top of the air conditioner. Also printed out the Metric measurement on the dash for driving in Canada.

But what are you going to do when you encounter a "low bridge" on your route?
I trust on the interstates this won't be a problem. If I see what looks like too low, I will do whatever I can to not go under it. What I do could vary with the situation.

Are you prepared to find a turn-around and backtrack miles to an alternate route?
Even if a thousand miles. I usually don't care where I go on these trips, this one being an exception as I wanted to come here.

-Don- Everglades, FL

I trust on the interstates this won't be a problem.
Not usually, but DO monitor the signs. There is a short stretch of southbound I-25 through the heart of Denver where the signs say that trucks should use the two center lanes. Low trucks are no big deal, but one lane has a 12' something height and there is one other a short distance later that could get a tall vehicle.

It will be if you insist on 14.0 ft. There are literally hundreds of 13'6" underpasses on interstates.
I wonder if I have been under any of those yet. But okay, I will now now feel safe as low as 13'6", but 14' is easier to remember.

I don't worry about the underpasses on freeways as they are designed to let trucks clear. But I do like to see trucks go under some of them before it's my turn!

-Don- Everglades, FL

I got stuck on a frontage road in Missouri that went under a freeway on ramp. Advertised clearance was 10'6" on my side of the road. My coach is around 12'6".
Luckily there was no oncoming traffic because the clearance was much higher on the oncoming side and I managed to squeek under it at around 5mph.

Back
Top Bottom