Motorhome tangled in overhead wires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

STUPID - AGAIN !!

We were planning to overnight in the WalMart in Truro NS, but found "No Overnight Parking" signs when we got there.

So, we drove toward the Confederation Bridge for our PEI crossing.

En-route, in Wentworth, we found an abandoned gas station with large car parking area, so decided to overnight there.

Whilst taking it very slowly to ensure we got under the canopy, we exited at the other end and failed to notice the black cables strung across the parking area.

Yep - one caught on the RV and to cut a long story short, I ended up on the roof inspecting the damage - whilst staying clear of the other 2 cables just above.

The rubber cable was stuck very tightly in an S shape around the two air conditioners - on one it was caught under the solar panel but the other had dug into the plastic casing of the air con unit.

It seemed I could unscrew the end of the solar panel to free the cable - but the screw was stuck solid.

All I could think of was to cut the cable - hoping it wasn't "live".

Not even thinking of how tight this rubber cable was, I cut it in two.

Of course, it then snapped away with a whipping noise as the rubber contracted - thankfully, I wasn't standing in the way.

We are now left with the front air con unit sitting at a slight angle and the rear one with big dents on two corners - but at least they both still work.

Paul

PS Did I read before that there was a trophy for the most idiotic things you could do in a week ?

Tom

Administrator
UK-RV said:
..... we found an abandoned gas station with large car parking area, so decided to overnight there.

That could get you in trouble for tresspassing.

All I could think of was to cut the cable - hoping it wasn't "live".

That's never a good idea! Even if you're isolated from ground (earth in UK terms) by the fiberglass or rubber roof of the coach and the tyres, you could short a couple of wires if they were indeed live. Who knows what the result of that might be, including burning yourself.

PS Did I read before that there was a trophy for the most idiotic things you could do in a week ?

Terry Brewer is going to be so pleased to not receive it this year  ;D  BTW it's called the HFWPOH (hit forehead with palm of hand) award.

Edit: P.S. Didn't mean to appear judgemental in my comments above; I just wanted to be sure others were aware of the potential consequences of doing the same thing.

DougJ

Forget the trophy, but keep you journal and posts--you've got a best-seller book in the making; could be in the comedy section. :)

Ciao,

Doug--who's done his fair share of the idiotic.

John From Detroit

I will second what TOM said about cutting wires.  Never a good idea.  A better idea would have been to find another wall-mart Or a Flying J, or a Sam's Club, or a Costco, or a _______ (Other large concrete parking lot)

Mike in Texas

Back in the 70s when I was building (with my own hands) the nice lake house which you can see on my web site ( http://www.mjgkramer.com ), there was wrought iron framed wood sign that the one doing the most recent dumb thing was obligated to display on his front yard. It was called the SCODA award, which stood foor "Severe Case of the Dumb Ass". Although I made a few dumb mistakes, for unknown reasons I never received the award.

Top Bottom