Motorhome Won't Start??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdyoung

Help, I tried to start my motorhome today and all I heard was a one click each time I tried to start it.  I cleaned the battery post and cables, but still no help.  I noticed that my shifter won't move out of park unless the key is in the start postion.  Anyone have any suggestions?

What is the make and model of your motorhome?  Have you checked the condition of your starter battery..water levels, voltage and cranging power?

You may need to remove the battery and take it to a garage or auto parts store like NAPA where they can test it for you.

Of the battery is bulging, it shouold be replaced and be careful handling your battery.  Use protective eyewaye, rubber gloves and heavy old clothes...no bare skin exposed in the event any of the corrosive sulphuric acid splashes.

The clicking when turning the key usually indicates a weak battery, which is clicking the solenoid, but does not have the power to turn the starter motor.

Give us more info on your RV, the age of the current battery and any info on the stste of the battery...if known.

Have you tried to boos it from another vehicle to start the motorhome?

Most motorhomes have an emergency start button on the dash which connects the house battery to the starting battery to help start the motorhome in the event the chassis battery is down. Press the emergency start button and then turn the ignition key.

Most chassis batteries will drain in a few days from parasites that are always on.  I put disconnect switches on my chassis batteries so I can disconnect the batteries when it's in storage.  Keeps them available for starting. 

Also, start your generator and try to start the engine.  Mine will work that way as it will from the aux start switch on the dash.  The aux switch lets you start the engine off the house batteries.

Shayne said:
The guy asked the question and then never returned.

Shayne,

He returned on 7/19. Probably read the replies but didn't respond.

He returned on 7/19. Probably read the replies but didn't respond.

No couth, eh!

Ciao,

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom