Mount Rushmore to Yellowstone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryN

Hi everybody!
We recently upgraded to a 30 ft TT for our 'big trip' in July of '07 and I am looking for a good route between these two destinations. My wife doesn't like the idea of steep drops off the roadside, so going in the east entrance probably isn't a good idea. I was thinking of going through Casper, Wyoming, then route 20. I'm open to sugesstions. Let me know Thanks.

If you haven't been to Cody, I would recommend Al's way so you can see the museums there.  Great way to spend a couple of days touring them.

Either way, enjoy,

I agree about not missing Cody.  We went through their this sumer at the advice of this forum and LOVED it!  Not only the best museum on the West I have ever seen (you could easily spend three days inside it), but a really cool town, and a full blown rodeo, 7 days a week during the season.

Larry,

I agree that the Cody museum is not to be missed. If you like guns you can spend several days in their Colt museum. Also there is a fantastic drive along the Chief Joseph highway and the Bear Tooth Pass into lRed Lodge, Montana. Do not miss this drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is the best we have seen in 10 years of traveling!

Jim has provided excellent advice.  I consider the Chief Joseph - Beartooth highway trip to be more quality scenery than yellowstone.  However, strongly recommend parking the MH in Cody and doing this trip to Red Lodge and back in the toad.

I should have added the Chief Joseph Hwy too so I'll add that the 191 from Bozeman south is in a very scenic canyon too as you follow the Gallatin River for quite a ways.  in the summer you can watch the rafters and kayaks on the river.  It is usually a class 4 till after July 4.  We took the grand kids on it a few years ago and all had a ball.  BG

Ron,

Thanks for qualifying the drive to Red Lodge! I wasn't thinking about the motorhome and failed to add that little but extemely important tip. :)

When you come out West again maybe we can make that trip again.  Also we haven't been to the Buffalo Bill museum since they finished the addition.

LarryN said:
    Hi everybody!
We recently upgraded to a 30 ft TT for our 'big trip' in July of '07 and I am looking for a good route between these two destinations. My wife doesn't like the idea of steep drops off the roadside, so going in the east entrance probably isn't a good idea. I was thinking of going through Casper, Wyoming, then route 20. I'm open to sugesstions. Let me know Thanks.

US16 to I90 to Buffalo. From Buffalo US 16 to Greybull and then US14 to Cody.  Beautiful trip in 16 thru Bighorn Ntnl Forest to Tensleep with little traffic. A downhill stretch to Tensleep but not bad. After that piece of cake to Cody. Stay at Cody a while and do the side trips others have recommended. Take a day trip in the east entrance if you wish to check it out without the trailer, but I am a flatlander and have done this route with a 32 ft fifth wheel...no problem.  Wouldn't trade it for a trip on I90 for a gazillion dollars. Go thru the park with the trailer very early in the am for West Yellowstone. Do not tour the park with the trailer attached...park it and do day trips with the tow vehicle.

Let me add my thanks also ... we are newbies and one of our first trips will be to Yellowstone from Michigan late next summer.? The collective experience on this board is great!

Back
Top Bottom