mounting GPS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stef1435

I am curious as to where you mount your GPS? Is it mounted on top of the dash or lower on the dash? I know some states don't allow the unit to be on top of the dash. You need the mounting close to the wheel so you can see the small screen. Any help will be appreciated  thanks

Ours is mounted on the dash, but facing the navigator (me). The wife does most of the driving and I navigate. If I want to take a nap, I just turn up the volume on the voice commands. The driver wakes me up when she's lost.

I mount our Garmin C330  low on the windshield with its suction cup.  It does not interfere with my view of the road.  It is my understanding this is not allowed in California although I used it there for the past week without incident.  I was passed in both directions by CHP and I'm sure they would have seen it if they were looking.

Lowell said:
I was passed in both directions by CHP and I'm sure they would have seen it if they were looking.

They were probably busy "not" noticing an 18 wheeler or RV w/toad exceeding the 55mph speed limit and driving in the wrong lane. :( :)

It's probably one of those laws in CA that they don't look for, but if they pull you over for something else will notice it and ticket you. CA is my resident State and the CHP attention to one law versus another has always been a puzzle to me. For example, I am totally baffled by the CHP sitting around the bug stations on our borders while vehicles pass through with no inspection whatsoever. Auto speeding seems to be a higher priority than most other freeway infractions. They hide and wait for those . . . I know, from experience.  :)

BTW, am enjoying this thread. Have just purchased a Garmin 2610 and am toying with mounting positions in Jeep and Rig. I don't have a people navigator so am trying to find a spot that will be close to my driving view, but not interfere with that view. Looks like it is going to be on top of the dash about 8 inches or so to the right of the steering wheel. I tried just in front of the instrument cluster but it hides too many other important items -- such as what gear I am in.

Was not aware that there was a law against "atop the dash" anywhere.

Bob,  If you can mount it in the shade, it will be easier to see.  With  mine mounted on the windshield, sometimes the sun shines on it such that it is hard to read.  Good thing Mrs Garmin talks to me too!  ;D

Bob, I have mine mounted on the dash as well and used it in California for a year. They are not looking for this little guy sitting on your dash, that is unless you get into an accident because you were trying to put in an address and looking on the road. Ours has been to 23 states and all of BC sitting on the dash in the MH and on the low left side of our toad. Love that Garmin. BnA

I have been using my Garmin c330 suction mounted to the windshield for several months in the Minnie and my truck. I live in southern CA and so far Smokey has ignored me.....I actually have it in a better position on the windshield than it would be if I dash mounted it. Weird law anyway !

Jack

In my case it is a bit hard to explain,,, The Garmin itself is not mounted in the MH unless I need it's compass function, in that case it's velcrowed to the dash.  otherwise it's "tossed" into the void left when I raise the rear-view monitor.

The display (normally) is this very same laptop on a table between wife and I.  If only wife would learn how to either 1: Drive ro 2: Navigate, I'd be real happy

I have tried mounting my TomTom Go700 on the windshield of our Monaco Diplomat but have a hard time seeing it that far away. I have had much better success with it mounted on the side window even with the middle of the steering wheel. I am saving up to buy one with a 7 inch screen, possibly  a Garmin Street Pilot 7200. Anyone interested in a Go700?

On The Road Again said:
Bob, I have mine mounted on the dash as well and used it in California for a year. They are not looking for this little guy sitting on your dash, that is unless you get into an accident because you were trying to put in an address and looking on the road. Ours has been to 23 states and all of BC sitting on the dash in the MH and on the low left side of our toad. Love that Garmin. BnA

Thanks, On the Road Again -- that seems to be where I am the most comfortable. I hate to use Velcro or that deal that came with the unit and will probably use a little C Clamp over the bean bag until I'm sure that is where I want it.  In the Jeep, the bean bag lays nicely on the dash just to the right of the instrument cluster without help. In both vehicles I am getting the needed satellites for good 3D fixes.

But for now I'm still figuring out how to use this puppy. I can do the general stuff, but must think or look at my cheat sheet when doing more exotic maneuvers. A few days ago I was trying to get to Sam's Club in Roseville, CA. Seems a road that Garmin wanted to use was no longer there - and as a result, it appeared to want to take me to far away places. :(

Lowell said:
Bob,? If you can mount it in the shade, it will be easier to see.? With? mine mounted on the windshield, sometimes the sun shines on it such that it is hard to read.? Good thing Mrs Garmin talks to me too!? ;D

That is certainly a consideration, Lowell. I tried to use a Lap Top a number times and finally just gave up because the only time I could see the screen was after dark. So far in my testing I am able to see it OK on the dash. I see the 2610 has adjustments on screen brightness but so far have not had need to brighten the display. Thanks for the feedback . . .

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom