Mounting ladder standoffs to fiberglass body

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nolimit5678

I need help figuring out how to remount ladder standoffs to fiberglass of my RV. I want to drill the ribets out of the old standoff brackets (the ladder got bent and all the standoffs are rusted)but I?m afraid there are backing plates behind the fiberglass and they would fall once all 4 ribets are drill out and I won?t be able to get to them. Can anyone tell me how to mount these without tearing my inside wall. The fiberglass can?t hold a person with just ribets can they. I have a 1997 Holiday Rambler Vacationer

I'd expect the "backing plates" would be wood blocks glassed in. But I've seen some goofy things that manufacturers do when viewed from the other side/inside.

You might consider simply removing the ladder and carrying a telescoping ladder instead.  I carry one of these, https://smile.amazon.com/Xtend-Climb-785P-Telescoping-Professional/dp/B009T08CNO/  it is much sturdier than the cheaper telescoping ladders out there.

If there are backing plates, they'll be larger than the ladder standoffs to distribute the weight.  Drill a small hole on either side of the standoffs and see if you hit anything.

If you do, insert a couple of screws to hold the backing plate in place while you remove the old ladder. 

Now you can work on replacing the ladder posts without worrying about knocking the backing plates loose. When you're done, either leave the temporary screws in place or remove them and patch their holes using a bit of JB Weld or similar two part epoxy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom