Mouse Problem Solved (Finally)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin Means

Site Team
This is rather long, but you might find it helpful if you have mouse problems. In more than 30 years of RVing, we never had a mouse problem... until recently when we parked our motorhome on the lot where our new Arizona facility is being built. While overseeing the project, we lived in the RV on the same lot for nearly a year.

Not surprisingly, we started seeing signs of mice in the RV after a couple months, but they really seemed to gain a stronghold when we left the RV unoccupied on the lot for a week. When we returned, the fight was on. Over about six months, we tried different types of traps and bait, and we trapped a lot of mice, but we just couldn't get them all. They even seemed to become "trap-aware" over time. We had to put paper towels, toilet paper, cloth towels and other things up high, or we'd find them shredded, and stuffed in various places throughout the RV.

Beyond the mouse poop, we started to see some real damage. An ABS warning light illuminated, and when I took it to Freightliner, they found that mice had chewed through some wiring associated the the ABS system. That repair cost a little over $1500.00. A few weeks ago, we drove the RV to San Diego, but the morning we left Arizona, I discovered that our inverter's remote control, and our electrical management system's monitor were both inoperative. I spent a day in San Diego trying to locate the damage, and found that mice had chewed through two communication cables under the bed. I was able to fix them myself.

The morning we were to head back to Arizona, we woke up to a hissing sound, and I discovered that mice had chewed through the water hose in the wet bay. We were hooked up to water at the time, so water was everywhere, but other than the hose itself, I found no damage. I decided to fix the hose the next day when we got back to Arizona.

The new facility has a climate controlled RV garage, and when we got there, I parked the RV inside, and we slept in it that night. When we woke up the next morning, we woke up the the smell of diesel fuel. When I stepped outside the RV, I found that we were sitting in a pool of diesel fuel. There was a slow stream of diesel coming out from under the RV, and much of the garage floor was covered in fuel. I got the RV out of the garage and tried to locate the leak, but was unable to, so I arranged to have a facility in Tucson work on it. They were able to find and fix the leak a few days later, but only after cutting an access hole in the belly of the RV to access the fuel line. They said mice had chewed through the line. That repair cost more than $3200.00.

After it was repaired, I contacted a tent-fumigation company in Benson, Arizona and asked if they had ever tented an RV. They said they had, but it was rare. They agreed to tent it, and it was a two-day, $1600.00 job. We knew we'd have to deal with a dead-mouse odor for awhile, but that was infinitely preferable to more damage. Here's the good news, our insurance company (Farmers) agreed to fully reimburse us for the cost of repairing the fuel line.

Our motorhome is inside now, and the building is very well built. I have diligently searched for anyplace mice could get in, but found none, and we've seen no signs of mice. So if you find yourself in a similar situation, and traditional traps aren't working for you, tenting might be an option.

Kev

Attachments

• SolaRVector Facility.jpg
    SolaRVector Facility.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 19
  • RV Fumigation Tent.jpg
    RV Fumigation Tent.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 20
It certainly can be a problem. Thankfully, my travel trailer is fiberglass and there are no unsealed openings a mouse could get thru.

The airline I retired from had a aircraft that a shipment of white laboratory mice broke open and the mice were all through the aircraft (a Boeing 767). They tried the usual stuff to no avail and appealed to the employees for suggestions. The farm boys all suggested buckets with antifreeze, sticks leaning on them and a spinner of some sort with peanut butter bait. Others suggested taking the airplane to Fairbanks and letting it cold soak at below zero temps. I don't recall the other suggestions, and no outcome was ever formally announced, but somehow they got rid of them.

Charles

Seems all you'd need is a den of snakes in the RV. They can reach places that cats can't.

I've never had to deal with them in my RV but they did a number to some stuff I had stored in my tool shed. I set traps in there and never caught any so they either got bored and left or expired in place. It's annoying enough to ruin some extension cords and camping stuff, but causing thousands in vehicle damage will really affect how cute and innocent you think they are.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I admire the confidence in how well your trailer is sealed Charles.
Imagine two matching fiberglass boat hulls, one flipped over on top of the other, then glued together. That is how my trailer is built. The only openings are where holes are drilled for gas lines to pass up thru, and a couple of places where holes are drilled for wires to pass thru. These are all sealed with sealant around the tubes or wires. The waste tanks are shrouded and the shroud is sealed with a rubbery sealant all the way around where it meets the belly and frame. The door fits rather tight but I suppose one could flatten thru the gap somehow. I am sure this trailer would float for a long time if it landed in a lake. Everything has bug screens and the heater access panel has a gasket around it. My biggest worry is the Onan generator underneath with large cooling openings. I need to figure out how to cover them with at least 1/4 inch hardware cloth, if not the #8 bug screen material I bought

Charles

Attachments

• genny looking fwd lh side.jpg
    genny looking fwd lh side.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 18
And snakes don't play with them like the cats do. The cats occasionally let one get away.
And day before yesterday, my female cat that goes out brought in a live chipmunk and deposited it in the kitchen. I managed to grab it by the tail and toss it out in the yard just as it was coming out of shock. Then today, the great hunter brought me a baby snake in the shop. It was 8 inches long and no more than an eighth of an inch diameter. I put on a work glove and managed to get it and tossed it out in the leaves.

I know I have mice in the outside corner trim of the building (steel building) and have never been able to seal it well enough to keep them out, plus there are too many openings at bottoms and corners of the doors. For me, rat snakes are a good thing.

Charles

We've been very lucky, so far. Before we got ready to hit the road, Mice found their way into the cargo area by climbing the power cord into the power bay. From there, the could get into the mid storage bays, and set up a nice nest. I found that, and ran them off. Then, wrapped steel wool around the port for the power cable.
I keep all brush and weeds away from the parking pad, so tires and power cable are the only thing touching the ground.
We've been mouseless for the last two years.

Now, if I could only keep them out of the House.

For the first time since we got our trailer in 2016 we had mice this year.

We think they are coming in by climbing up the inside of the front cap probably via the battery cables. It is not an easy area to block as the gap is an inch or so wide the width of the trailer. We will have a look when we get back.

We were parked in a grassy place and they got in between the roof and the ceiling. We were able to take the light fittings out and put traps in and caught 5. They were there for a while and I was worried about them reproducing but we obviously caught them in time. I think we got them in 2 different locations so we definitely need to spend time sorting this issue. The noise they make during the night is unbelievable.

We had one more inside but luckily I think it was there for a very short time and when I opened a slide it got out under it. Thank goodness!

So glad you got the problem sorted Kev. Your coach is really nice so that must have been a real pain.

remove all food sources!!! It becomes a magnet,>>>Dan
When you have to get rid of mice/rats inside a building or other structure,, seal it up and install an
OZONE GENERATOR overnite,, it will kill anything, including the Oder of anything, in the building or containment by displacing all breathable air..>>> Ozone generators can be rented at most equipment rental places..

Last edited:
TomCat mouse and rat bait does work to destroy them. I buy it a the local Rural King store. I buy the chunks type and drop one down every plumbing hole into the space between main and sub-floor, then put one in each basement bay that has an opening in the bottom, like shore power cord, plumbing drains, ets.
Mouse urine has a bacteria in it that can make humans very ill. ref: Is Mouse Urine Harmful To Humans?

Last edited:
I feel your pain Kev. I have the occasional mouse guest, but I have taken to leaving 3-4 snap traps baited and set in various places in the RV. And my rig was in regular use so it wasn't sitting long, but certain campgrounds like state forest campgrounds are a real hot spot for mice. It's been a while now, but I would randomly catch one in a trap without ever knowing it was aboard. If you kill the first one, they are less likely to bring their friends to stay with them. Since I put the pad in at the house in Havasu I haven't had any unwanted guests recently. Grassy or dirt lots are a magnet for the little critters.

We picked up a few mice the last 2 weeks at a forest service campground during our 3 1/2 month summer tour of the pacific northwest.
We were able to catch all 5 of them using glue traps baited with a cheerio. We didn't want to use poison and have them die somewhere we couldn't get to and have the dead mouse smell in our new 5th wheel.
It's amazing how many places a mouse could get in once I started looking at how they got in to begin with.

remove all food sources!!! It becomes a magnet,>>>Dan
When you have to get rid of mice/rats inside a building or other structure,, seal it up and install an
OZONE GENERATOR overnite,, it will kill anything, including the Oder of anything, in the building or containment by displacing all breathable air..>>> Ozone generators can be rented at most equipment rental places..
Funny you mention that, my Father has a CPAP, and we have a CPAP cleaner by Respify, that is an OZONE generator. It cleans the hose and mask, etc., inside of a special bag to prevent the OZONE gas from getting out. It runs a 90 minute cycle. Well, last summer, curious me- ran a couple of cycles in the camper without the bag while we were away. It worked perfectly, and our mice were gone the next day. Now I've gotten a second one, just for this. $79 to buy, recharges on a USB cord, 4-5 cycles per recharge.

Funny you mention that, my Father has a CPAP, and we have a CPAP cleaner by Respify, that is an OZONE generator. It cleans the hose and mask, etc., inside of a special bag to prevent the OZONE gas from getting out. It runs a 90 minute cycle. Well, last summer, curious me- ran a couple of cycles in the camper without the bag while we were away. It worked perfectly, and our mice were gone the next day. Now I've gotten a second one, just for this. $79 to buy, recharges on a USB cord, 4-5 cycles per recharge.
Can you put a link to the one you bought please?? Thanks 🙂

Back
Top Bottom