Moving from the boat to a MH, Lots of questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wasoki

One more newbie with questions...
Once the boat sells we anticipate purchasing a motorhome.  Anticipated use as of this time include 5-6 winter weeks in Florida and two or three shorter term (2 weeks each?) trips throughout the year.  Our short list of likely units includes Winnebago/Itasca 30T or 30a, Coachmen Mirada 32 ds or Encounter 34.  Questions I hope to find answers to include:
Towing a vehicle (Tow bar, dolly or ??)
How different will the plumbing / electrical systems be?
We are used to spending extended periods on a 38' sailboat, is the anticipated size doable?
What can experienced Winnebago / Coachmen owners tell me about the companies and these units in particular?
Are there any buying tips for getting the best deal?

Told you we had questions!

Our short list of likely units includes Winnebago/Itasca 30T or 30a, Coachmen Mirada 32 ds or Encounter 34.

I would choose the Winnebago/Itasca lines over any Coachman, anywhere at anytime. In my opinion, they are a better made coach, all around, and a better company to deal with if you need to do that.

Towing a vehicle (Tow bar, dolly or ??)
A tow bar (four-down or dinghy towing) is the most convenient. Alas, it is also the most expensive to set up.

We are used to spending extended periods on a 38' sailboat, is the anticipated size doable?
Tough to say. The usable space is probably comparable. The coach may even be a bit larger in elbow room. But the space in the boat was probably used for effectively. I'm guessing the coach may have a larger bath and master suite (but maybe not?), plus multiple slide-outs to expand the area when parked.  However, most motorhome owners quickly decide that bigger is better.

Are there any buying tips for getting the best deal?
Bargain like a Turk in a bazaar! And shop around (not just locally either).

You might also check in with John Canfield over in the Winnebago forum, he is a Moderator.  A few years ago  he did the very thing you are considering. I am sure John will have some good tips for you.  And BTW, Gary was right on!

I think you'll find that with the same length in a boat and a motorhome, the motorhome will seem larger, primarily because of the hull shape vs. the box shape.  Your refrigerator will be quite a bit larger in the motorhome.  ;D  The nicest change is not in the vehicle, but the ability to take it more places and not have to worry about tides and draft!  You will be going faster, however, so you'll get "there" a lot faster than on the water.  ;)

ArdraF

Whatever you do, don't jump up one morning and decide to paint the bottom. Systems are very, very similar. In fact you may see identical water and sewer pumps, fawcetts, etc. No more bonding system. No more zincs. There is no autohelm on the motorhome, so resist the urge to get up to take a leak while 'cruising'. You'll feel like 30' is much larger than 38' do to shape. The motorhome width is all the way forward.

Ken

[quote author=bucks2]Systems are very, very similar. In fact you may see identical water and sewer pumps, fawcetts ...[/quote]

To Ken's point, here's a prior discussion on the similarities and differences between marine and RV systems.

Back
Top Bottom