MPG...can this be right? Class C

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
F

flyhop

Found a 28.5' Catalina (Ford E350 Chassis, Ford V8 7.5L EFI) for sale.  Seems reasonable clean.  Fella claims 10-14 MPG. 

What do y'all think?  Could it really be that high? 

Thanks.

Neglected model/year.
This is a 1996 Coachman Catalina 285.

I think you already know the answer.?

Now all you have to ask is, what else is he lying about?

Yeah...OK...so I'm a little slow on the uptake.

It did take me over 30 minutes to figure this one out.  Finally found the fine print "two small leaks", and that explains a lot.

Movin' on.  And thanks.

I get 16 MPG at 55 on the level with my class c.
It is on a toyota truck. Minie winnie.
I just bought a 35 ft class a and hope to get 8 ?????
Will

I would love to brag about great gas mileage .... But I can't  ;) ;) ;)
So instead I brag about what a great Rig I have.  When I start worrying about gas mileage I'll start riding my bicycle everywhere  ;D

Because at the end of the day unless your running your rig on French Fry oil your probably getting bad fuel mileage. But thats not why we bought them is it. 
just my .02 worth

I know my HM is a lot older than most but i don't care if I get 7 or 10 miles to the gallon. I just laugh when people come up and ask what kind of milage i get. When i tell them they say is that all. When we part ways they go to a tent or something with no air no heat and or sleep on the ground. It's ok if there pickup only gets maybe five more mpg and they drive it every day. I drive my HM 2 or 3 times a month.

Possible some of those some rigs get that kind of mileage but I doubt it.  Years ago a friend of mine and I left his drivway and filled up. Drove the exact same distance and returned to the exact same place, his driveway.  We used the identical amount of gas but his mileage racked up 1.2 miles more than me.  Tells me one thing don't believe odometers. They and mileage seekers are like salesmen trying to sell you an RV.  Besides  If you're worried about mileage you can't afford an RV.  At least that's my opinion.

"Besides  If you're worried about mileage you can't afford an RV."

I am more conserned with miles per tank than miles per gallon. But with a 50 gallon tank, a one MPG improvemnet means you can go another fifty miles between fill ups.. That makes the MPG important too.

-Don-

DonTom said:
Besides? If you're worried about mileage you can't afford an RV

I don't worry but I do pay attention to my RV's mileage so that I CAN afford an RV. Besides, there are plenty of folks out there who have RVs so that they can travel short distances to the local state or county park. Maybe they can afford the RV but can't afford to go a long distance.

As a very recent RV owner, just bought an 89 Class C on a Ford 350 frame, much like the one mentioned in this post...mine is a bit smaller, it's 26'. Wondering what I should expect for gas mileage? I'm on a school teacher's salary and just wonder as far as planning my summer finances go...
thanks,
Zach
PS> Have just picked it up so don't have anything to go on.

ZACH
All I can tell you from my experience Is what i got with mine. I had a 87 ?  HR 27' on a ford chas with a 460. I didn't tow anything and on pretty flat roads . I would get 8-9 mpg. From what I hear is HR are a little heaver than most It also had twin axles  My class A with the same motor and 10' longer will get 6-7 mpg.

Zach, We had a 24' Coachman Class C, no toad, and usually got 7-8, as high as 10 when heading from Colorado downhill to Kansas, as low as 5 when fighting a headwind.

"We had a 24' Coachman Class C, no toad, and usually got 7-8, as high as 10 when heading from Colorado downhill to Kansas, as low as 5 when fighting a headwind."

That's about the same MPG my 1978 22' foot Class C (Chevy 400 CID) gets, but I never had a headwind long enough to get 5MPH while in a RV! But I have seen headwinds long enough to drop my MPG to less than half of the normal MPG while on a motorcycle!

Anyway, I am curious what year your rig is and if it has an O/D tranny, carb or fuel injection, size of engine, etc. 

What I am really curious about is in a new RV of the same size, would the MPG be much better than the 7-8.5 or so average?

-Don-

DonTom said:
I am curious what year your rig is and if it has an O/D tranny, carb or fuel injection, size of engine, etc.?

What I am really curious about is in a new RV of the same size, would the MPG be much better than the 7-8.5 or so average?

Our Class C was a 1987, 24-foot Coachman. More than that, you've gone beyond this mechancially inept gal's knowledge. Our 2004 Class A, 28-foot, gets 8-10 on average. I don't think RV manufacturers have gone out of their way to improve gas mileage.

Our Class C was a 1987, 24-foot Coachman. More than that, you've gone beyond this mechancially inept gal's knowledge. Our 2004 Class A, 28-foot, gets 8-10 on average. I don't think RV manufacturers have gone out of their way to improve gas mileage.

I would say that they improved the MPG quite a bit over the years considereing my 1978, 22 foot, 11,500 lb  Class C averages about  7.7  MPG and you average around 9.0, that's about 18% better in 20 years and means you can drive another hour on a full 50 gallon tank.

-Don-

DonTom said:

I would say that they improved the MPG quite a bit over the years considereing my 1978, 22 foot, 11,500 lb? Class C averages about? 7.7? MPG and you average around 9.0, that's about 18% better in 20 years and means you can drive another hour on a full 50 gallon tank.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?-Don-

Sorry, I think I confused you. The Class A averages 9 MPG. The 1987 Class C averaged about 7. Plus, I think a lot has to do with how you drive.

Wendy
Moab, Utah

Sorry, I think I confused you. The Class A averages 9 MPG.

IYO, why does the Class A get better MPG than your class C?

-Don-

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom