Mr, Rene, (Rainy) has some great news

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Rene and Bill, do not forget to go to your nearest military facility and get your ID card. At a 100% rating you are authorized to use the facilities at military bases; commissary, BX, Outdoor Recreation which includes FamCamps. You are authorized to fly Space A on military aircraft for free. You are authorized to use military resorts such as the Hale Koa and Bellows AFS in Hawaii. Many benefits are associated with your rating.

Huey and Rene, Thank you for your service and congrats on your 100%. It took me from 1979 when I retired with 30% until 2002 to get 100%. I got presumed cause from agent orange after arguing with the VA and Department of defense on the use of agent orange in Thailand. I controlled Ranch Hand as they sprayed up and down our runways at both Udorn Thani and Utapao Airfields. To all vets, don't give up, keep appealing.

Rene T said:
Agent Orange was also used in Korea so if you know anyone who served there and are having health issues, contact the VA.

That is where I got mine, mostly it is anyone that served on the DMZ. The was one case where a veteran showed proof of agent orange storage at Camp Casey so he also got it. I just got my 100% total and permanent recently, makes a big difference in life but would rather have my health back like it was.

Thank both of you for your service.  So glad you are finally getting some of what is owed you (nothing could completely repay for what you've sacrificed)

Shelia

gwcowgill said:
Huey and Rene, Thank you for your service and congrats on your 100%. It took me from 1979 when I retired with 30% until 2002 to get 100%. I got presumed cause from agent orange after arguing with the VA and Department of defense on the use of agent orange in Thailand. I controlled Ranch Hand as they sprayed up and down our runways at both Udorn Thani and Utapao Airfields. To all vets, don't give up, keep appealing.

I'm retired Air Force. When I got my disability for tinnitus they deducted my disability pay from my retirement pay. So now my income is the same as it was before I got the disability classification. The only difference is the disability amount isn't taxable.

Do you still get your retirement pay plus disability or do you get disability in lieu of retirement?

I am not retired military.  I did flight school, two tours in Nam and was out.  I was always inactive reserve because as an officer you are not discharged.  But I never came close to being qualified for military retirement and I never did any reserve meetings or duty.

I do have a military ID to shop at the PX and such.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
I'm retired Air Force. When I got my disability for tinnitus they deducted my disability pay from my retirement pay. So now my income is the same as it was before I got the disability classification. The only difference is the disability amount isn't taxable.

Do you still get your retirement pay plus disability or do you get disability in lieu of retirement?

If you are retired military and are awarded compensation from the VA at or above a 50% rating you will receive your full retirement and full disability check. You will receive two separate checks. It?s called concurrent receipt. If your VA rating is less than 50% your retirement check will be reduced by the amount of your VA disability compensation. The VA portion is not taxed.

Oldgator73 said:
If you are retired military and are awarded compensation from the VA at or above a 50% rating you will receive your full retirement and full disability check. You will receive two separate checks. It?s called concurrent receipt. If your VA rating is less than 50% your retirement check will be reduced by the amount of your VA disability compensation. The VA portion is not taxed.

Thanks Gator for clarifying that.

When you receive your disability letter each compensable injury/illness will be listed with a rating from 0%-100%. Do not get confused if you have more than one compensable item that seem to add up to 100% but you are rated at less than 100%. The VA uses the most serious injury/illness first. Say it is rated at 50%. If your next serious item is rated at 30% you cannot add 50+30 and get 80. The VA uses the 50% rating and then for the 30% they take 30% of 50 which is 16.9%. The VA rounds up or down so you would add 20% to the 50% and your disability rating would be 70%. Clear as mud. 0% is a rating. If you receive a 0% rating it can always be increased. If you are denied a rating it is much harder to get that fixed.

Our son was rated at 80%. He appealed and his rating appeared to be raised to 100%. But it was reclassified as 80% nonemployable. This rating pays him at the 100% level and can never be changed.

I am rated at 70%. I do not use the VA as my health provider. I get much better service using Medicare and Tricare for Life.

I'm sure you'd rather be 100% healthy Rene, however it is good to see you being cared for after participating in such a horrific war.  Hats off to you and everyone else who participated in protecting us.

Old_Crow said:
Wow!  I got the free VA hearing aids a couple of years ago, definitely also have the tinnitus, but never thought of filing for disability.  Time to do some research...an extra couple of hundred a month might come in handy for gas.

And free healthcare.  100%, no deductible, no premiums.

Back
Top Bottom