MRE's (emergency RV backup food)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DonTom

I ordered a box of these and I received them today when I was very hungry, so I decided to try one right away. I found everything in it to be delicious. No way could I eat everything in one meal, even though I was quite hungry when I started on it. There is a lot in one meal! I guess there should be, considering they cost more than $14.00 per meal. That's the same price as two gallons of 87 octane gasoline in many parts of California!:)

The box says it was packed on 07/14/2020. And I assume they should be good until past 07/2023 as that is the "Insp/Test" date (whatever that means). However, there is a pack of M & M's included, and it says "best before 03/2021". More than a year ago! But even those were as good as fresh, I could notice no problem with the old pack I already ate today.

Each pack comes with all different stuff, but I am fairly sure I will like them all. At room temperature MRE's will last for several years. Less if stored warmer. Even longer if stored cooler.

Anyway, these are great for hiking trips and for spare RV food. But too heavy and large for a backpacking trip.

In the RV, (or home) I simply put the main meat meal in boiling water for a couple of minutes and it's ready. On a hike, there is a dry solid thingy included in each meal that will cause cold water to boil hot instantly. The unopened meat meal goes in that. Becomes quite hot in a few minutes. Those are good to bring on a long hike and then can stop anywhere for a fast quick hot meal.

In the photo below, the editable stuff is on top of the glass table. On the floor below the inedible stuff such as the chemical water heater, spoon, napkins, etc. This is all the stuff in one meal.

I will order another box and keep a box in each RV. I wanted to try one of these newer style MREs first. They have changed a lot over the years. I would say for the better, going by the one I had for lunch today. More than enough for a meal. But it's easy to save parts of this for the next meal, as everything is packed separately in each single meal package.

When the color of the pack is like the two to the right of the M & Ms, it means those need to be heated. The rest of the stuff is never heated, ate straight from the packages.

-Don- Reno, NVMREs.JPG

I have carried MREs in both the RV and all the cars. I gave some to Renae's kids for their cars as they live in Minnesota and I thought that if they got struck in the snow that they might be glad that they had them in the trunk.

Several years ago at Quartzsite we opened a few bags at the Happy Hour campfire.

They found them interesting.

They were the newer type in a brown plastic bag.

Last year I got a case of these shown below. They are probably not nearly as good but they are designed for providing food for a longer period.

Attachments

• 20220423_232307.jpg
    20220423_232307.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220423_232402.jpg
    20220423_232402.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220423_232419 (1).jpg
    20220423_232419 (1).jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 11
I would not willingly eat MRE’s again. I don’t know about the new version but the meals we were forced to purchase were loaded with vitamins and designed to stop you up so there was minimal latrine time.

Right at the beginning of the covid lockdown and shortages my kid was working in an army surplus store. I bought like 72 meals for like $700. I only ate like 1 or two to sample them.

I have the rest around somewhere.

When camping I used to buy Mountain House stuff. I love the biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs and breakfast skillet. Nice and quick for breakfast and no cleanup. Didn't really care much for any of their main entrees.

Considering how fast food prices are going up getting 72 meals for $700 may be a bargain in a couple of years! You may be able to trade them for gold coins.

When camping I used to buy Mountain House stuff.
Same here, for backpacking trips and I also keep a few of those in my RVs. IMO, the Mountain House are the most tasty of the freeze dried meals. But I usually also have a few other brands..

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
They were the newer type in a brown plastic bag.
I never saw that type before. Are those military? My box says "U. S. Government property commercial resale is unlawful". So I wonder how that works, since I purchased them from Amazon.

I know there are many non-military MRE's, made for civilians, and I have found those not to be nearly as good.

But before yesterday, it's been years since I had a MRE and they have changed quite a bit since my last one.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
When we lived in Utah, part of standard earthquake preparedness was to have a week’s worth of food and water available. As experienced wilderness canoers, we had stoves, water purification filters, etc. One thing we did buy was a 3 day set of 4 person meals from Mountain House, just for back up. I have eaten a number of Mountain House meals in the past, and while some aren’t as good as others, they will all serve just fine if you are hungry enough. Note for 2 people you really need what Mountain House calls 4 person packs. Given our situation with available fuel and stoves, we didn’t need the self-heating ability of the MREs. We would bring a couple of the Mountain House meals in an emergency pack along with a stove, fuel, and water when traveling by car in the winter. Always good to plan on “what if”.

Note for 2 people you really need what Mountain House calls 4 person packs.
They always divide by at least two. I think what they are doing, is trying to make the sodium per serving look not that bad as it's in ridiculous numbers when it's enough for one person. One meal will be over the RDA in some cases and many are having three such meals per day.

But if you sweat enough during a backing trip it's probably not that much of an issue for a week or so.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
We mostly humped with C’s, but got MRE’s on several mountain missions. They were a refreshing change. Of course anything would have been.

Those old ones from the Viet Nam period came in small boxes, ( like the one above), as part of a larger cardboard case.

The cookies were very filling and some of the small packets included things like gum and even cigarettes.

We mostly humped with C’s, but got MRE’s on several mountain missions. They were a refreshing change. Of course anything would have been.
We occasionally got the freeze-dried LRRP meals. Those were good, IMO. I wouldn't mind having those for a backpacking trip. But I don't recall ever seeing those available for civilians. IMO, they were even a lot better than the Mtn. House meals.

The LRRP meals were in canvas packaging.

Looks like here they removed one of the R's (Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol).

Look what I just found!

-Don- Reno, NV

The cookies were very filling and some of the small packets included things like gum and even cigarettes.
Did you ever have to eat the C-rats? That was my main meal, three times per day for a year, with only rare exceptions.

I don't recall any cookies at all. What type of cookie was it?

There were slight differences depending of the year of the case.
There were at least two different cases, one with a much older date on
the case (195?). The more common case (when I served <September
1969-1970> had a date in the 60's on the case). But I think there were
10 meals in a case of 12 (I think two were repeated).

Ham and Lima Bean AKA "Mothas" (inedible) <older case only>?
Ham and Eggs (inedible)
beef steak (inedible)
Beef Slices with potatoes (edible)
beans and franks (edible)
pork slices (inedible)
turkey loaf (edible) *OR*
Boned Chicken (edible)
spaghetti with meatballs (inedible)
Chicken and noodles (edible)
Beans with Meatballs (edible)

Peaches (edible)
pears (edible)
apricots (edible)
fruit cocktail (edible)
pineapple chunks (edible)

pound cake (edible)
fruit cake (inedible)
pecan cake (edible)

Hot Chocolate.
bread pudding
white bread in a can.
green lucky strikes
peanut butter / jelly / cheese in cans with crackers
Old Gold, Pall Mall, Camel or Salem cigarettes.
matches
chicklets
Sh*t paper
instant coffee
chocolate disks wrapped in tin foil.
chocolate covered coconut candy (edible)

If anybody can add to or correct this list, please post me a
message here.

-Don- Reno, NV

Back
Top Bottom