MS Free Antispyware beta Software

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron,

After doing a Google search, I found it at the Microsoft Anti Spyware Site

I dnloaded, installed and ran it...all clean.? ?Earlier I ran SpyBot and AdAware.? Did you subscribe to the real time community?? I did not for the time being.

Thank you for the tip!

At the present time I have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of the Beta MS Antispyware.

I have installed it on five computers do far, four of which were clean.  However the fifth, belonging to a friend, naive about computer maintenance and web threats, was reported to have over 15,000 signatures related to spyware.  At the conclusion of the scan, I proceeded to remove the malicious files and the software reported all malicious files were indeed removed.

On completing a scan of Norton Anti Virus, I was surprised to see three malicious spyware files being reported, files that had been reported by the previous scan of MS Antispyware.

I repeated the MS scan and the same three files were reported again, and the remove function reported they were again deleted.  Another scan, another report of their existence.

It is my understanding the removal of some spyware software is much more complex than deleting files, because of registry entries, but this kind of operation is beyond my expertise.

I have read other reports of faulty behaviour with this product.

What has been your experience?

Steve said:
At the present time I have mixed feelings about the effectiveness of the Beta MS Antispyware.

I have installed it on five computers do far, four of which were clean.? However the fifth, belonging to a friend, naive about computer maintenance and web threats, was reported to have over 15,000 signatures related to spyware.? At the conclusion of the scan, I proceeded to remove the malicious files and the software reported all malicious files were indeed removed.

On completing a scan of Norton Anti Virus, I was surprised to see three malicious spyware files being reported, files that had been reported by the previous scan of MS Antispyware.

I repeated the MS scan and the same three files were reported again, and the remove function reported they were again deleted.? Another scan, another report of their existence.

It is my understanding the removal of some spyware software is much more complex than deleting files, because of registry entries, but this kind of operation is beyond my expertise.

I have read other reports of faulty behaviour with this product.

What has been your experience?

I have been using MS antispyware beta since shortly after it became available.  I have been very satisfied with its performance so far.  But then I have and still also use Adaware and Spybot.  I don't think ther is a perfect antispyware SW available yet I thing the MS one does rate near the top.

As for the condition you mentioned  I think I would disable system restore run the antispyware again and let it run the removal.  then reactivate system restore.  I highly recommend backing up the hard drive before doing this.

Let us know how you make our.

Please keep in mind the the MS Antispyware program is a BETA.  As such, it is expected to have bugs.  It is not recommended to run beta software on production computers and in any case, the user runs beta software at their own risk.  There is a set of MS newsgroups devoted to the MSAS beta program where bugs and other comments on the software can be posted.

No one program will find all malware on a computer.  None check for everything, i.e. MSAS does not scan cookies, while Adaware does, sometimes too vehemently.  So run multiple scanners and hope that the combination finds all the bad stuff, but keep in mind that the anti-malware authors are always in reactive mode.  So keep the definitions up to date and hope the latest worm or virus doesn't get you before you get it.

Important Update for MS Anti Spyware Expiration July 31, 2005

Announcement by Microsoft:

Beta 1 Versions

Since releasing Windows AntiSpyware (Beta) on January 6, 2005 (Build 1.0.501), we have continued to receive feedback from customers. We introduced a first beta refresh on February 16, 2005 (Build 1.0.509) which enhanced some of the real-time protection agents, added new threat categories, and improved stability and performance.

In this second beta refresh (Build 1.0.614), we?ve made other enhancements to the detection and removal capabilities, including improved Winsock LSP removal capabilities and support for long descriptions of categorized software. In addition, we have also extended the Windows AntiSpyware beta expiration date to December 31, 2005.

Existing users of the beta (Builds 1.0.501 and 1.0.509) will receive a software update that extends the expiration date and includes the enhancements to the detection and removal capabilities. The second beta refresh is also available for download through this site.

Go to source: Download details: Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)

Steve said:

Steve,

If DSO Exploit is one of the offending files forget about removing it. It keeps coming back. I ran into that one when Ned and I installed SpyBot on my laptop. It's been several months and it is always there!  :mad:

Jim,

I have not seen reference to DSO Exploit.  Are you saying it's a spyware that was installed when you installed Spybot?

Some of these files need very complex removal procedures, and many of these procedures are described on the Norton Anti Virus site.

Ron,

I'll be looking forward to learning more about Jim's experience.  I run Spybot and Adaware in addition to the MS anti Spyware and have not seen a reference to DSO Exploit.

The most sinister spyware I have seen to date was in a friend's computer from an outfit called Gain.  Just could not get it out!

Steve,

I have no idea from where it came. It was there when we ran SpyBot the first time. Ned seemed to think Windows kept putting it back in. Perhaps he'll recall the incident. Whatever the case, it's there and cannot be removed. Doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

DSO Exploit can be ignored IF you have the latest IE and the latest Windows security updates.  Do get rid of it, see http://www.pchell.com/support/dsoexploit.shtml for instructions.  See also

http://ask-leo.com/whats_a_dso_exploit_and_how_do_i_get_rid_of_it.html

where it claims the latest Spybot S&D will remove it.

Ned,

I'll have to look at that site. So far it has not caused any problems of which I am aware.

Just looked up the site. It refers to IE and Windows updates. Does that mean it has no effect on Firefox?

Jim Dick said:
Just looked up the site. It refers to IE and Windows updates. Does that mean it has no effect on Firefox?

Firefox is immune to DSO Exploit.  It only affects IE, OE, and Outlook.  It relies on an ActiveX control and Firefox doesn't recognize or execute ActiveX controls.  If you use Firefox and Thunderbire, you're safe.  Even if you use IE or OE or Outlook, as long as you have applied the latest security updates for Windows, you're also safe.

Thanks, Ned. Another reason to use Firefox!!! :) I have the latest IE, which I don't use often, and Windows updates so I guess I won't worry about DSO Exploit.

Back
Top Bottom