Mt. McKinley by Air

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lorna

This morning Ned and I took a trip to Mt. McKinley on Talkeetna Aero Services which was absolutely fantastic.? The weather was good and very clear but a little windy which included a few bumps out and back.? Once we were above 10,000 ft. the flight smoothed out and the views were great.? The pilot took us around McKinley both ways so all could get wonderful pictures.? We saw 14 camp with climbers heading for 17 camp, however, there was no activity from 17 camp probably because of wind.? There was fresh snow up there and no tracks heading to the summit.? We saw about a half dozen glaciers and three of them near McKinley that came together to form one.? The base of McKinley starts at 2000 ft and rises vertical to 20,500 which makes the assent much greater than Mt. Everest where the base starts at 17,000 ft. and rises to 29,000 ft.? This was truly an awesome adventure and highly recommend it to anyone coming to Denali NP.

Attachments

• Mt. McKinley Air Tour 008.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 008.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 009.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 009.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 42
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 017.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 017.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 029.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 029.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 44
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 035.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 035.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 038.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 038.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 052.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 052.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 43
Here are a couple of additional photos.

Attachments

• Mt. McKinley Air Tour 072.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 072.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 073.jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 073.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 39
Great photos Lorna, thanks. I'll have to add that trip to our itinerary.

With the Tour Saver book, it's 2 for 1, a real bargain.

Ned:

Great weather for aerial sightseeing!

Hope you continue to have a great trip.

We were very fortunate to go on a day when the weather was as clear as it was.  So often, McKinley is shrouded in clouds.  You'll enjoy this, the pilot was envious of one of the other flight services because they flew a Shrike Commander.  It really gets off of that short field, better than the Navajo.  But when the pilot mentioned it to another pilot while we were flying, it was pointed out that the last seat doesn't have any windows, not too good for sightseeing :)

It would have been nice if they furnished cinnamon buns before the flight, just for Jim :)

Ned and Lorna:

All I can think of to say is WOW!!!  Thanks for sharing those photos! 

I've been checking Ned's website almost daily and reading all the messages you, Betty and Russ are posting on the forum.  I'm enjoying this trip vicariously with you all and loving every minute.  It brings back such memories of our 2000 trip, but I have to admit you guys are much more adventuresome and thorough than we were with the tourist activities.  Just makes us enjoy your posts even more. :)

I'm missing bugging Russell about sticking to his diet, but trusting Lorna and Betty are picking up the slack on that score.  He looks downright slim and handsome in the photos!  Keep up the good work, Russ!  I'll be reporting your good progress to Dr. R on 7/11.

Margi

You fine people are doing justice for those of us back in the heat of Arizona.  After looking at the scenery there, I've cooled down from the 108 Temps here. Thanks to all of you.

Lorna said:
This morning Ned and I took a trip to Mt. McKinley on Talkeetna Aero Services which was absolutely fantastic.?

Lorna,

Whooo hoooo what a ride!  We are scheduled for tomorrow and hope our weather is as good as yours.  Photos are fantastic.  Whoooo hoooooooooo

Betty

Tom and Margi said:
? It brings back such memories of our 2000 trip, but I have to admit you guys are much more adventuresome and thorough than we were with the tourist activities.?

Margi,

This comment from one who picked apples for a summer, Sells Sees candy , camp hosts at very remote places, makes leather purses and does amusement park rides.  You guys are my heroes.  Alaska is really truly a frontier isn't it? Those who have gone before  have served to whet the appetite of those of us who follow. Speaking of appetite, I'm not sure what influence I have been on Russ.  I do make him walk however, evidenced by our shopping sprees!

Betty

Margi

Does that mean you and Tom may have to come back here and maybe do some workcamping so that you can be more adventuresome.  Although I have to agree with Betty that you two have done some pretty adventuresome things in the past five or six years.

Betty and Lorna:

Our Adventureland "adventure" today consists of surviving 94 degree heat with thunderstorms while smiling pretty at the guests. ;)  No wonder those McKinley photos look so inviting to me.  ::)  Keep 'em coming!

Margi

Margi

Hope you can survive the heat.  At breakfast in Healy this morning we heard that Delta Junction, which is about 50 miles away, as the crow flies, had snow lots of it.  The lady didn't know how much exactly.  Healy is about 10 miles north of where we are staying at Denali.  It is cool and windy here today but is suppose to get up into the 70's over the weekend and next week.  Tomorrow I am going on the shuttle bus up to Wonder Lake, which is 5 miles short of the end of the road, in the park so hope it is warmer and not so windy.  On Monday Ned and I are taking a tour to mile 53 in the park.  The difference between the shuttle and a tour is that the tour has a guide and the shuttle doesn't, also the cost.

Jim

Thanks for the warning and I will take the spray.  So far on this trip we have not been bothered by too many mosquitos, but there is always a first time.  It has been windy and cool so they haven't been around this campground at all.  Hopefully all the bad wind and weather today blew them all away!!!! sure.

Lorna: 

I took a copy of your photos of McKinley #72 & #73 to adjust slightly.  They are wonderful shots, but I like them better with the adjustments

Attachments

• Mt. McKinley Air Tour 073 (Small).jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 073 (Small).jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Mt. McKinley Air Tour 072 (Small).jpg
    Mt. McKinley Air Tour 072 (Small).jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 28
We haven't done any post-processing of any of our photos, yet.  These certainly can be improved by an increase in contrast.

Ron

Thanks for the change because it sure did improve those two pictures.  I just returned from an eleven hr. bus trip into Denali and was able to get one shot of McKinley but there was too much cloud cover to get a good one.  Ned and I will be going out on a tour bus on Monday but only to mile 53 and don't know whether we will be able to see it.  I was able to get some really nice pics today and will post a few later.  It was a very long day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom