Mud Flaps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueD

We need to replace the mud flap on our motorhome.  An alligator on the interstate did damage to the one we had. Couldn't avoid it and ran right over it.  It was stopped by the mudflap and spun out to the side.  Did some damage to the wiring (right turn signal on toad doesn't work).  Husband would like imput as to what type to get.  A solid one (Ultra-Guard - kind we had) or the type that look like rubber strips.  Or, maybe none at all?? Pros or cons.  Appreciate any imput. 

Hi Sue,

Well, you obviously have seen the advantage of having the mud flap. :) I would replace it with a solid flap, not the strips. That won't stop much of anything.

I had a similar situation with our other coach where a hunk of framing was in the center of the road. I couldn't move to either side to avoid it so tried to straddle as best I could. Apparently the inner dual must have caught it and threw it into the flap. It bent a 1/2 thick piece of steel on the inside of the flap and cut a slit in the top. The good news was it was stopped from hitting the toad radiator. Just some minor damage to the fiberglass near the coach bumper.

I have the ultra guard on my current coach. Wouldn't be without!

I lost an Ultraguard to a road alligator several years ago, and decided to replace it with another UltraGuard. ?The second one was mounted on a piece of angle iron which is bolted across the back of the coach.

The bottom edge of the rubber is reinforced with a piece of flat iron.

I feel a solid piece of rubber. like Ultraguard provides better protection of the toad and rear of the coach than the strips and IMO looks better aesthetically. ?Some people use chain links hang the Ultraguard or other rubber protector, allowing the rubber to swing easier and less likely to twist and bend when the coach is being leveled.

Sue,

I have used all 3 kinds, brush, straps and solid.  We decided with this MH to no have any at all.  I do have a protective shield mounted on my tow bar in front of the towed which works for me.  We have towed the Jeep for 4 years now with only a few dings, mostly from on coming traffic and on the side or the car.

We had UltraGuard on our last m/h but also used Roadmaster's Guardian. When we traded coaches two years ago did not replace the Ultraguard and still have no dings.

Back
Top Bottom