Muffler Rubber Hangers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
For those of you who have not checked your mounting hangers for your muffler in some time I would suggest you do so. Went to the shop yesterday to address a couple of issues with the coach before we depart on Sunday and we found BOTH rubber mounts had broken and the only thing holding the muffler in place was the rear dirt skirt since it goes through near the top. That could have been a nasty experience if it had fallen off on the road. Lucky I was at the shop since I had to use a floor jack to move it back into position to attach the new mounts.

Jim,

I reported the same thing about two years or so ago.  Found the rubber hangers had broken.  I wrapped plumbers tape around all the rubber mounts length wise until I could get new hangers.  Worked so well I put the plumbers tape workarounds on the new hangers when I installed them.  Like you said could mess things up if thew muffler dropped.

You know Ron, plumber's tape sounds like something that should be in my toolbox. It could hold most things "up" until a permanent repair could be effected.

Tom said:
You know Ron, plumber's tape sounds like something that should be in my toolbox. It could hold most things "up" until a permanent repair could be effected.

Can be pretty handy when you need it.  I carry some in my tool box.

Ron said:
Jim,

I reported the same thing about two years or so ago.  Found the rubber hangers had broken.  I wrapped plumbers tape around all the rubber mounts length wise until I could get new hangers.  Worked so well I put the plumbers tape workarounds on the new hangers when I installed them.  Like you said could mess things up if thew muffler dropped.

Ron,

I must have missed your message. :) Now I need to crawl under there again and check the rubber parts on the ride height valves. Of course, I figure I won't have any problems because you gave me a spare. ;D  I also just changed the mounts on the genset exhaust. They were in pretty bad shape as well.

I don't have plumbers tape but I do have stainless steel lashing wire used by telcos to tie up those big cables. Works great but isn't pretty.

A general rule, espically with Motor Homes with enough ground clearance (or pick up trucks) is to do a good crawl around from time to time, (I would say start and end of season at the very least, more often if you feel up (or down) to it)

J.C.Whitney (logical url) has a heavy duty crawler that has BIG wheels that is supposed to

1: Hold 300 plus pound ME and 2: Roll around on gravel as well as smooth surfaces

I don't know how well it does that but I do know what 3 on the list is:  3: Flatten your pocket

John,

I have crawled around under the coach several times but it's usually to look at certain items and CRS prevents me from looking at all of them. :) I usually use a tarp since I'm on stone a lot. That's why I took it to the shop where they have pavement and a creeper. ;D

Jim attached is a photo of the plumbers tape installation over the muffler mounts.  I made the straps to beef up the bad rubber mounts and just figured it wouldn't hurt to put it on the new mounts.  I have been inspecting these, along with other items, while in Az and while in Mt.  They seemed to go bad between looksees.

Attachments

• Plumbers tape over Muf mounts (Large).JPG
    Plumbers tape over Muf mounts (Large).JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 35
Jim Dick said:
John,

I have crawled around under the coach several times but it's usually to look at certain items and CRS prevents me from looking at all of them. :) I usually use a tarp since I'm on stone a lot. That's why I took it to the shop where they have pavement and a creeper. ;D

I know, I use a tarp as well (Tarp and a pad if I'm going to be in one spot long)  and like you can't seem to remember everything and always have to go back to check something I forgot.

John In Detroit said:
I know, I use a tarp as well (Tarp and a pad if I'm going to be in one spot long)  and like you can't seem to remember everything and always have to go back to check something I forgot.

John,

I'm happy to hear I'm not the only one!! ;D

I use a rigid teflon(?) sheet I picked up somewhere.  I think it is called a "Cheaper Creeper" and works very well.  It stores behind the couch in our Dutch Star nicely and is east to get at that way.  Just toss it on the ground and slide yourself around on it.

--Steve

rovinsteve said:
I use a rigid teflon(?) sheet I picked up somewhere.  I think it is called a "Cheaper Creeper" and works very well.  It stores behind the couch in our Dutch Star nicely and is east to get at that way.  Just toss it on the ground and slide yourself around on it.

--Steve

Steve,

I'll have to check that out. Sounds better than trying to find carboard to use. Of course cardboard is quite comfortable. ;D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom