Murphy's Law

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mercoupe50

For those who remember and for the benefit of those that don't.  I took my MH to Forest City to get some items fixed that the local dealer couldn't fix.  A few items didn't get fixed in Forest City so Winnebago suggested I take it to a dealer in Northern WA state 300 miles away.  The coach has been there over a month with two items remaining unfixed.  I received a call yesterday that an employee backed into the rear of the MH and caused fiberglass damage.  Will it ever end?

RLSharp said:
What kind of problems could not be fixed by the Winnebago factory in Forest City.  :eek:

R

Probably only a question of time available at the moment, not their ability to fix them.

Murphy at its best!!! (not a good thing though!)

Alfa38User said:
Murphy at its best!!! (not a good thing though!)

This year it has been Schwartz's law for me - two on the road, needing tow breakdowns.

Schwartz's Law: "Murphy was an optimist . . . "  :(

There must have been some sort of timing issue. My choice would have been to stay there until all items were fixed. My belief is that there is no place better than the factory for service. Not trying to start an argument but just my two cents worth.

David...

I have been following the trials and tribulations of your attempts to get your RV's problems fixed. REALLY sorry to hear about the latest damage. I can only imagine how discouraged you must be. Hope they get it fixed properly and quickly.

Kev

mercoupe50 said:
For those who remember and for the benefit of those that don't.  I took my MH to Forest City to get some items fixed that the local dealer couldn't fix.  A few items didn't get fixed in Forest City so Winnebago suggested I take it to a dealer in Northern WA state 300 miles away.  The coach has been there over a month with two items remaining unfixed.  I received a call yesterday that an employee backed into the rear of the MH and caused fiberglass damage.  Will it ever end?

Who is the Dealer? Roy Robinson or Poulsbo?

Sorry to hear about your problems David.

Sounds like "Murphy's Law" was initiated by someone who had reached their "Peter Principle".

Roy Robinson is the dealer.  They did however fix the door seal problem.  It closes almost flush now and takes very little effort to close the door.  They had to take off the frame, reposition and reset the door.  A task that Forest City didn't want to take on.

I have a few issues that I don't want my dealer to tackle. Disturbers me that Winnebago may send me back to them.

From what I'm reading I wonder if Forest City is getting picky about what they will do for the customer.  I know the economy must have some effect on their service but when you cut down on customer care you also cut down on sales.  A few years ago when I was there getting some work done I asked them to adjust the main slide so it wouldn't be dragging on the carpet so bad.  All I got was the statement that the outside trim all lined up so it must be adjusted correct.  I didn't care what the outside did just get the inside correct but by the time they got around to this it was the last work day of the week and I would have had to stay over the weekend to get anything more done, if at all.

Winnebago's sales volume and employees are half of what they were six years ago.  All of the fixed costs however are still in tact so they are hurting financially.  They need to get the manufacturing facility into the 21st century.  I don't mean an investment in capital equipment but I do mean a drastic change in process.  They must capitalize on Quality processes and techniques that drove the auto industry in order to compete in world markets albeit almost a bit too late.  Winnebago spends an enormous amount on warranty repairs and in-process rework.  Being from a 45 year career in manufacturing, I KNOW that it works.  My bottom line increased by 260% in the first year after implementing TQC/TQM/SPC etc.  I would estimate, after touring their factory and observing warranty repairs at dealers and the factory, that they could increase their bottom line by several hundred percent.  I know if they have a negative bottom line percentages are not relevant so what I am trying to say is that their savings to Cost of Sales is HUGE.  They would also become an industry leader due to their being able to build and ship a quality product. 

A special message to Randy Potts.  Hire a veteran VP of Manufacturing that knows how to implement all of the state-of-the-art manufacturing quality control techniques.  He/she need not be from the RV Industry. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom