My continuing Dish issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedT

Have fought the issue of the system locking on to the western arc satellites. I am using a Dish Tailgater antenna and a Wally receiver. Have rewired the coach (no switches, etc) direct from the rear port to the receiver. Have tried connecting directly from the antenna to the receiver, moving antenna, etc, etc. My question is: which device has the antenna controller? Wally or antenna? I am convinced my problem is either the antenna or the receiver.
For example, the TV was on channel 205, HD, full screen. In preparation for a short drive,I turned off the TV - NOT the Wally and departed.
Returned after a couple hours, turned system on, channel 205 in SD. Antenna sees the bird at 119°. Nothing moved.
Antenna problem?
Receiver issue?

Have fought the issue of the system locking on to the western arc satellites. I am using a Dish Tailgater antenna and a Wally receiver. Have rewired the coach (no switches, etc) direct from the rear port to the receiver. Have tried connecting directly from the antenna to the receiver, moving antenna, etc, etc. My question is: which device has the antenna controller? Wally or antenna? I am convinced my problem is either the antenna or the receiver.
For example, the TV was on channel 205, HD, full screen. In preparation for a short drive,I turned off the TV - NOT the Wally and departed.
Returned after a couple hours, turned system on, channel 205 in SD. Antenna sees the bird at 119°. Nothing moved.
Antenna problem?
Receiver issue?
RedT,
I suggest you call DISH @ 1 (800) 333-3474 with your user name and account number and ask your questions.

Last edited:
Antenna problem?
Receiver issue?
If you moved the rig, even if you returned to the same parking spot(such as taking the rig to dump and then retuning to the same campsite), you may have to run through the setup procedure again.

Most any movement of the antenna will require re-pointing setup. With the wally I have found you may have to trigger setup several times before lock on. My old 211 works better than the wally during setup.

Cheers!

As said, any movement at all calls for a complete new setup. The Tailgater has the mechanics to move the dish and the Wally has the brain that tells it where to move to.

Yep, understand the several responses about moving the vehicle and/or antenna. That was not a part of my problem statement. As for "the brain that tells where to move to" I've now been told both - Wally and Tailgater. Too bad Dish network does not answer questions other than unplug the Wally, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in, or connect the coaxial cable directly from the antenna to the Wally.
Seems to be a fairly uncomplicated system, yet it doesn't work well according to my experiences and several other user responses.

Call King Controls. I had a Tailgater fail within the first 6 months I had it. Called Dish and they ran me through the same troubleshooting as you, determined that nothing was wrong with the receiver and told me to call King(who is the manufacturer of the Tailgater antenna). Was on the phone with their tech for like 5 minutes and he told me he'd ship me a new one. That was almost 5 years ago and I've not had another problem.
Maybe the problem is with the Tailgater and not the Wally.

Tailgater has a pretty small dish. I always had trouble with it.
Sold it, bought a Pathway X2 and it cut problems in half.
If your setup isn't level it can take a l o n g time to lock on the sat.
I level the stand, mount the Pathway, run a direct line to the receiver, and let it cook.
I usually get the same stuff as home, sometimes it just doesn't or cannot get both sats.
Refurbed 211 for cheap, the stand and Pathway, and added the receiver to my home bill for 5 a month.
The dishes are dumb. Open one up. Two motors, the dish, and connector to the cable jack. All the magic resides in the receiver.

Thanks for info, Carbonation. Have received similar info on Pathway X2, seems like the way to go for me.

Call King Controls. I had a Tailgater fail within the first 6 months I had it. Called Dish and they ran me through the same troubleshooting as you, determined that nothing was wrong with the receiver and told me to call King(who is the manufacturer of the Tailgater antenna). Was on the phone with their tech for like 5 minutes and he told me he'd ship me a new one. That was almost 5 years ago and I've not had another problem.
Maybe the problem is with the Tailgater and not the Wally.

2x on this. I had an issue with my King dish and it was a 5 minute fix (one of the gears came out of place and I was able to snap it back in).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom