My Dakota Address is closing it's doors effective July 31, 2018. **UPDATED INFO*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think that it was directly her fault, but I do believe that she had to know what was on the horizon. I like Terri, have been a customer for over 10 years. But to find out 2 days before the shop closes that my mail service is out of business is unacceptable.  10 years should get you more consideration than that.

NY_Dutch said:
Keep in mind, Terri answers to Jon Knuths, so I'd think he would be the one telling her what information to disseminate and when.

It's my understanding that mail forwarding services have an obligation under USPS regulations to provide mail forwarding for 6 months after a termination (at the client's expense) unless that right has been previously waived by the customer.  The fact that there's been no mention of this makes me think that Knuths may not have shut the doors voluntarily.

docj said:
It's my understanding that mail forwarding services have an obligation under USPS regulations to provide mail forwarding for 6 months after a termination (at the client's expense) unless that right has been previously waived by the customer.  The fact that there's been no mention of this makes me think that Knuths may not have shut the doors voluntarily.

Well, as I posted earlier, I have seen one mention so far, of the SD tax folks shutting them down. I haven't seen anything to verify that though.

Sun2Retire said:
I had a fully paid up account with America's Mailbox which I cancelled and requested my money back (which they honored) due to their inflexibility with regard to certified mail. They claimed some special arrangement with the PO which required them to handle it in the manner they do, notwithstanding the fact that no other mail handler dealt with it in that fashion. Actually spoke to one of the owners and she stood by their policy. Cancelled and went to Your Best Address and their immediate response was, "no problem!"

What was the inflexibility? My mail forwarder will not sign for Certified Mail. You have to go to the local post office there instead to get it.

America?s Mailbox insisted they had to sign for all certified mail, no exceptions. Spoke directly to one of the owners.

mileena said:
What was the inflexibility? My mail forwarder will not sign for Certified Mail. You have to go to the local post office there instead to get it.

On the USPS mail forwarding form there's a poorly marked box on the right side that relates to "restricted" mail items.  The form doesn't clearly state that you need to sign in that box in addition to signing at the bottom of the form.  If you don't sign in that box, the mail forwarder can't deal with things such as signature-required certified mail.  When you completed the form you may not have signed in that box.

docj said:
On the USPS mail forwarding form there's a poorly marked box on the right side that relates to "restricted" mail items.  The form doesn't clearly state that you need to sign in that box in addition to signing at the bottom of the form.  If you don't sign in that box, the mail forwarder can't deal with things such as signature-required certified mail.  When you completed the form you may not have signed in that box.

No, that wasn't it. I specifically didn't sign the section granting blanket permission to accept and sign for certified mail, and they told me they would have to reject my application (I had already sent the check). I told them I didn't want to give them blanket permission, and they gave me some baloney story about how they had some sort of special permission granted by the PO to accept applications without a notary (or something along those lines) and because of that they had to accept all certified mail. I insisted on talking to the owner, which I did, and was given the same story. They said I always had the option of, after they had already accepted the mail, to not have them send it to me. I explained what a problem that would create because legally I would have accepted it. The whole thing didn't pass the smell test and I'm convinced it's just easier for them to accept everything, so they made up the whole, "the PO is forcing us to do this" story.

I then called both Your Best Address and Dakota Post, and both said they had no problem either accepting or not accepting certified mail, which in my mind confirms that the AM story is hogwash.

I wasn't, and aren't, expecting any certified mail, but I didn't want to relinquish the right to reject it if some was received. I ended up going with YBA simply because they got back to me first and they had the services I needed at about the same price as DP.

NY_Dutch said:
The Escapees mail service in Livingston, TX is reportedly the largest in the country with ~15,000 clients and it's own ZIP Code. For SD, they use a unique dual address setup where you use an SD address for official mail requiring an SD address, and a TX address for all other mail. The SD mail is forwarded on to the TX address for distribution along with the other regular mail. Escapees membership is required to use the service...

https://www.escapees.com/mail-service/how-escapees-mail-forwarding-service-works/

Saw in Escapees Forum that the SD address is in Box Elder, SD. I hope it's not America's-Mailbox that is doing this work for Escapees. Have seen bad reviews of that MF operation. IMO, owner seems like a carnival barker, snake oil salesman, etc. Will have to call Escapees about how this back and forth stuff works. And the SD address.

Sun2Retire said:
America?s Mailbox insisted they had to sign for all certified mail, no exceptions. Spoke directly to one of the owners.

Well I guess I won't be using them then, lol! Sometimes I want Certified Mail returned to sender with me not accepting it.

docj said:

Thank you.

I found out it is actually against Federal law for a mail forwarder to sign for your Ceritifed or Signature-Required USPS mail. You need to go to the lreceiving post office in person. My mail forwarder left everyone a notice in their boxes last year that we all had to sign:

Attachments

• 20170612_120813-edited-reduced-2-marked.jpg
    20170612_120813-edited-reduced-2-marked.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 14
Sun2Retire said:
they had some sort of special permission granted by the PO to accept applications without a notary

In my research a few months ago, I learned My Dakota Address in Madison was the only mail forwarder to accept an application for a PMB without needing to have your signature notarized or mailng stuff in. I spoke to Terri directly. That is why I wanted to get a PMB there, since I could have it set up for me the same day if I emailed the documents early enough.

mileena said:
I found out it is actually against Federal law for a mail forwarder to sign for your Ceritifed or Signature-Required USPS mail. You need to go to the lreceiving post office in person. My mail forwarder left everyone a notice in their boxes last year that we all had to sign:

I'm not so sure that's correct.  There is a difference between Certified Mail and Restricted Delivery Mail.  Restricted Delivery is an "add-on" that can be added to virtually all mail classes as described in the first attachment.  The box on the mail forwarding form only pertains to restricted delivery mail, not for regular certified.  Restricted delivery allows the sender to know that only the recipient can receive the item (unless the recipient signs the appropriate box on the mail forwarding form). 

Mail that isn't restricted delivery must be accepted by your mail forwarder as discussed in the second attachment.  As explained in that document refusing to accept a certified mail item probably doesn't get you off the hook with respect to claiming you never received it.  And your mail forwarder is required to accept it for you.

Attachments

• restricted.JPG
    restricted.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 4
  • certified.JPG
    certified.JPG
    317.4 KB · Views: 6
I appreciate your reply docj. But the form I posted said that you need to pick both Certified and Restricted types of mail at the post office in person. Anything that needs a USPS signature. And, with your attachments, are you saying the mail forwarder must accept all Certified Mail, even if you don't want to acept it?

Also, for some issues in some states, the sender must have you to accept the Ceritfied mail for it to be valid. Merely sending it with Proof of Mailing is not enough, as the sender needs proof that you actually received it. Jury duty summonses are one example. You cannot be arrested for ignoring one in any state, even if Certified, since there is no proof that you actually received it. You could have moved.

And tresspass notices in Pennsylvania. The place that wants to bar you can send you a Certified notice, but unless they can proof that you actually recieved it, it is not valid.

Just saw this on the Americas Mailbox website regarding the sudden closure of My Dakota Address

Hello MyDakotaAddress Members...

We're very sorry to hear that MyDakotaAddress has announced that they are going out of business with such short notice leaving many people scrambling on their own to get their mail, medications, passports, tickets, etc.

We were just as suprised as you were. Nobody from MyDakotaAddress called us here at Americas Mailbox and let us know either as we would have been able to step in and help everyone. As soon as we heard, we contact Terry at MyDakotaAddress and offered our help and assistance in any way we could.

We've always heard nice things about Terry and staff and we're sure this phase has been a huge challenge for her and staff as well.

In order to help you out and set up an account with Americas Mailbox, we are placing MyDakotaAddress members on a High Priority and will open an account for you as quickly as possible. We even have staff coming in on weekends to help you.

All you need to do is download the Full App Kit that we prepared for you and to help get a new account set up quickly, you can electronically send the documents to us either by fax or email. This file has more information you need at this time but it does explain what our programs are, the services each program offers and of course. (Click here for our Application Kit.)

All we need from you to get this started is...

The 2 page application for the program and plan you want.
The USPS Regulation Form 1583
(Please note: You DO NOT need to have this form notarized like you have had to do in the past. We'll take care of that for you.)
2 forms of ID...drivers license, passport, military ID, insurance policy card with policy numbers on it are some of the ID's that are accepted by the USPS.
That's it!

Once we get these files from you, we'll open your account and send you an email with your new address.

Then after you send the files to us electronically, simply drop them in the mail to us at 514 Americas Way, Box Elder SD 57719-7600 for us to complete the process.

Our email address is [email protected] and our fax number is 866-481-0676.

If you already have a South Dakota drivers license, all you have to do is phone the DMV in Pierre at (800) 952-3696 and give them your new address at Americas Mailbox. There is no need to come back to South Dakota until you need to renew your drivers license.

If you already have South Dakota license plates, all you have to do is call the Pennington County Treasurer's Office ​at  (605) 394-2163 to let them know your address at Americas Mailbox is the new address on your vehicles. Magically, upon renewal you will no longer be paying the Lake County wheel tax and you can continue to use the current license plates you already have.

Again folks, we're sorry that you are having to do this on such short notice but we here at Americas Mailbox is working overtime and on weekends to make sure you get an address in South Dakota as quickly (and easily) as possible.

By the way...please do your friends that are former MyDakotaAddress customers a big favor and let them know know that we're here for them and we will get them a new address quickly...even during the weekend.

Thank you for choosing Americas Mailbox.

Don, Barb and The Crew

###############

Some facts about Americas Mailbox...

We have been in operation since October 8, 2004. Some mail forwarding companies in South Dakota say they have been in business longer but when you check with the Secretary of State of South Dakota, you will see that they have not. (Check it out here. You might be surprised!)
We have over 30 people on staff.
Our facility is 9,000 sq ft and we have plans already in motion to add a 20,000 building.
We have our own full hook up campground as well as hotel, all here on premises.
As with the building, the campground is already being expanded.
We're doing approximately 10,000 vehicle registrations a year.
We have our own insurance company embedded within our company.
For those of you folks that would be interested, if you meet the qualifications, you would be allowed to apply for a Concealed Weapons Permit here in Pennington County. Click here for details.
And...every one of our members here at Americas Mailbox has the owners personal cell phone number should you want to talk directly to the owners days, early evenings, weekends and even minor holidays. That cell number is 605-593-4496.

Finally, the address that Americas Mailbox gives you is the last address you will ever need...for the rest of your life.
Even if you close your account and then decide to reopen it again in a few years, you will have the same address you had before. You will never have to change your address ever again unless you choose to!

mileena said:
But the form I posted said that you need to pick both Certified and Restricted types of mail at the post office in person.

In the ~8 years that I've used MyDakotaAddress they've received several certified mail items for me.  How can any full-timer rely on having to go to a Post Office in SD to pick up mail?  That would totally undermine the purpose of having a mail forwarding service IMHO.

FWIW, if you have DirecTV DNS service and aren't grandfathered in to have both East and West Coast feeds, the feed you get depends on the location of your billing address.  If you have a mail forwarder in the eastern portion of SD, which is on Central Time you will get the East Coast feed. If you have one in the western (Mountain Time Zone) you will get the West Coast feed.  Since we spend a lot of time in the Central and Eastern time zones it would be a real nuisance for us to have the Western feed.  That's one reason why I didn't consider a mail forwarding service in Rapid City to replace MyDakotaAddress

NY_Dutch said:
Joel, does DTV determine which DNS feed you get based on your billing address, or your service address?

I've always been told that it was billing address.  Service address determines the local channels you receive but not the DNS.

My specific experience with this was when we did a volunteer stint out Port Townsend WA.  I changed my service address and was able to receive the Seattle locals channels, but my DNS stayed on the East Coast.  That way we could watch the late night shows at 8:30pm!  ;D

Of course, this doesn't preclude you from putting someone else's address down as your billing address.  I rarely, if ever, get actual mail from DTV.  Once your credit is approved for an account you should be able to change your billing address to anything you wish.

Ahh, ok... As a Dish subscriber, I wasn't familiar with how DTV handled it. Dish only has one DNS feed at this point, from the west, so it doesn't matter what address you're using for billing or service. We prefer the locals where ever we are anyway, so paying extra for DNS doesn't make sense for us.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom