My door window fell a little.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I just happened to look over towards my RV and the window in the door look odd. What had happened was is the glass dropped about 1" leaving a opening at the top of about 3/4". I took the window out. It was held in by a inside frame where all the screws are and a outside frame. What had happened is at the bottom of both frames there are 2 standouts/pins on each frame for the window to sit on. All 4 were broken off. No big deal. I'm just going to rotate both frames 180 degrees. The top will be on the bottom now and the bottom will be on the top. No need of having pins at the top.

I ordered some butyl caulk in a tube:

https://www.amazon.com/Red-Devil-06970I-Rubber-Sealant/dp/B004HMIS74/ref=sr_1_2?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsPrN7JqK4wIVyCaGCh0oQwaBEAAYASAAEgJ6iPD_BwE&hvadid=345577097276&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9002499&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9889679062987534003&hvtargid=aud-646675774026%3Akwd-296414881420&hydadcr=2047_9901418&keywords=butyl%2Bcaulk&qid=1561657319&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1

I've got one question now. Can someone check the glass in their door? Mine is sort of textured on one side and the other side is smooth just like glass because it is. Does the smooth side face in or face out. I'm assuming that the smooth side faces out. If the textured side faced out I think it would hold road grime real good.

My window is the same finish on both sides. I have not been able to figure out who made it. No identification on it.

My guess would be yes, texture side in. Unless of course you live in Iceland or the north pole. I don't think active mold and mildew would generally be found on the exterior of rv's in those locations.

Rene,

I had this same problem.  I don't recommend flipping the frame, it will help in the short term and then happen again.  I found a piece of wood that was the right width when laid in there to hold the glass in the right position, right thickness also as to not get in the way when putting everything back together.  I also used a clear caulk between the frame and the glass on the outside and inside. 

Textured side in.

Bobtop46 said:
Rene,

I had this same problem.  I don't recommend flipping the frame, it will help in the short term and then happen again.  I found a piece of wood that was the right width when laid in there to hold the glass in the right position, right thickness also as to not get in the way when putting everything back together.  I also used a clear caulk between the frame and the glass on the outside and inside. 

Textured side in.

I had also planned in adding a small block under the glass to catch it if the pins should break again.
I ordered a tube of gray butyl caulk. My RV is gray so if it oose's out, it will match.

As stated before the pins will break again, and a lot sooner than you?d expect.  The plastic does not handle heat well.

I recommend using the wood blocks in place of the pins.  Not to catch the window when the pins go.  Take the pins out completely and replace them with a piece of wood the right size to fully support the window.

I?ve done several this way and never had a problem again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom