My DP is full of fuel from last fall and I probably wont use it this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

RV was winterized and got a full diesel service last fall. Filled it and added diesel fuel conditioner before storage. Started easily and ran fine driving it home from storage in May. Good chance we won't use it this year. Wondering if I need to do anything about the fuel as it may be winter or spring before we go anywhere and I DEFINITELY don't want to create problems by letting the fuel get too old.

thx to anyone offering advice.

mark in MN

Ksouers

The good news is the cold won't hurt the fuel. It will gel up in cold weather and that can clog filters if you try to run it. But when it warms up will start flowing again. The problem you may have with long term storage is growing algae. You may want to treat the fuel with algaecide, should be available at any truck stop. A water dispersant won't hurt, either. You may also find a spare fuel filter to be handy, I always kept a spare on my trucks.

Kevin

Isaac-1

Did you fill it with straight diesel fuel, or a biodiesel blend, in some parts of the country it is getting hard to find anything that is not 10-20% bio-diesel. I ask because bio-diesel breaks down much faster than regular diesel

John From Detroit

I agree Diesel (The pure stuff) is a long term fuel Stores well other than Algae and you can get stuff to kill that.
True story.. Gent I know has a beautiful Blue Bird.. Well first he had generator issues (Would not run well)( Then the main engine.> They replaced the fuel filter (Wrong type) and the problem quickly returned. he called a mobile tech who replaced ONE fuel filter (Secondary) But totally missed the primary.
I spotted it. pointed it out and he was good to go with a nice bottle of Algaecide.

Tom

Administrator
The good news is the cold won't hurt the fuel. It will gel up in cold weather and that can clog filters if you try to run it. But when it warms up will start flowing again. The problem you may have with long term storage is growing algae. You may want to treat the fuel with algaecide, should be available at any truck stop. A water dispersant won't hurt, either. You may also find a spare fuel filter to be handy, I always kept a spare on my trucks.

Kevin
Aye Kevin. We used biocide in the diesel tanks (500 gallons) on our boat when stored for long periods. Algae can grow irrespective of temperature, and can clog filters. Used to buy it at West Marine. I see that amazon now sells it.

oldryder

Thx for comments. I am in MN and our state leadership, in their infinite wisdom, has mandated a bio-diesel pollutant in our fuel. I would appreciate a reference to a particular biocide product as there are many many options.

Tom

Administrator
Thx for comments. I am in MN and our state leadership, in their infinite wisdom, has mandated a bio-diesel pollutant in our fuel. I would appreciate a reference to a particular biocide product as there are many many options.
Here's what we used for many years:

I suspect you can find alternatives online.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drakesexcape
Top Bottom