My First Job...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Work for my neighbor at his movie theater as an usher and concessions. 1966 and made .75 an hour. Saw the movie the Unsinkable Molly Brown a zillion times. I was happy to wrap up that career in favor of daily doubles.

Work for my neighbor at his movie theater as an usher and concessions. 1966 and made .75 an hour. Saw the movie the Unsinkable Molly Brown a zillion times. I was happy to wrap up that career in favor of daily doubles.

I grew up in my younger years in Australia. It's normal to start apprenticing at 16 if you are destined for college. I started younger than that as things were a lot looser back then.

I worked in the Victorian theater as a lighting tech. Saw some good shows and ballets. They also had an old arc welder projector and would show movies. I projected for the Wizard of Oz for like 2 weeks straight. Amazingly that's a movie I could still watch tonight and enjoy it.

12-14 - Newspaper boy
14-15 - Lighting apprentice
15-20 - Dishhand, prep cook, sous chef - Worked banquets, wedding and French Fusion restaurant - Looked out at the diners one New Years eve and realized I was on the wrong side of the window.
17-18 - Went to A&P school while working in restaurants and retail.
18-21 - Worked in commercial aviation as a mech. Glider School and then a cargo outfit
21-60 - Field Engineer, Field Engineering manager and director, Controlled Title Engineer (safety, design and formal mentor), Customer Support business manager for a jet engine company.

Somewhere in there went to night school and earned my BSc in Aeronautical Engineering.

Now I chop down trees, eat my lunch and go to the lavatreeee...

My first job was babysitting. Pretty simple huh? However one night someone came to the door brandishing a gun. I was probably 14 at the time. I don't know where I got the wisdom to shut the door and call my parents who called the police. Another time I was babysitting six kids and the neighbor came in the back door screaming in pain with her three kids in tow. She has three degree burns from spilling a pan of grease on her arms. Somehow I had enough sense to call 911 and managed to follow their advice while taking care of nine kids. I was probably 15 years old at that time.

Next job was picking raspberries.

The following job was working the early, early, shift at a bakery. Everyday I went to high school smelling like deep fried donuts.
Donuts? Probably a real hit with the local police. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom