My interior doors never stay put!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maanameg

Hello! I have done research on how to fix my interior doors in my travel trailer to stop opening and closing on their own. I watched a youtube video on regular interior doors that do this and they suggested I remove the middle pin and put a slight bend in it, well, the doors aren't like regular doors and the pin is unreachable, I can't even see it to remove it, it's so teeny. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem? I cannot for the life of me line it up right either by adjusting the screws, plates, etc. Thanks in advance!

Pantry in our rig has slideout drawer things that, when loaded up, pushed the doors open on the road. Pretty annoying.

My cheap and easy solution may work for you. I put Command Strip picture hanger strips, like this, on each door. One on the door, the mate on the cabinet frame. These are the kind that look like plastic velcro and click together. Before we hit the road, we just make sure they are "clicked" and voila, no doors opening ever!

Costs just a few bucks, works a treat, and requires zero holes or modifications.

Check the striker. On my bathroom door this occured. What I found was that the gap between the door and the frame was too wide. The cure was to shim the striker out. No more problems.

To add to Rene's post, on any rig, even a slight twisting of the rig's body can misalign the doors/latches, and/or let gravity make them drift open, so being off level can cause some of that, but not quite even leveling can do a lot of it, too.

Passage door I just close before travel. Like has been mentioned you may need to adjust, shim the striker. Door knob coming out like it should to catch the striker?

To add to Rene's post, on any rig, even a slight twisting of the rig's body can misalign the doors/latches, and/or let gravity make them drift open, so being off level can cause some of that, but not quite even leveling can do a lot of it, too.
Me too. If on the wheels the head door latches. If on the jacks and levelled it latches.

It seems worst if one leg has to be extended more than others due to a diagonal unlevel. i.e Driver front low and that jack needs a lot of extension, although it will straighten out when I get close to level. I attribute it to frame twisting.

I'm still in the dark. Is this swinging doors or pocket doors? One solution will not solve both type doors.
The OP did say/talked about removing the pin on the middle hinge and bending it a little so I guess it’s a swinging style door

I have only one door -- bathroom -- which would unlatch and swing open with twists and turns on the roads. I solved the problem with taking off the door lever as it kept catching on belt loops, pockets, etc. Plus I didn't need to lock it. I use a bungee thru the knob hole and then hook each end of the bungee to the cabinet pulls outside the bathroom. Not tight tight but enough to keep it from slamming shut and swinging open. Still working on a solution for the cabinets over the driver and passenger!

Back
Top Bottom