My pet peeve = grammar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My pet peeve, is one of the more common errors that occurs when people try to show off their (supposed) knowledge of grammar. They will write something like "Charlie gave me a ball." that is correct. However, if I have a friend, they will write Charlie gave Mike and I a ball." That is not correct. I should be "Charlie gave Mike and me a ball." That may not sound correct, but it is.

"Me" is objective. It will stay objective no matter how many people are with me. "I" is subjective. It will stay subjective no matter how many people are with me.

The same confusion occurs with several pairs of pronouns. In the following list, the pronouns in the first column are subjective, while those in the second column are objective.
I Me
He Him
She Her
We Us
They Them

Joel

Their are to many people on the internet that want to impose they're will on other people and they should mind there own business...

Grammar is useful...

View attachment 149095
True story. In 2003 I was on a trip to visit all the National Parks in the USA. I got to Great Sand Dunes NP in Colorado and I wanted to go hiking so I went into the visitors center for a hiking map. Dead seriously the ranger gave me the map and told me that I should wear an orange jacket or something equally as bright. He told hunting season just began and the woods were thick with hunters. I said but you can't shoot a gun in a National Park. He told me it was a National Park and Reserve and hunting is allowed in the Preserve which borders the Park. They had about three rangers working there so I decided I didn't really want to go hiking after all.

We had a nice quite night in the Walmart lot.
Sight, site, cite.
Payed vs paid.
's to form a plural (argh)

I wince when I see thread titles like "Problem with my breaks." One more thread I'll never be able to find with the Search function when I have a brake problem.

I've got a book suggestion for you, IBtripping!

I've got a few of those little things people say that bother me... the one that comes to mind at the moment is take vs bring.
Yes, take vs bring bugs me, too. Even my oldest son does that, and I was never able to cure him of using bring when he meant take, no matter how hard I tried (just about every time I heard that), so I expect it was friends, school, etc. that did that -- it certainly didn't come from his parents. Peak vs pique, too, and many more that I can't think of now.

I wince when I see thread titles like "Problem with my breaks." One more thread I'll never be able to find with the Search function when I have a brake problem.
Maybe when THEY BRAKE TOO hard THEY BREAK THEIR BRAKES causing havoc on the road THEY’RE traveling on. TOO many folks tend TO do this upsetting those (oh crap, is it whom or who) are traveling with them. :cool:

Yes, take vs bring bugs me, too. Even my oldest son does that, and I was never able to cure him of using bring when he meant take, no matter how hard I tried (just about every time I heard that), so I expect it was friends, school, etc. that did that -- it certainly didn't come from his parents. Peak vs pique, too, and many more that I can't think of now.
And maybe it should be LEAVE a dump rather than TAKE A DUMP. Where would you take it to.

My pet peeve, is one of the more common errors that occurs when people try to show off their (supposed) knowledge of grammar. They will write something like "Charlie gave me a ball." that is correct. However, if I have a friend, they will write Charlie gave Mike and I a ball." That is not correct. I should be "Charlie gave Mike and me a ball." That may not sound correct, but it is.
Similar to me vs. I, something I see a lot in my company is the use of "myself". Runs from entry level right up to the executives. "If you have a problem, let Joe or myself know."

"The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!"
Maybe this should be The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing if you have prefect grammar.

"Impact" is a noun, not a verb. One thing can affect, change, or influence another but it cannot impact it. The made-up adjective "impactful" makes me cringe even more.
"Should've" is short for "should have," not for "should of."
A word can have several or many meanings. Saying that it has "multiple" or "numerous" meanings unnecessarily glamorizes a simple and clear intent.

"The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!"
Maybe this should be The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing if you have prefect grammar.
As with any forum folks are free to scroll past topics they are not interested in. We have had many discussions on this forum about many topics unrelated to RV’s or RVing. Topics such as Creamy or Smooth (peanut butter), Folded or Wadded (toilet paper), many discussions about EV’s and alternative power. We are a very diverse group with a plethora of opinions and backgrounds. We do not engage in these types of discussions to embarrass or make fun of folks but if one reads the replies and learns something from them maybe their posts would become readable. I have an MEd and I have learned some important grammar rules in this topic.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom