My pet peeve = grammar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As with any forum folks are free to scroll past topics they are not interested in. We have had many discussions on this forum about many topics unrelated to RV’s or RVing. Topics such as Creamy or Smooth (peanut butter), Folded or Wadded (toilet paper), many discussions about EV’s and alternative power. We are a very diverse group with a plethora of opinions and backgrounds. We do not engage in these types of discussions to embarrass or make fun of folks but if one reads the replies and learns something from them maybe their posts would become readable. I have an MEd and I have learned some important grammar rules in this topic.
Me too. But what people are failing to recognize is the no language is set in stone. Languages change over time. If enough people use a new word like velo for velocity then it will eventually will become a real new word. OED (Oxford English Dictionary) adds many new words every year. Anti-vaxxer is one of the latest. It is amazing how many new words get added every year.

Me too. But what people are failing to recognize is the no language is set in stone. Languages change over time. If enough people use a new word like velo for velocity then it will eventually will become a real new word. OED (Oxford English Dictionary) adds many new words every year. Anti-vaxxer is one of the latest. It is amazing how many new words get added every year.

Ain’t was added to the dictionary many years ago. Here is a list of words and phrases added to the 2021 Mariam-Webster dictionary.

They will write something like "Charlie gave me a ball." that is correct. However, if I have a friend, they will write Charlie gave Mike and I a ball." That is not correct. I should be "Charlie gave Mike and me a ball."

One grammar teacher of mine gave me an easy test: For whether it's Charlie and ME or Charlie and I, just leave out Charlie and figure whether you should use ME or I if it's only referring to you. So, "The ball hit me" means it should be "The ball hit Charlie and ME" while, "I went to the game" means it should be "Charlie and I went to the game."

"The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!"
Maybe this should be The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing if you have prefect grammar.
How often do you see these "pet peeves" actually expressed when they're encountered in threads asking for assistance? This Shade Tree section is expressly for those who wish to do so to discuss things at random, just as if we were actually just lazing under a shade tree on a nice summer day, shooting the breeze (well, figuratively at least).

The threads asking for assistance generally do get that friendliness, and personal attacks aren't allowed ANYWHERE on this site, and even this specific thread where you voice the above opinion is being conducted in a reasonably friendly manner -- discussion among friends.

One other that bothers me, the use of "presently" instead of "at present" or "currently." Granted that this usage is now in many (most?) dictionaries, but when I grew up it was, "I'll be there presently" meaning I'll be there soon.

Yes, the language changes, but not always for the best.
We used to solve problems. Now we solution them. We used to try. Now we effort.

If they do that I don't bother to read and try and decipher the gibberish, my patience is too short. My pet peeve at the moment is 'awesome', imo the speaker should be placed against a wall at dawn and given last choice of cigarette. My companion at lunch today must have said it at least six times, I was ready to scream!

I find it difficult to listen to some (mostly younger) people speak without counting the number of times they use the word "like." It's so distracting, their message gets lost.

Not being grammatically correct is, in my view, one of those things that doesn't warrant cringing. To me, it comes under the general heading, small stuff. And I think the following sage advice is appropriate here. Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff.

Not being grammatically correct is, in my view, one of those things that doesn't warrant cringing. To me, it comes under the general heading, small stuff. And I think the following sage advice is appropriate here. Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff.
Yeah but sometimes it is cringe worthy. Good grammar should be the norm.

I may be busy, or multi-tasking when I reply to a thread, but I do generally try to make it somewhat grammatically correct. Though if I am in a rush, I prefer to get the answer out there to someone in need, even if the sentence structure is not perfect.

I find it difficult to listen to some (mostly younger) people speak without counting the number of times they use the word "like." It's so distracting, their message gets lost.
Do you mean in place of "such as" ? "Like" has many definitions.

BTW,

"Love is that feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."
- Hunter S. Thompson

-Don- Reno, NV

Do you mean in place of "such as" ? "Like" has many definitions.

I don't often hear it used to mean "such as" or as a term of affection.
It's either a verbal "give me time to think" or a modifier to explain "I'm unsure how to express my meaning exactly but it's close to_____." Or maybe it's both; either way it's distracting.
"So, yeah, I'm, like, taking part in this, like, forum, and I have something to say but, like, the words don't come so I'm, like, having a hard time...."
Often uttered in a questioning, more than declarative, tone.

(HST, on the other hand, knew what he wanted to say and found the words to express it.)

Watch any sports program where they interview athletes. The number of 'you knows' shows their intelligence level. Usually around sixth grade would be my guess, you know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom